Why is it all black?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 40 of 40
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,117

    Why is it all black?

    Kind of an oddball question, but so much biking apparel is black. I'm not a huge fan of black as a color.

    Historically, I guess most or all of the spandex shorts, and wool before them, were black.

    Modern trends, especially in MTB, seem to involve more colors, finally.

    Is there some reason that bike apparel tends to be black?

  2. #2
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    32,660
    The question isn't why is it all black, the question is, could it be any blacker?, and the answer is none, none more black.

    Why is it all black?-018d5779c2427a835b88a52bded0ce1303a60a25ed.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,114
    Fits my style perfectly. I honestly dont own a t shirt that isnt black.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    Fits my style perfectly. I honestly dont own a t shirt that isnt black.
    +1 .Black car and bikes too

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R_Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by mv70 View Post
    +1 .Black car and bikes too
    Car, yes. But my bike is rather colorful. Which is a bit out of my "norm"

    Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,991
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    Is there some reason that bike apparel tends to be black?
    Good question. It's partly just a trend as if you think back to the early days of mountain biking, nothing was black!

    But black is not an ideal colour, it's hot and shows the dirt. The only black clothing I have are things I couldn't get in any other colour.

    When I was about twenty I had a friend who was a goth. My girlfriend and I agreed to go to a goth disco with her, yes they really had such a thing, but had no black clothes to wear. We borrowed black T-shirts from my goth friend and when she opened her wardrobe...she didn't have a single piece of clothing that was not black!

  7. #7
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The question isn't why is it all black, the question is, could it be any blacker?, and the answer is none, none more black.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	018d5779c2427a835b88a52bded0ce1303a60a25ed.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	290.9 KB 
ID:	1207437

    lol, I bet most won't get your reference.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

  8. #8
    @njcshreds
    Reputation: GoingNowhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    lol, I bet most won't get your reference.
    But these go to 11.

    My guess is most protection is black so it works with any other color. If a company is going to make an item in one color it may as well be as versatile as possible.

    That being said, I think there are plenty of options for bike clothing in all sorts of color but the protective devices are mostly black. I have gray shorts and blue shorts. And shirts and gloves in all sorts of colors. I'm going to guess it's cheaper to produce gloves in many colors than knee pads or shin guards.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,991
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingNowhere View Post
    My guess is most protection is black so it works with any other color.
    Probably true. Personally, I'm not sure I care what colour my stuff is. When I see guys wearing matching outfits with blinged up bikes I think it looks stupid. In fact I usually deliberately avoid wearing the shirt I have that matches my bike!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,117
    Hahaha, some good responses. Funny thing, I really was confining my comment to clothes. I don't mind black for cars or bikes or objects/tools, or an accent color on anythng, clothes included.

    A big part of it I suppose is that I'm a Texan and its most always hot here and black never looks fun in the heat.

    Just when I go to look at baggies, most of them are black.

    As to the old-style, tight shorts, I wonder if black at least partially helped hide the goods and some sweat. Maybe also grease stains?


    Also:

    Name:  Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  13.7 KB

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jeremy3220's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    2,205
    I was looking for 3/4 length jerseys recently to use for aggressive riding in the heat and had a terrible time finding something that fit but wasn't primarily black. The best I could do was actually a medium grey TLD jersey.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,991
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I was looking for 3/4 length jerseys recently to use for aggressive riding in the heat and had a terrible time finding something that fit but wasn't primarily black.
    Have a look at road stuff. Lots of bright colours there.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    246
    "Personally, I'm not sure I care what colour my stuff is" yet "In fact I usually deliberately avoid wearing the shirt I have that matches my bike!"

    something is off! I laugh only because my great friends have bought me so much of the same color stuff i'm one of the matchy people you laugh at. myself and friends are laughing at me too, but what do you do. gifts are gifts, but im starting to think they know what they are doing.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,991
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    As to the old-style, tight shorts, I wonder if black at least partially helped hide the goods and some sweat.
    Why is it all black?-blackvsred.jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by fleboz View Post
    Gifts are gifts, but I'm starting to think they know what they are doing.
    Think they might.

    Name:  matched shit 3.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  93.8 KB

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfgiantsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,162
    I bought my bike used, because I loved the bike but hated the color. Bright green, so now I wear mostly black and grey to counter the bike.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,991
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    I bought my bike used, because I loved the bike but hated the color. Bright green
    I bought my bike new because I wanted the bike and could live with the colour, bright green. I mainly call it Kermit.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    742
    I have never seen any bike apparel that didnt come in multiple color options (including black). Usually black isnt even an option because its out of stock. But I always shop online since store prices for clothes are atrocious and selection is really questionable.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8,804
    Bike clothes come in black to save you from yourselves, you tacky bunch of bastards!

    My bike is green and orange and black and blue. And red. It looks like a clown car crashed into a sherwin williams store, and I love it.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The question isn't why is it all black, the question is, could it be any blacker?, and the answer is none, none more black.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	018d5779c2427a835b88a52bded0ce1303a60a25ed.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	290.9 KB 
ID:	1207437
    You don't have a black KMC chain or spider, so the answer is yes it could be blacker.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    213
    Is black a color?

  21. #21
    Trying to be helpful
    Reputation: Guy.Ford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,535
    Quote Originally Posted by rtsideup View Post
    Is black a color?
    Not technically speaking, black is the absorption or absense of all colors.

    Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5CA

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    626
    Once you go black, you will never go back
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,117
    So I guess one reason black is traditional is that it hides grease and dirt. I got some lime green/yellow Fox shorts that I like pretty well, but they get grimy fast.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7,660
    Besides hiding grime, it's least polarizing and pairs with any color...almost. Some won't pair black with navy.
    Do the math.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    847
    Unless you're paid to wear white lycra shorts; it's a really ****ing bad idea.
    Same goes for white pants/baggies (Looking at you Loic) socks, shoes.

    "Pro Skiers look like a bag of skittles..."

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sage of the Sage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    426
    See rules #14 and 15...

    Velominati ‚Äļ The Rules
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,293
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    Kind of an oddball question, but so much biking apparel is black. I'm not a huge fan of black as a color.

    Historically, I guess most or all of the spandex shorts, and wool before them, were black.

    Modern trends, especially in MTB, seem to involve more colors, finally.

    Is there some reason that bike apparel tends to be black?
    because it looks better. I have no idea what you're talking about saying bike clothing is hard to find in anything but black. Show me any store that has any shorts of jersey in black only (partially serious; I find it hard to find bike clothing in the correct color - probably because people buy it, leaving the clown suits they can't get rid of for sales).

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    because it looks better. I have no idea what you're talking about saying bike clothing is hard to find in anything but black. Show me any store that has any shorts of jersey in black only (partially serious; I find it hard to find bike clothing in the correct color - probably because people buy it, leaving the clown suits they can't get rid of for sales).
    I didn't say it was hard to find colors other than black, although it is, somewhat. I said there was a lot of black, and there is, a lot more than most sports. At the stores I go to, I have a hard time finding any color other than black in shorts in L/XL. The colors are picked over.

    And I noted that historically black is the predominant color, and I think we may have established why that is.

    I don't like it. YMMV. I live in Texas and black is going to be the last choice for about everything except a tux, or shoes maybe (don't like black shoes either).

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chicane32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    795
    The only thing I notice being all black are Knee and elbow pads. Does this material not come in colors? I try and stay away from black Jersey's, unless it's winter and cold out.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    The only thing I notice being all black are Knee and elbow pads. Does this material not come in colors? I try and stay away from black Jersey's, unless it's winter and cold out.
    I guess this hints at another answer. Pads are pretty inherently utilitarian, moreso than clothes and getting kind of close to "parts." I don't like black clothes, yet I have no problem with black cranks, bars, stems, ders, etc.

    And, pads are going to get dirty and scraped/torn up in pretty short order and I suppose black hides the damage better than most other colors.

    Biking apparel tends to be a bit more utilitarian than other sports gear. That and the greasy/dirty environment probably go a long way to explaining why shorts at least are traditionally black. That and the budgie smuggling.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,454
    Paint it black.
    Back in black.

  32. #32
    Just Ride!
    Reputation: kustomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,194
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    I bought my bike used, because I loved the bike but hated the color. Bright green, so now I wear mostly black and grey to counter the bike.
    Just the opposite here, all of my bikes are black so the gear can speak the mood. Look good, feel good, ride good!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why is it all black?-southwest-match-sets.jpg  


  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tim-ti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    203
    Most fabrics are available as stock in black, and black fabrics from different vendors are likely to match each other, thus making black garments is easier and cheaper. Also, it's a safer bet for companies/shops to buy because few people won't buy black, it goes with everything, and it's unlikely to fall out of fashion.
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The question isn't why is it all black, the question is, could it be any blacker?, and the answer is none, none more black.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	018d5779c2427a835b88a52bded0ce1303a60a25ed.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	290.9 KB 
ID:	1207437
    There's still chance for carbon disks... and don't clean chain that often
    Primoz

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,293
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    Just the opposite here, all of my bikes are black so the gear can speak the mood. Look good, feel good, ride good!
    When I see a picture like that, I like to believe that the model insisted his face be cut off. It's because I still have enough faith in humanity that I believe no one would be seen wearing a shirt like that, even the guy that's paid to wear it.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sage of the Sage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    426
    As far as black shorts go, I believe they are a holdover from the pro peloton in road racing, as saddles used to be black leather. If you get a dyed leather saddle wet or damp, the dye tends to transfer to your shorts. Black hides it better than any other color...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    664
    I'm kind of in opposite situation. I tend to buy closeouts and leftovers on sale as I don't care that much about color. My stuff tends to be really bright as it seems people gravitate and buy the more subdued stuff first. I suspect that's why so much is made in those colors.

  38. #38
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,396
    Most garments come in a variety of colors plus a black option so I donít know what youíre talking about.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    Car, yes. But my bike is rather colorful. Which is a bit out of my "norm"

    Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
    same lol, well, cars are usually white, my bike is neon green

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GKelley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    154
    I'm glad pads are always available in black. Remember the 80's, when style wasn't even considered? Big white or yellow elbow pads that didn't match anything.... No thanks. lol

Similar Threads

  1. Why. Why? Why???
    By Finch Platte in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-01-2018, 04:12 AM
  2. Why Why Why???
    By DIRTJUNKIE in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-06-2015, 04:32 PM
  3. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 03-16-2014, 09:58 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-15-2013, 07:16 PM
  5. Silver or Black spokes on new black rims?
    By Realslowww in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-29-2011, 03:21 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.