Who uses a helmet cam, what do you use, and what do you like about it?- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Sep 2005

Who uses a helmet cam, what do you use, and what do you like about it?

I just purchased a DCR-SR80, and I'm looking for a lipstick cam to plug into it and get some good video. Looking for 480 lines at least.

Anyone?

mtbr member
    I've been looking around for a long time... I've trashed multiple digital cameras, and I figure:

a. I've never hit my head hard enough to cause brain damage
    b. Therefore, the head must be a safe place to mount a camera

I haven't made the leap to it yet, but I really like this one: http://www.twenty20camera.com/

banned
    Sep 2005
    I've looked at that, but I really don't like it for the plug it uses. I'd much rather use a female composite plug to connect the camera to my camcorder.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Helmet Camera

I use the 480 line camera from http//www.helmetcamera.com. I record on a Sony GV-D200 VCR. This takes a very good video. The VCR has a IEEE1394 port, so getting the video to your computer is easypeasy. The extra couple of pounds is a training aid. lol

banned
    Sep 2005
    Looks pretty good. I assume the camera comes with female composite connectors on the end to plug in?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Me helmet cam

The camera has an RCA connector. The mike also. The power connector is a co-axial type. The camera outputs 1V P-P analog video. The Sony VCR does a A to D conversion and then records in Digital 8 format. All in all it works well ( except when I hit a tree and knock the battery loose I'm now in the process of making a protective cover out of rigid foam. This will protect the buttons and lock the battery in position. The F550 battery only gives about 1 hour. The F750 gives several hours, but is MUCH heavier.

mtbr member

The Viosport Adventure Cam 3...

... is a pretty good helmet-cam. I've used it mtn biking and snowboarding and it's worked fine. Keep your expectations in check though -- picture quality is not going to be nearly as good as what you'd get directly from your camcorder.

I have a few videos on my blog if you want to check out quality.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Helmet Camera

If you bought a helmet camera, it must have been the cheapest one (Helmetcams have three models). My helmet camera takes a better picture than my Canon ELURA100 A. Its on par with my Sony TVR-340. The software and the computer that you render the video with makes loads of difference also. I have a bad assz Core-2 with killer HD's (10K RPM Raptors in raid 5). This renders video with no stutters. The Sony GV-D200 (the VCR I carry) is better than all three of my camcorders. In this world, you get what you pay for! Look at Sony's site for spec's on the camcoders vs the VCR's.

mtbr member
    I have an "Extreme Adventure Camera 480" found here:

http://www.adventurecameras.com/cameras.html

I think pretty much everybody uses sony bullet cams, so it might be safe to assume video qualities would be pretty much the same? Maybe? I could be way off. I often am. But if true, it comes down to price and included accessories....

And make sure whichever one you pick up has a nice helmet mount that will work with your helmet! Mine came with 3 or 4 funky mounts of which none worked well with a standard vented mtb helmet. I eventually had to buy another one. Kind of frustrating.

But the quality it shoots is just fine
    Crankfire.com / New Englandish Mountain Biking Community

I already rode that
    I bought a Sharp 420 line and bought all the lil parts and use it like that. It works pretty good and the video qaulity is good too.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

mtbr member
    You can check out a new site here to answer many of your questions:
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

One thing I have found that is clear... all sony ccd cams are NOT created equal.

I will be testing many more cams in the next few months.

CJS

Sep 2005
    I have a Vio Sport Helmet Cam. The Model is "Adventure Cam II." $200 from pricepoint. I've barely used it but the video quality is relatively the same as my Canon Elura 100. It has a wide selection of accessories including rechargeable battery packs, many mounts and a remote for turning on and off.

Viosport also makes completely waterproof cameras....

Jan 2007

Helmet cam crash

Quote Originally Posted by Rekibnikufesin
    I've been looking around for a long time... I've trashed multiple digital cameras, and I figure:

a. I've never hit my head hard enough to cause brain damage
    b. Therefore, the head must be a safe place to mount a camera

I haven't made the leap to it yet, but I really like this one: http://www.twenty20camera.com/
    Neither have I
    Check out www.321actioncams.com Home page video
    Last edited by 321actioncams; 01-19-2007 at 09:59 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0