Why no winter helmets?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Why no winter helmets?

We got winter shoes, everything else, but I still have to put a beanie on my head and then put a helmet full of giant holes on my head.

Wouldn't a winter-specific helmet, maybe a soft liner, minimal holes make sense?

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Snow boarding helmets are the bomb for winter riding.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    What's wrong with a beanie and helmet cover? They're inexpensive and work fine for me.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I concur, my snowboarding helmet gets more use then designed for, with the ear flap covers it can't be beat in 0C weather.

HIKE!

Giro Ski/Board helmets

In particular, Giro's ski and snowboard helmets are perfect winter biking helmets! I've got a Giro Nine with iPod capability, and it is the best winter riding set up ever. Beats velcro on flaps, beanies, covers, etc...

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by curtlo-dork
    We got winter shoes, everything else, but I still have to put a beanie on my head and then put a helmet full of giant holes on my head.

Wouldn't a winter-specific helmet, maybe a soft liner, minimal holes make sense?
    There are plenty of ski/board helmets available as mentioned.

I am guessing there are no bicycle specific winter helmets, because maybe they figure that if you ride your bike in very cold winter weather, it's too late for a helmet.

old dude

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The Bell Qualifier Pro fits the bill for me. (Ear Flaps) Good to -33 C so far.

I have a Bell Slant for the summer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Never even considered that, as there is zero snowboarding around where I live (Chicagoland...). I'll see what I can find locally.

I know I can slap a bunch of stuff on my existing helmet, but sometimes nothing beats purpose-built solutions. My Lake MXZ winter shoes make riding in the cold so darn much better than any booty ever created, that I want all my gear to perform up to that standard.

Members who have read this thread: 0