mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Why is it so damn hard to get a good fitting jersey?

I've bought 5 jerseys online the last couple months. All are just too damn tight IMHO (skin tight).

Most recent is an Endo Customs in size XXL!!!!

Before that I bought a Pearl Izumi Elite in L and a Castelli in XL.

For reference I'm 5'8" and 170lbs and normally buy a medium in almost everything including Arcteryx clothing which is known to fit small.

Am I looking for the wrong jersey? Just want something short sleeve that I can wear in summer and a long sleeve zip-up jersey for fall weather. Don't want anything too baggy either, just not skin tight!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Why not go to a shop and try them on?

mtbr member
    Roadie jerseys? I'm 5'9" 175 and find mediums usually fit me appropriately snugly, though sometimes a large might be better in a particular jersey.

Mtb jerseys are usually large and fit appropriately loosely. Though some mediums work too. With a loose jersey fit is less critical.

Bibs are what I find difficult to fit. Between fitting my butt, my thighs, leg length, and strap length, there are a lot of variables.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I find Race Face jerseys fit me best... my question is, how do I find baggy bike shorts?!?! They're all either too tight in the leg, or too loose in the waist.
    Intense 951 Evo and Intense Carbine 29

Bikesexual
    I use road jerseys, and dont mind the tight fit. 5'11" but 165lbs so a L fits perfect.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Interplanetary Poultry
    ...and this is why I don't order clothes from the internet.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Depends upon brand, same for designer clothing as certain brands depending their country of origin refer to their average body type. Generally Italian is really small and anything for the US really big. I'm M/L is most brands but anything designed in Italy i'll add on from plus 2-4 sizes and then brand to brand from experience. I will generally size down for US brands and go M.

So it's just experience and a bit of brand knowledge im afraid. Road stuff is always form fitting (tight and stretchy) MTB brands will normally be loose but size up accordingly.

Bibs are stretchy Lycra and usually work off height (torso length that matters really) as its the strap length that's important. Also they will feel really tight on the shoulders off the bike as they are designed around being in the hunched over road bike position.

mtbr member
    All cycling clothes are typically small for their size, the cheaper the brand, the worse it is.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mnpikey View Post
    I've bought 5 jerseys online the last couple months. All are just too damn tight IMHO (skin tight).

Most recent is an Endo Customs in size XXL!!!!

Before that I bought a Pearl Izumi Elite in L and a Castelli in XL.

For reference I'm 5'8" and 170lbs and normally buy a medium in almost everything including Arcteryx clothing which is known to fit small.

Am I looking for the wrong jersey? Just want something short sleeve that I can wear in summer and a long sleeve zip-up jersey for fall weather. Don't want anything too baggy either, just not skin tight!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Roadie jerseys? I'm 5'9" 175 and find mediums usually fit me appropriately snugly, though sometimes a large might be better in a particular jersey.

Mtb jerseys are usually large and fit appropriately loosely. Though some mediums work too. With a loose jersey fit is less critical.

Bibs are what I find difficult to fit. Between fitting my butt, my thighs, leg length, and strap length, there are a lot of variables.
    I am a similar size to you guys. Fairly wide shoulders. I have fit issues for shirts/jerseys. Roadie jerseys are flat out. I hate 'em. Overly tight fit, and super narrow shoulders, so I have issues with them digging into my armpits. My favorite "jerseys" look more like regular shirts. Some are more like t-shirts, others are collard, button-up shirts. Most are mediums. But now I have to watch out on t-shirts, too. I'm seeing a growing number of t-shirts that are coming with excessively short sleeves and narrow shoulders, so again, they dig into my armpits, and my pit hair hangs out. So far, I haven't even found moving to a larger size to be comfortable, so I have to be careful with these and avoid buying them when possible.

I can order online...sometimes. But all the ones that fit me best are shirts/jerseys that I bought at an actual store, where I could try them on. Buying online is a gamble, and I've lost on some.

orthonormal
    I've been wearing SmartWool t shirts for the past several years. They're wool so they wick sweat, dry quickly, last forever (if you avoid the dryer), and don't stink but they fit/feel like a normal t-shirt. I wish they were a bit longer in back (they're not cycling-specific) but other than that, I like them a better than the cycling jerseys I've tried.

https://www.smartwool.com/shop/men-c...nId=378#hero=0
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Odd I wear Xl and XXL stuff typically with no issue. I'm 6'4" and 230lbs, not a little guy by any means. What brand stuff are your ordering?
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

Lunacity360
    Dec 2018
    68 here. I know its not a mtb jersey...but I rock oversized official NFL jerseys. They fit great lengthwise and also over armor/pads.