Why wear a helmet????- Mtbr.com
    PM Me for Wood Fenders

... and if we just ... Why wear a helmet????

Because this could have been my skull today.
    Attachment 253081

Any other questions?
    Last edited by TrekJeff; 12-10-2007 at 01:40 AM.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

Apr 2007
    Yeah i should be better about wearing my lid. I only do when im riding a dh trail and even then sometimes i dont. Yeah i know im an idiot.

I post too much.
    I always do. Thanks for the reminder still.

mtbr member
    it's a no brainer (no pun intended). wear a helmet, don't be a [email protected]

Apr 2007
    No helmet seeing as how it landed me a 3in scar on my forhead. I had glasses on, fell and it pushed my glasses to the point where it sliced my forhead to the bone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    When i saw the topic title i said in my head "what an idiot" thinking it was a noob wondering why he should put one on... Its good to remind people TrekJeff, thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Dang, Ionic--are you hitting your avatar or are you the avatar and if so can i have your phone number????

Hey--about helmets--if you got a cheap, replaceable head, you don't need a helmet.

Oct 2005
    r0nin89 i hope your joking about not wearing a helmet. i would recomend investsting in sports glasses, like the kind basketball players wear

Former Bike Wrench

Idea! brain damage

Quote Originally Posted by r0nin89
    No helmet seeing as how it landed me a 3in scar on my forhead. I had glasses on, fell and it pushed my glasses to the point where it sliced my forhead to the bone.
    Obviously you have already suffered severe brain trauma (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here...by not assuming you were just born this stupid). Might want to protect those remaining brain cells!

mtbr member
    Here's mine from a couple of months ago:

My forehead got bruised from the impact, but other than that, I was good to go.
    :wq

Mar 2007
    It's funny because I would never concern myself with wearing my helmet while riding around town, but after riding XC I cannot bring myself to ride my bike without my helmet no matter what

Jun 2006
    When I saw the title I thought someone was starting an argument about why bother wearing a helmet. Really glad to find it was about someone Wearing one.

mtbr member
    I will never forget this thread from a few years back from a fellow that didnt wear his helmet...

https://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-protection/always-wear-you-helmet-nasty-picture-111566.html

Jun 2006
    I remeber that thread-nasty stuff there. Guy isn't fat-just swollen.

mtbr member

Too easy....

My bike is cooler then me

crashing is my new part time job

heres mine... crushed the whole back and cracked it in half... woke up with a broken clavical, rib and knee cap (dislocated as well) got all my junk and walked out of the woods. with out it i wouldnt have use of my legs i've been told.

GOOD NEWS i got to be my alterego in the ER ... NECK BRACE MAN MAN FACE FACE. the nurses liked me

'09 Cannondale Moto Carbon 2

'is that a Thomson in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?'

Aug 2004
    Helmet or diaper - take your pick.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    From a couple of weeks ago where I endo'd and got launched superman stylee straight into a tree. Got up and walked away without a mark, without the helmet it would have been a lot worse.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicsuby
    Here's mine from a couple of months ago:

My forehead got bruised from the impact, but other than that, I was good to go.
    Cool, you still had mud on yours.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Now for a MANLY helmet crash pic

Here is pic of my friends helmet after he did a head stand. I watched the entire event, which now seems like it was in slow motion, where he was crossing the center part of the road, somehow got the front wheel twisted 90 degrees to his direction of travel, flipped up in the air, at one point everything was inverted, then he came down on the front part of his helmet.

He looked like he went a few rounds with a boxer with the black eyes and all. The most painful part of his crash were the cuts behind his ears cause by the helmet straps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I bike; therefore, I work

College Boy
    so how I think your friend is very very glad he had on his helmet that day.

As for another reason to wear a helmet beside safety is dealing those little branchs that are some times just a little to low. With a helmet you can just put your head down and go right though them. Something that you would not do with out a helmet and feeling a little pain.

Apr 2007
    Yeah I wasnt joking. No helmet since 4th grade... Put ur hands infront of you

mtbr member
    very cool attitude you have there what about when one catches you out.

i was 15 and some dude at school decided to give me a nudge,as we were running down to the canteen for dinner,now unfortunately i never thought of putting my hands in front of me and hit the girder supporting one of the buildings,fractured my cheek bone and put me in hospital,for a week.

now the average running speed of a human is 10-15 mph so i was lucky it werent on a bike.

but seeing as your a newb and possibly still got your training whells on and possibly dont get over 3 mph maybe your hand trick will work.

wannabe corporate shill
    Jan 2006

good luck with that.

dirty trail dog
    Quote Originally Posted by grnxb
    good luck with that.
    Eh, 17 year olds are indestructable, aren't they?
    yep...

Former Bike Wrench

Good job! that proves it then

Jeez, I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt...but you proved you were just born stupid!

"It's better to let people assume your an idiot...then to open your mouth and prove it!"

NMBP
    I was riding at Gooseberry a few weeks ago (with helmet on). I was walking and ducked under a tree branch then I stood up. I got beaned by a branch that I couldn't see when I had ducked. Knocked myself silly, I had a sore neck for days. Just goes to show that you should wear your helmet even when you are not riding your bike.

College Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Jeez, I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt...but you proved you were just born stupid!

"It's better to let people assume your an idiot...then to open your mouth and prove it!"

At least his answer is better than a friend of my brother. His friend reasoning for not wearing a helmet is his skull is his helmet. And yes they do think he is stupid for not wearing one.

Jump in
    So you'll be in 5th grade next year?

Jump in
    Again?

mtbr member
    Brilliant, a broken wrist and smashed face and head!
    :wq

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebus
    (Hasn't worn a helmet since the 4th grade....7 years ago.)
    And probably still in the 5th grade, based on the level of intelligence in the posts above.

He'll learn -- Probably the hard way, with that attitude.
    mtbchk.blog.com
    www.dirtdivas.net
    www.tarheeltrailblazers.com

My bike is cooler then me
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebus

for about a three seconds... or untill he hits termial velocity.

he'll grow into gravity one of these days
    '09 Cannondale Moto Carbon 2

'is that a Thomson in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?'

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    i'm lucky. took a good spill last weekend where my front wheel stopped dead in the soft stuff and i went over the handlebars. face first into the ground. not sure if a helmet would have made a diff. i had glasses on and they gave me a 2 inch cut under my eye. needless to say i'm lucky, could have lost and eye, been paralyzed, or dead. spent 6 hours in the er. i will not be riding in the future without a helmet.

again, i'm just glad i got out of it with the damage i have.

Apr 2004
    I have two daughters who are just now getting to riding age. I make them wear helmets. I wear one because they like to do what I do. Plus, I hate the thought of falling and something happening to my head and me not being able to enjoy them growing up.

Helmets may look funny or be uncomfortable, or whatever. But think about how funny looking you'll be with your brains scattered all over the trail. I think that would be pretty uncomfortable...

College Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmCosmo
    I have two daughters who are just now getting to riding age. I make them wear helmets. I wear one because they like to do what I do. Plus, I hate the thought of falling and something happening to my head and me not being able to enjoy them growing up.

Helmets may look funny or be uncomfortable, or whatever. But think about how funny looking you'll be with your brains scattered all over the trail. I think that would be pretty uncomfortable...
    true that they make look funny and not be the most comfortable things to wear but I know on the trails you look out of place by not having one.

I think for helmets it is well worth paying the extra cost for one that is comfortable because you are more likely to wear it if it feel comfortable one ones head.

Yes 10 buck walmart helmet will protect you head just as well as the 100+ helmet from a bike shop. They all pass the same test. Just the 100 buck helmet will feel a lot better on ones head.

2 miles & my butt hurts!
    We got to the starting point of a trail (4 hours from home) and I realized I had forgot my helmet. We drove 7 miles to Wal-mart and I bought one. I'm not getting on the bike without it.

well mannered lout
    I was riding with a friend once when we stopped up a trail waiting for the rest of our group. He stopped and grabbed a tree rather then have to clip out. When he did, a dead branch 4 or 5 inches in diameter fell from a couple of feet up, whacked him right on top of his head and dropped him right there.Same guy another time had some kind of hawk attack him and his helmet saved him that time too.Always use protection.

Former Bike Wrench
    Back in 1999, I had a major wipeout while riding outside of Las Vegas (was a UNLV student at the time). I have no recollection of the wreck and since I was in the back of the pack of riders...no one saw me go down. My friends waited for me at the next trail intersection for about 5 minutes according to them before I showed up worse for the wear. Long story short, my helmet was broken in three places (but the shell was holding it together) and I was taken to the hospital. I suffered a major concussion...one I still have lingering effects from BUT I'm still alive and I'm still riding a bike (instead of a motorized wheelchair for instance).

Road or Mountain...I will not ride w/o one. And you know what, most bike riders will agree that when it comes to riding a bike, helmets don't look dorky...not wearing one is what looks dorky

Mar 2007
    I'll never understand people that don't wear helmets. Something tells me you'd have some issues getting your health insurance to cover an injury that was more severe due to not wearing one.

mtbr member
    is natural selection going to take care of this guy before he breeds?
    There's always money in the banana stand.

Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless
    true that they make look funny and not be the most comfortable things to wear but I know on the trails you look out of place by not having one.

I think for helmets it is well worth paying the extra cost for one that is comfortable because you are more likely to wear it if it feel comfortable one ones head.

Yes 10 buck walmart helmet will protect you head just as well as the 100+ helmet from a bike shop. They all pass the same test. Just the 100 buck helmet will feel a lot better on ones head.
    This, pretty much.
    As long as the thing is snell rated, a $10 special will be the same in a crash as a giro atmos with team discovery graphics. However, and it's a big however, the more expensive the helmet, the better the cooling tends to be, the lighter the weight tends to be, the more confortable the fit tends to be and sometimes you get extra reinforcement with stuff like a carbon outer shell.

If you spend $10 on a helmet, but decide you don't want to wear it since it looks dorky, weighs a half ton and makes your head cook, it's $10 wasted and your skull in danger should something happen. If you spend money on a proper helmet you like which fits you comfortably, then at least you'll wear the thing. You'd be surprised I'd guess just how comfortable something like an atmos is. You don't feel hot or as if you've a 20 ton weight strapped to your head, you forget about it so quickly.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Today you can find style and protection for under $50. Jenson, Nashbar, Price Point ect all have a decent selection. SNELL is still the highest standard, it's higher than the consumer standard to sell. But a helmet rated/tested under CPSC is still the standard quality, although Snell is the Cadillac. http://www.helmets.org/stdchart.htmSure you can spend three digits and make Lance envious..well ok, maybe not that, but you can also get a lightweight, cool helmet at a practical price. After all, how much did you spend on those other gota have "practical" biking items...lol. I'll spend %10 of the price of my bike to protect the motor.
    Last edited by TrekJeff; 04-25-2007 at 10:20 PM.

College Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardent
    This, pretty much.
    As long as the thing is snell rated, a $10 special will be the same in a crash as a giro atmos with team discovery graphics. However, and it's a big however, the more expensive the helmet, the better the cooling tends to be, the lighter the weight tends to be, the more confortable the fit tends to be and sometimes you get extra reinforcement with stuff like a carbon outer shell.

If you spend $10 on a helmet, but decide you don't want to wear it since it looks dorky, weighs a half ton and makes your head cook, it's $10 wasted and your skull in danger should something happen. If you spend money on a proper helmet you like which fits you comfortably, then at least you'll wear the thing. You'd be surprised I'd guess just how comfortable something like an atmos is. You don't feel hot or as if you've a 20 ton weight strapped to your head, you forget about it so quickly.
    I will say you can get a good helmet that feels good on ones head for 60 at most. I paid 60 for my helmet 4 years ago and it was a huge step up from teh 20 buck one I used before hand but well worth it. After 60 bucks you get less bang for your buck but they do start getting better and better. I want to replace my helmet at some point just right now I do not have the money to get a new one and the one I currently use is still in good shape.

I know if I went out and bought a walmart helmet I would not like riding as much and they do not feel as good on ones head. For 60 I paid it a great helmet that looks pretty nice. As cool as a helmet can get but personaly I think on the trail one looks dorky if they are not wearing ah helmet.

I do want to get one those nice Giro or specialized helmets just I have to get some money first.

Staying out of the way
    Kind of a side topic, but we were just talking about this at the bike shop the other day.

When I first started riding road bikes, all we wore was the silly little mini-hats LOL! Now when I see a person, or especially a kid riding without a helmet, I get a little riled up. I wish more people would realize how easily we can go from fully functional to wearing diapers for the rest of our lives. We are very fragile, some of just don't know it.

This is definantly something that changed for the better.

May 2007
    I went over the bars off a 3 foot high plank and broke off my visor and a good chunk of foam out of the front of my helmet....could have been my face.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Yeah...I did an Endo yesterday. Caught the handle bar end in the left sid of the chest and some how smashed the left side of my shoulder blade. Not sure if any damage was done to the helmet....I sure hope not, that would be two helmets in a month....Until this year the only reason I bought a new helmet was because of size or style changes...lol

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Thing is... it's natural selection. Stupid people don't wear helmets.. and they die. Clever people wear helmets and survive. Suits me just fine

Pro Lurker
    May 2006
    All I can say is Stupid Hurts!
    2008 Stumpjumper FSR Elite
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural stupidity"

Dirt Abuser
    I'm thinking about getting some elbow and knee pads... They don't look too cool, but it beats being skinned to the bone...

Members who have read this thread: 0