Why is stuff soo dam expensive!!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Why is stuff soo dam expensive!!!!

Went to some LBS's yesterday. Looking for some shorts. Not to fancy, Thin, Black, with velcro waist adjustments and a bit of Lycra or whatever strechieness to them. $175!!!!! No chamois, no pockets, just shorts

WTF is wrong with the MTB world? They were not even Fox or anything big bike brand. Ion I think they were.
    I'm goin to walmart, screw this.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
    Went to some LBS's yesterday. Looking for some shorts. Not to fancy, Thin, Black, with velcro waist adjustments and a bit of Lycra or whatever strechieness to them. $175!!!!! No chamois, no pockets, just shorts

WTF is wrong with the MTB world? They were not even Fox or anything big bike brand. Ion I think they were.
    Like any other consumer item, there is a wide range of price. Niche brands are generally more expensive than the big brands. Not all MTB shorts are expensive. Do you think Pappy Van Winkle is the only option if you want to buy bourbon?

mtbr member
    sometimes you get what you pay for, and others you don't. some shops charge unreasonable markups, some don't.

I spend money on nice bibs, and buy cheap nylon cargo shorts... never been a problem durability wise, and are cooler than typical mtb baggies. Put your money where it matters most.

mtbr member
    This is why I buy last year's stuff or ugly colors... unless I have gift cards. Hit the outlets, the warehouses, and the net specials. Certain things, like spd shoes, that I need to try on before purchasing are the only things I will buy from the LBS. Most of the money I spend that goes their way are mechanic fees.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Look on amazon, prob less than $50. I agree with an above poster, buy good bibs/shorts and cover with a pair of poly shorts. I sometimes use my Nike/Adidas golf shorts (thin, stretchy) to ride in. In the golf world, the Walmart Ben Hogan golf shorts are legendary for their $17 price and quality that is close to the $50+ golf shorts from Nike/Adidas/UA.

Stop in there and buy 3+ pairs instead of fancy Fox shorts. If they get trashed, no harm no foul.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    This is why I buy last year's stuff or ugly colors... unless I have gift cards. Hit the outlets, the warehouses, and the net specials. Certain things, like spd shoes, that I need to try on before purchasing are the only things I will buy from the LBS. Most of the money I spend that goes their way are mechanic fees.
    Ding Ding- I always buy my mountain bike clothing when it's the year end sale. For example, price point chamois liner had great reviews, at the end of the year they were marked down to $9.95- got three for less than a single pair of others. You just need to shop the close outs.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    WTF is wrong with the MTB world?
    Mostly people are too lazy to shop around and grab the first pair of shorts they find for $175 and assume that's the only option.

I went to Jenson and clicked on men's MTB shorts and then selected $50 or less and in 10 seconds got 23 choices. You don't have to buy online, but by using websites like that it will give you an idea what sorts of prices are reasonable.

FWIW if I select only shorts $150+ I get two choices. So you have to work really hard to spend $175 for a pair of MTB shorts.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Always in the wrong gear
    It doesn't have to be.
    I regularly ride in Kohl's house-brand dry-fit Tees.
    I know I'll get some haters for this but Chinese eBay 3-pocket jerseys are a pretty decent quality top as long as you can work out their ridiculous sizing (5'9"/150# is XL? What?)
    Stay away from the Lycra shots tho. The chamois are awful.
    I have a pair of Arsuxseo baggies that are decent, but long, like below my knee. Very 'enduro-bro' They've held up well, though.

My favorite baggies/casuals are Zero-Xposure brand 'Adventure shorts'. Good seams, good pockets, cool, stretchy.
    They were like $17. Can be found at Sam's Club, and Target.

They're more styled like Zoic shorts.

mtbr member
    I won't blink an eye over spending $100+ on a pair of good mtb shorts (bibs). There is a difference, and gosh darn it, I'm worth it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Most shops will sell for RRP...

Online will sell the cheapest possible.

If you talk to someone, or wait till sales, you might be able to get a little bit off and meet in the middle.

My last purchase, was buy 2 items get 10% off, 3 items 20% off.. or something.
    I bought shorts shirt .. and a tyre I think, all for 20% off of my already discounted price

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    175 is way high IMHO. You can easily find quality gear like Endura Humvees online for 40 to 90 bucks. Buy good quality gear, it'll last forever and when you go sliding down a rocky downhill or similar "incident". you won't be riding the rest of the trail with your bare bleeding ass hanging out in the wind.

GD Newcomer aka Old MTN Goat

mtbr member
    All my shorts are from "bike" companies. Troy Lee, Fox, Alpinestars, etc...and they all were under 40 bucks. My two favorite pairs are under 20. You just have to be patient and look around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have lots of $20 to $40 shorts and jerseys from big name brands bought at season end sales. No question that some clothing is ridiculously priced for no good reason. I will pay bigger bucks for my bib shorts. Not for simple over shorts or plain jerseys though.

mtbr member
    Any recommendation for a good chamois? Quality and comfort first.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I was able to get the Fox Head Sergeant in 34" Olive for $42+ shipping. Actually found that the day before last. Still waiting on shipping. They retailed for $98usd on release.
    Goodbye '95 ZJ. Just so you know, transfering box of left behind womens panties to next truck. Thank you ZJ!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

$175 is crazy, but I would not hesitate to spend $100 on a pair of quality shorts with a good chamois.

I am partial to the higher end Sugio shorts.

I go pretty cheap on the shirts, jackets, socks, and glasses, though.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    First mistake was going to a LBS to shop for apparel. I like my LBS and I support them but it's not the first place I look when I want apparel.

Cactus Cuddler
    Because people will buy it, instead of cross-shopping. Not inherently bad, but there are MUCH better options, especially if looking outside of that particular source is mentioned as an option.

For reference, this is the kit I use - not strictly because it's a ton cheaper, but mostly because it's actually far, far better for the task of biking.

Shoes - Skate Shoes. They work, and are tons cheaper.
    Gloves - Tactical Gloves. These come with better knuckle protection, optional gauntlets, more durable materials, better gripping surfaces, and good ones allow use of touch-screen electronics without removal. Also cheaper, even with that full feature set.
    Jerseys - Soccer/Football Goalkeeper Jerseys. Come in all the same colorways, have built-in elbow padding, come with better sweat-wicking materials and equally good cuts for range of motion. Better variety available in local shops. Also cheaper.
    Socks - Hiking and Trail Running Socks. No real cost savings happening but unless it's to rep a specific brand, there are straight up better offerings elsewhere.
    Backpacks - Hiking/Mountaineering Packs, or lightweight military packs. These are lighter, have more storage, come in a wider range of sizes, offer better hydration system integration options, and are inherently modular. More expensive, but that also makes them more flexible, and lightweight is nice.
    Eye Protection - Cheap generic first responder stuff (ISS stuff). Better protection, better coverage, comparably good optics, and comes in wider varieties of polarize/colors. Also better retention options, especially with full face stuff. Also cheaper, especially for comparably ANSI rated stuff.

I do run bike-specific padded chamois shorts (the cheap generic kind - PerformanceBike Nevados are a great value), and obviously bike-specific helmet options, but TheClymb has such absurdly good deals on Kali Protectives stuff, I won't run anything less ever, especially as somebody with a history of destroying helmets to the benefit of my skull. Same deal, I use my biking knee protection for everything, including caving, construction work, and tactical applications (looks a touch odd with my gucci shooting kit, but they are better knee pads than what passes as tactical protection).

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Any recommendation for a good chamois? Quality and comfort first.
    I keep going back to these year after year...

Liners | ZOIC Clothing

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Spend $30 for a good pair of underliner chamois and wear whatever cargo short you damn well please over it. I get my cheap cargo shorts from the local thrift shop, for under $5. If I destroy them in a crash....back I go shopping!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne_Pepa View Post
    Spend $30 for a good pair of underliner chamois and wear whatever cargo short you damn well please over it. I get my cheap cargo shorts from the local thrift shop, for under $5. If I destroy them in a crash....back I go shopping!
    This. I like bibs or shorts sometimes, but I find underliner shorts with a very thin pad worn under some not-too-baggy shorts are the best for me

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk