Why are cycling shoes so goofy looking?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Why are cycling shoes so goofy looking?

Why do cycling shoes have to look so garish, gaudy and downright freaky? I want a simpl, cheap preferabley boot style shoe for my crank bro's mallets. my old shoes are not going to work with them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Define goofy.....

Are you referring to the roadie based sport/racing shoes, the newer skate shoe based bike shoes, commuter/touring light use shoes, or those mad, mad, mad spd compatable sandles for hanging out and riding your SS fat tire cruiser. Anyhoo I guess my point is there is a fair bit of variety out there now and you should be able to find yourself something that fits your personal style......unless you are a racer who wants that skate park hip look. Then forget it - you're hooped!

Mar 2004

How about this....

Quote Originally Posted by dirttorpedo
    Are you referring to the roadie based sport/racing shoes, the newer skate shoe based bike shoes, commuter/touring light use shoes, or those mad, mad, mad spd compatable sandles for hanging out and riding your SS fat tire cruiser. Anyhoo I guess my point is there is a fair bit of variety out there now and you should be able to find yourself something that fits your personal style......unless you are a racer who wants that skate park hip look. Then forget it - you're hooped!

Goofy looking. This is not an exception, this seems to be the rule.

Apr 2004
    How about these?

Specialized Rockhopper Comp

or these?

Specialized Sawpit

I have the Rockhoppers and they are really comfortable and pretty much look like a pair of light hikers.

Jm.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Philo Beddoe

Why? because they are designed to fit your feet? Because they have stiff soles so that you can pedal? Not sure I understand what the heck you are talking about. Because they are blue and grey?? Because they don't look like hiking shoes(you aren't this ignorant are you?)?

Feb 2004

Because they are designed by European roadies

Some of the Euro ballet slippers can be quite ridiculous looking. Amazing that the source of so much haute couture can produce such ugly shoes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dec 2003
    Why do cycling shoes have to look so garish, gaudy and downright freaky? I want a simpl, cheap preferabley boot style shoe for my crank bro's mallets. my old shoes are not going to work with them.
    The same reason cycling jerseys are so goofy looking.

gentle like

i think they've come a long way

the lovely slippers bykhed posted aside, i think cycling shoes have come a looong way. those pearl izumis are really quite nice. and even those (ze slippers) don't stack up to old school ugly.

i can remember my gearfreak friend getting his new manitous (w/ synthetic leather!) back in the early 90's, and man ... 3 colours of neon? pink, green, and orange ... on a purple and gray background, if memory serves.

he was thrilled 'cause they were the best ... and $200. i thought my $75 specialized sports were lookin' pretty damn good, all things considered ...
    Last edited by kept man; 04-22-2004 at 01:35 PM. Reason: too many dangling "those-es"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

To match the lycra shorts and jerseys

12345 :d

Crank monkey

Define goofy looking...

Relative to basketball shoes, for example? Every sport has some weird looking stuff. I guess the bottom line is wear something that fits your style. And don't worry about it.
    Cheers,
    Smytty

mtbr member

What about these

not too bad

Feb 2004
    I think I'll stick with platform pedals and plain old Timberlands for a while.

mtbr member
    Considering that your shoes should be getting Dirty and Used, what's it matter if you have the coolest style or the glittering Nike logo? If you're a poser on the boardwalk with an FS bike, wear your Doc Marten boots or your Airwalks, whatever. If you're going to RIDE, find a pair of shoes that Fit and that Work. After that, pick a cute color and get some dirt on them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Considering that your shoes should be getting Dirty and Used, what's it matter if you have the coolest style or the glittering Nike logo? If you're a poser on the boardwalk with an FS bike, wear your Doc Marten boots or your Airwalks, whatever. If you're going to RIDE, find a pair of shoes that Fit and that Work. After that, pick a cute color and get some dirt on them.
    Agreed EBasil.
    They should quit looking at their feet and watch where they are riding

Do It Yourself

They match the dorky pants...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm Meow baby....

Those are some nice looking sport/racing shoes. Colour isn't gross, functional, what more could you want!

Nat
    mtbr member
    How about these?

http://www.lakecycling.com/adventure.html

Gravity Rides Everything
    who cares what they look like. Buy based on fit and performance, they're just gonna end up covered in mud and filth anyway

Apr 2004

I actually like those......

Mar 2004

cool but

Quote Originally Posted by Nat

A bit rich for my blood. I am not looking to spend that much. I like clearance jobs, but I wear a 46 so that is rare in the clearance section. I got a good pair years ago but they have a deep well, and are not going to work with crank bros cleats. Shims or not.

I like those specialized ones too. A bit cheaper than the lakes. The lakes are sweet though.

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by endurowanker
    who cares what they look like. Buy based on fit and performance, they're just gonna end up covered in mud and filth anyway
    I care.
    Why buy something ugly as hell when the manufacturers can make something that looks cool and works just as well.
    Why buy based on fit and performance?
    We'd all be driving mini vans wearing leisure suits.

The philosophy of buying something strictly based on its function sounds almost communistic to me. I believe function is more important than form, but there is room
    for both.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyE
    not too bad
    SixSixOne... mmm... I might have to pick up a set of those if I decide to leave my platform pedals behind.

mtbr member
    Maybe they make the funky looking ones to detract attention from the braut being displayed by guys in lycra?

If you have to ask...

It could be a lot worse...

Here's a pair of motorcycle racing boots:

https://gallery.consumerreview.com/w...d-yew-blue.jpg

Now that's ugly.

miles
    It's 7:09 California time

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Here's a pair of motorcycle racing boots:

https://gallery.consumerreview.com/w...d-yew-blue.jpg

Now that's ugly.

miles

meow

Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeRunner
    SixSixOne... mmm... I might have to pick up a set of those if I decide to leave my platform pedals behind.
    I've got some of those. They're fine, but I find myself going to extremes to keep them from getting wet on a ride.

I was kinda in the same boat as the original poster a few months ago when I started riding a lot. Now I'm finding myself eyeing some of those Shimano hiking low-tops with lots of mesh.

TR
    Angry bunny
    These too garish for you????

Oh yeah!!!
    I have a pair of those PI's with yellow stripes and they are the most comfortable cycle shoes I have ever worn.
    Sounds like your problem is that you actually care what others might think about how you look while you are riding.

Apr 2004
    NOw that's what I call an ugly pair of bike shoes!!!

Ski during the off-season

should the shoes be any different than bike jerseys...

While I have seen some pretty cool bike jerseys many of them are just as loud & gaudy as the shoes. I am guessing this is an extension from road biking, where the louder your clothes are, the more likely someone is going to see you 1/2 ;-)

TR
    Angry bunny
    Geez
    I didn't realise that MTBR had been taken over by the fashion police.
    Who really cares what they look like.
    How are those Scott's any more gaudy than a pair of Nike ACG hiking shoes or for that matter the Lakes and Specialized shown earlier.
    Fair dinkum, these are sports shoes and in my whole life I have not seen a pair of sports shoes of any sort that were not instantly recognizeable as sports shoes. By your way of thinking skiboots, skates, football boots, running shoes, basketball boots and bowling shoes should all be plain as well.
    Basically who cares what you look like as long as you can get out and ride.
    Also while you are wanting not to draw attention to yourself, strip those bright colours off of your bike and paint it matt grey, buy a plain white helmet, start wearing old t-shirts and shorts and start wearing plain old gardening gloves instead of those brandname ones as well.
    Now get back on your bike head down to the LBS and buy whatever shoes are the most comfortable regardless of the colours.

born to chill
    I'm with you, aside from some of the hiking looking shoes by Cannondale they are for the most part freakish. Then again I pretty much feel the same way about todays crop of "sports" shoes, basketball, etc. Good lord, it must be one of those steps in getting old Next thing I know the music will be too loud. haha

Anyway, I always wear Vans, none of that clipping in for me, but check these out.
    FATRAC - Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Coalition - Member
    My personal site - Living single, seeing double, jumping triples

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by toowoombarider
    These too garish for you????

Oh yeah!!!
    I have a pair of those PI's with yellow stripes and they are the most comfortable cycle shoes I have ever worn.
    Sounds like your problem is that you actually care what others might think about how you look while you are riding.
    Why would what others think be my concern. It is about wearing something that you like. If I don't like the looks of something or it is not my style I don't want to wear it.

What do you wear dickies and a short sleeve dress shirt to work? With Kmart plastic dress shoes? No and why not?