Who doesn't wear bike specific clothing?- Mtbr.com

Feb 2006

Who doesn't wear bike specific clothing?

Just wondering how many people out there don't wear bike specific knicks or shorts?

Reason I am asking is that I wear normal shorts and undies, recently I've brought a top though. So is it possible to find a prefectly comfortable (and functional) saddle that will not require me to wear knicks or baggies?

I will see how the WTB Rocket V that came with the bike goes, but reckon it may be borderline on not being female friendly enough.

Pocket Pool Savant

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Look into Terry Saddles...

Speaking as a male, I love my Terry Dragonfly MG. I've had it for 4 years and it's been great. When looking for non-bike specific gear, notice where the seams sit (especially near your sit bones...wide for women, narrow for men) and be sure that these seams don't arrange themselves anywhere near there.

The Terry saddles are brilliant and constructed very well..keeping all seams away from the parts you want to keep nice and feely.

I prefer a padded baggy (cheap Nashbar stuff) and some $8 wicking shirts from Target as the jerseys seem impossibly expensive compared to the shorts.

AJ
    "Stop smirking. It's irritating" - Judge Judy

Feb 2006
    Yeah I picked up a plain blue jersey for $18 off ebay just to see what it's like. It's actually real convenient having those back pockets - particularly for the camera as long as I don't crash! Otherwise I was just going to keep an eye out on cheap "polyester" shirts seeming that most bike tops are made of something like that.
    Don't think much of knicks - and imagine it would feel like wearing a nappy, and can't really justify the expense in the baggy shorts, particularly if you go ride one day, they're dirty, you want to ride the next day, hmm well you got to wait till they're washed or buy a 2nd pair.

Life is Good
    I wear plaid shorts and a cut-off tshirt.

I have been looking into buying some real baggies, but everyone knows me by my shorts, i'd feel weird without em. Maybe I can find some plaid baggies?

Whattya want from me?

Ok, I wasn't wearing a cutoff tshirt here, but usually I do.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by energetix
    Just wondering how many people out there don't wear bike specific knicks or shorts?

Reason I am asking is that I wear normal shorts and undies, recently I've brought a top though. So is it possible to find a prefectly comfortable (and functional) saddle that will not require me to wear knicks or baggies?

I will see how the WTB Rocket V that came with the bike goes, but reckon it may be borderline on not being female friendly enough.
    Spend the money on bike specific shorts, especially if your female....you will thank me.

Apr 2006
    I wear t-shirts and running shorts, mostly because I used to run alot and have a ton of shorts.. they're nice because they have built in "support" and usually are made of some wicking material to stay dry. If I were to buy anything, it'd probably be wicking shirts, but I've had them in the past and am just not a fan of how they fit/feel. I wouldn't worry about buying specifically for MTB though, I just buy what's comfortable.

Feb 2006
    I have noticed a difference in wearing outdoorsy type short (nice wicking material) as opposed to just cotton / heavy cotton type ones. If this saddle doesn't suit I'll probably look at something like the specialized range (fizik & selle, or terry as options too). In the end if the next seat I buy doesn't cut the mustard then I'll have to give the mtb shorts a go - mind you a pair of those costs as much as a saddle!

Nov 2005
    Ladies' shorts tend to be more form-fitting, but for guys whose shorts tend to be looser it sometimes helps to have a MTB-cut short. For women it doesn't seem to be such an issue getting shorts snagged on saddle noses and quick releases. Typically I wear a junky t-shirt or coolmax shirt. For shorts usually I'll wear underarmor and some TLD shorts, or jeans/dickies if it's colder.

I rationalized dropping some coin on the TLD shorts because I spend a lot of time riding, yet also own clothes/shoes that I wear far less often for other occasions. I figure if you ride a bunch, it makes sense to get some clothes that'll make that time more enjoyable.
    Last edited by pin-it; 05-10-2006 at 10:28 PM.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

I wear bikes shorts. I held out for a long time, but once I tried a pair.....well I'd never go back. I found that once I had good shorts, I felt a lot better being in the saddle for really long rides.

I've never worn a real jersey, though. They seem really expensive and always look really stupid, IMO. I don't need to be a walking billboard. I just wear a plain coolmax t-shirt Same with socks. I want them to wick and dry fast, but I don't want some ridiculous graphics on them.

Personally, I would drop the dough on decent shorts before you get a new saddle, but that's just me.

local trails rider
    Only my helmet, shoes and gloves are biking specific.

So far, I have not had any trouble using non-padded shorts or pants. I ride a hard tail (out of saddle pretty often) and have time to stop when I want a drink.

edit: during weekends 4 hours, including stops for water, is pretty normal for me. During week days 2 is more like it.

I bought a couple of running shirts when they were on sale. Much better than a cotton T when I sweat.
    Last edited by perttime; 05-11-2006 at 08:30 AM.

bang
    i just wear my surf shorts, a cheap wicking t-shirt and some athletic socks (shirt and socks from wal-mart or whatever).

Feb 2006
    All good points.

Thanks for the input so far. I reckon if the seat doesn't work out I will try a good (or well recommended) womens specific one, and after that consider wether I'd need the shorts.

The Jersey I recently brought was $18Au which is real cheap, and it was a plain blue colour (the other reason I got it). I wouldn't mind picking up a spare one of those.

Judd97 those are some classy shorts you've got there! I spose that's one way to be unique.

Anyone wear their sunday best? Yes I know stupid question!

Ride Instigator
    I generally wear MTB baggies when riding my road bike...does that count?

I can't be seen running around in lycra, the local roadies might think I'm one of "them" .

Feb 2006
    Well I guess you could say that's not technically bike specific, and I think you're more afraid that if any of the mtb crew you ride with might disown you or probably more likely just bag you out heaps

mtbr member
    Baggies are a definite must for me, but know a gal that rides with only the tight spandex stuff. Jjersey wise I have a few bike specific [i](most w/ pockets at the back, 1 DH type) all loose fitting and then I also have some running/sport jersey's from various manufacturers.

The running/sport jersey's are a lot cheaper than the bike specific ones for sure - you can pick them up in most any dept store for around $10-20 US. Only thing with the running/sport stuff I have is no zipper for when you get really hot. Only really use the rear pockets for when I ride on the road and don't take the hydration pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Looking to Start Racing
    I wear plain ol'white T-shirts (Cheapy $5 ones), but I do have 2 whicking shirts I picked up at Old Navy for $16 each, they are nice on really hot days. As for shorts I wear either a pair of Nike Basketball shorts, or a pair of Camo shorts (Love my Camo).
    Evolve or Die

mtbr member

My 22 & 25 year old sons........

Wear what you like. I like spandex. It scares people.

Apr 2005
    Bah, bike clothes. I wear a plain old T-shirt, and some satiny basketball-type addidas shorts, and some boxers. The only "bike specific" clothes are my shoes and socks. I'd feel like a real chode showing up at the local trail decked out like I thought I was Ned or Tinker.

mtbr member

Non-specific to baggies to lycra

I started biking with just the t-shirt and shorts. Then I bought a pair of lycra shorts and wore them under soccer shorts when I started going on longer rides - definitely more comfortable. Then I bought a pair of baggies with the padded crotch/liner set up.

In my opinion, it's REALLY hard to find a good pair of baggies. I had a pair by Zoic which fit fairly well and were very comfortable. The shammy (misspelled, I know), however, was pretty flimsly and I'd be in some serious pain after 20 miles. I tried some from El Performo (the Escalante, or Excramente as I think of them) that felt like I was wearing a diaper and were just annoying as hell - after pedaling half a mile they felt like they were on backwards or something. I looked around, did some research, etc. etc. and what I was finding was that you need to spend at least $80.00 for a pair of "all day" baggies. Sorry, but that ain't in the budget.

I went back to Performance to evaluate my options. They had bib shorts on sale for $40.00. I bit the bullet and bought 'em. WAY more comfortable than the baggies and half the price of "good" baggies. I'll never go back.

I suppose you could throw shorts on over the lycra and go that way, but anything on top of lycra tends to slide around a bit, and I don't dig that. If it works for you, good on ya. I don't feel dorky until I get off the bike. Lycra shorts are motivation to keep pedaling.

As far as jerseys go, I really like having the zipper on the front. I am a heavy sweater, and I think that extra bit of ventilation makes a big difference. The pockets are handy too - you can stash stuff in there that you want to get at without taking off the camelbak. I tend to prefer the elastic in the jersey around the waist - keeps it from riding up my back.

Anyhow, I thought I'd post this long-winded response b/c these posts always seem to bring out the folks who think that bike clothes are a waste of money. That's fine, but just thought I'd throw in my opinion that bike clothes really are more functional and comfortable when you start riding a lot. Look around and you can find some deals and you don't have to look like a billboard, either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yah, it takes way longer to get over saddle sores then it does to get over the comment about Lycra that comes about once every 9 months.

I'd be tempted to try a pair of baggies at this point but I started out wearing jean shorts. After the first saddle sore I went right to lycra and never looked back.

Must be here people are more tolerant of lycra, out on the trails most riders wear lycra, no rider will ever give you crap. It's just the stupid high school kid who is bored hanging out on the street corner who might give you crap.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    I think the one common thread between the people who eschew bike specific riding clothes is that they don't ride much or very far. Up your mileage/hours then comment.

Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    I think the one common thread between the people who eschew bike specific riding clothes is that they don't ride much or very far. Up your mileage/hours then comment.
    6-7 miles 3-4 days a week after work, plus a 10-12 miler on the weekend. Wish I could ride more than that. No saddle sores yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    I've never worn a real jersey, though. They seem really expensive and always look really stupid, IMO. I don't need to be a walking billboard. I just wear a plain coolmax t-shirt .
    But with a regular shirt you don't have a back pocket for a camera, one for a spare tube, and a third for trash. There is a reason so many people wear them......they are practical!
    "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein

cool dude
    Quote Originally Posted by brianthebiker
    But with a regular shirt you don't have a back pocket for a camera, one for a spare tube, and a third for trash. There is a reason so many people wear them......they are practical!
    my t-shirt doesn't, but my camelbak has more than enough pockets. i'm not saying they aren't practical, just that so are other things. And i'm a poor college student.

i wear a t-shirt, of which i have about a thousand, and mesh shorts. the only thing i wear that is not normal besides my helmet, gloves and shoes is that i switch the boxers for boxer briefs when i ride. i just picked up a nashbar legend saddle and haven't put too many miles on it yet but i'm loving it, infinitly more comfortable than the old saddle i was using from my old bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    my t-shirt doesn't, but my camelbak has more than enough pockets. i'm not saying they aren't practical, just that so are other things. And i'm a poor college student.
    I am not saying they are a must have......coolmax tshirts are fine. It's just that it is nice to reach in the back pocket and grab something instead of pulling over and undoing the Camelback.

As for cost.....I too don't like to spend alot on these things and I just this week ordered some jerseys from Performance for $19.98 each. Can't beat that.
    "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The other thing is one jersey will outlast 10 t-shirts if you're riding like crazy.

I have 6 year old jerseys that I've worn over and over and over again, and they look almost brand new.

In that same time I've probably worn out 25 t-shirts without even using them for sports.

Same thing for high quality bike shorts, they are very tough compared to "street clothes".

And if you look some of the expensive bike clothes are actually even made in the US. Perl Izumi for example... made in the US, not china, one reason they're expensive.

Dr Gadget is IN

Mixed

Bike shorts - definitely! As others have said, once you make the move you will know why you need them. I note that by&for women, these are recommended: http://www.harlotwear.com/shorts&pants.htm

You've got bike shoes? Another one that really makes a difference. Bike socks are better, but not that much of a diff. Tops: I live in a hot/dry climate and can wear pretty much anything from cotton to super-duper. If you're patient you can get jerseys on sale in the $30 range to try.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

Dec 2003

Only on the bike!

I'd get some weird looks if I wore lycra and a jersey to the office.

mtbr member
    Don't mean to be snotty or snide or whatever but, ROFLMAO So that gives you what 30-40 miles per week, try riding 20,30 or 40+ miles in one go 4-5 times a week and then talk about no saddle soars wearing normal shorts with no liners.
    Originally Posted by Rivet
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtail Guy
    6-7 miles 3-4 days a week after work, plus a 10-12 miler on the weekend. Wish I could ride more than that. No saddle sores yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    I'm very much old school I wear baggy shorts & a T-shirt Always have & will. I tried the biker shorts not for me.

mtbr member

That is not much at all.

I do closer to 20 miles a day most every day and I wear lycra.

mtbr member
    I don't. I suppose I could, but I've not felt the need. And I'll do 60-80 miles on a weekend.
    One main reason, for the shirts, at least, is that I find it silly all the jerseys with the logos or ads on them. Why do they make them that way? If I'm gonna wear a jersey with Corona Light on it, Corona's damn well paying me to advertise for them.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    For a quick 5-10 mile ride under 1 hour regular clothes are fine. If your out there for several hours the the bike shorts are worth it. When I started riding I wore regular clothes. As soon as I started riding longer ride I needed something bike specific for comfort. The first time I tried lycra shorts with chamois I was converted. I will never go back. A good pair of bike shorts and a good jersey are like a second skin. You don't even notice there on you. And if you take care of them (no harsh washing) they last for many years.

mtbr member
    I don't wear cycling specific shorts or jersey but only because my last ones wore out and i haven't been able to buy new ones yet. I find them heaps more comfortable than regular shorts and t-shirts for riding.

The Mud Stud
    I dont, mostly cuz I cant afford the stuff{Im a student}. I have a shirt and a hydration pak, and shoes that are not specific but that are so worn that they might as well be. I use cage pedals, and they will be the first to go when I can get nicer, am currently gonna get a new fork. Am also saving to get a pair of gloves. Practically smashed my right pinky into a tree last week, but Im fine. Get a specialized bg saddle, it is extremely comfortable and also good for you{some of you will know what I mean by that}. If your really hurting, get a cane creek suspention seatpost.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...by=&view_all=1

Performance has got plenty of solid color and otherwise understated jerseys.

Keep in mind plenty of people who wear flashy jerseys with corporate logos ARE sponsored by those companies.

I'm not as sure about MTB people but around here all the road teams are sponsored, so pimping the company logos is important. In the woods it seems like most people keep it a bit less flashy.

Feb 2006
    Some more good points have been brought up here.
    At the moment I probably cover about 10 miles a ride, and I try & get out whenever I can which lately has beeen something like 2 -3 times a week. I do completely realize that unless I had some real miraculous saddle which was just perfect (you never know it could happen?) when I start going riding for longer than an hour and a half at a time I would probably have to look at some extra padding wether it be lycra or baggies. I guess that's part of the reason I was asking - so I could gague the need a bit as I really would like to make the effort and time to source out some longer rides soon.
    I'm not a big sort of lady so lycra doesn't bother me for that reason it's more just not liking the look on myself - well particularly of those cheap tights, seem to look real shocking. But then again, when riding I don't think looks is so much of an issue.

I reckon it's great that mountain bikers are pretty cool towards each other regardless what everyone chooses to wear - and yep there are some strong opinions on what's better & why, I guess that's why the debates will come up every now & then. But in the end if anyone gets bagged out about wearing lycra it's generally in fun anyway, jut like your mates make sure you don't forget about that really embarrasing crash!

My general kit out on rides is as follows: Full finger gloves (troy lee xc), low end Lake brand shoes. Normal (low cut) socks. Helmet of course. Sometimes sunnies sometimes not - if not then I wear glasses anyway. And always the camelbak - since I've brought this I don't use bottles any more. And recently the newest addition is a plain blue cycling Jersey I picked up cheap off Ebay - it's a mens one - small but fits good if not a bit long.

The advertisiing on the Jerseys, I reckon it's because generally people kind of look up to the pros, and naturally the stuff that the pros ride, use, eat, wear must be the best - sure that statement isn't true but it's the general thought that crosses everyones mind - "if he's using it and he has won then it must be good". So I guess people will get those parts on their bikes if they can afford it, people may buy a particular brand of bike, and for people more seriously into the game (this is a generalization of course) wanting to wear similar stuff to what the pros wear is a natural thing. Otherwise I suppose if people like certain brands they tend to like to show it in their clothing. Well it must sell pretty well otherwise they wouldn't make it right? There's more of the bling bling clothing in shops than there is plain stuff - interestingly though shorts and knicks have stayed pretty plain.

Sorry about the long winded reply, think I'm done for now

mtbr member
    I have a pair of black canondale baggy shorts with a built in liner. They're so nice. I love them. Only $50 too

Hairy man
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtail Guy
    Bah, bike clothes. I wear a plain old T-shirt, and some satiny basketball-type addidas shorts, and some boxers.
    Boxers? I need to keep my naughty bits tightly restrained on the bike. I tried riding in boxers twice and both times I ended up having the seat pop off a bump right into the wrong part of me. Boxer briefs seem like enough restraint to keep that from happening.

I got me some boxer briefs with chamios from Preformance, and I like them a lot. They're wicking, they're padded, they're cheap, and I can wear my normal cargo shorts over them. While I don't [b]need[b] the padding, I do find it better to be padded when I'm riding over an hour.
    We all get it in the end.

I already rode that
    Used to ride in normal short and tee's then went and got some lycra shorts and its been alot better since! Not that it wasnt a problem before that but when I tried them and felt how much cooler they kept me what wasnt not to like about them. Other then others seeing them as roadie/racer only....

Try the womens lounge if you already havent as your sure to get more woman friendly advice there.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

Nice no rass
    Cheap-o chamois padded spandex shorts from pricepoint (~$10) under crappy old cargo shorts. They are mud stained because they don't shed mud

T-shirts, whichever ratty ones are on top of the pile when I leave to ride so the mud/blood stains don't matter.

I grabbed a pair of padded baggies from Nashbar, the survey is still out on those, not sure if I really like them or not, not real "supportive" if you know what I mean, and they feel like a diaper when off the saddle. I rode a few days ago without my spandex shorts underneath and snagged the boys when coming back onto the saddle after rolling down a real steep rockface...not gonna ride without my spandex shorts again, believe that.

it's....
    I have some bike jerseys and shorts, but mostly wear regular sweat-wicking polyester t shirts and shorts.
    Then again, I wear motorcycle touring jacket for skiing!

The Weatherman
    Cycling specific shorts were a godsend when I finally broke down and bought them. Baggies. Not lycra, though I am not opposed to wearing lycra. I have tights for cold weather and all.

The jerseys I don't see as being that key. Plenty of cheaper options out there without all that advertising on it. When you can get a wicking t-shirt for like $10 it's hard to spend $80+ on an item that is not going to significantly impact your ride. Yeah, they have pockets. Big deal. So does my Camelback if I happen to need something. Maybe if I raced the grab while you go would be more of a big deal, but it really doesn't bother me to pull over if I need to get something out of my bag.

Very rarely need to grab anything while I am on the move anyway. Like I said. If I raced, my viewpoint would likely be very different.

Cycling shorts? BIG Yes. Jersey? If you have money that is burning a hole in your pocket, sure.

Cycling Jacket? Yes! Especially if you want to extend your ride time in the cold months

Cycling Tights? Same as above.

Socks? They look cool, but I don't own any of them. I just use my technical running socks. Work just as well.

~I Ride In Circles ~
    Tell ya what.. I think my combination of clothes works pretty well.
    Up top:
    under armor like tight fit shirt
    Slightly baggy underarmor type shirt over top
    (athletic works from walmart.. same stuff but dirt cheap)

On Bottom:
    Bike shorts with chamois
    Baggy Adidas shorts roller up once to get the crotch up a little

In my experiance the shirts work great, They wick moisture away and if you fall.. the outer layer slides across the under layer so sticks and stuff don't get stuck in you. It's still light weight and I don't notice that i'm wearing 2 shirts. I also have a long sleeve base layer that is skin tight that works great because it gives you another place to wipe your face off!
    ~ it's all good ~

May 2006

I don't wanna get flamed all to hell but..

I think the people who wear the lycra shorts and tops look like human sperms riding a bike.
    I usually go with cargo shorts and a Tshirt. Just me..

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HaulAss
    I think the people who wear the lycra shorts and tops look like human sperms riding a bike.
    Tail-less sperm with biking logos?

Respect Your Trails
    I think cycling specific clothing is a little overrated, not to mention over priced. Especially jerseys. There are a lot of other things I could spend 50-80 bucks on rather than some flashy jersey with a product on it, that I'm not sponsored by. my 2

For the really hot days some type of moister wicking shirt is great...and same with really cold winter days.

On a nice comfortable day, a T-shirt will do just just fine. On the bottom some type of cargo shorts or pants. Something light and fast drying with some extra storage space. I can see using padded shorts for an all day epic ride, but if your not off the saddle enough to avoid your butt hurting....your not riding like you should be.

I'll cut up old pants that are too short or I don't like anymore, and I've got riding shorts just like that. I like to recycle. Might as well get a little more use out of them.

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoSoSwiM
    Tell ya what.. I think my combination of clothes works pretty well.
    Up top:
    under armor like tight fit shirt
    Slightly baggy underarmor type shirt over top
    (athletic works from walmart.. same stuff but dirt cheap)

On Bottom:
    Bike shorts with chamois
    Baggy Adidas shorts roller up once to get the crotch up a little

In my experiance the shirts work great, They wick moisture away and if you fall.. the outer layer slides across the under layer so sticks and stuff don't get stuck in you. It's still light weight and I don't notice that i'm wearing 2 shirts. I also have a long sleeve base layer that is skin tight that works great because it gives you another place to wipe your face off!

I reckon the two layer principle would be a good one - but probably a bit hot where I am.

Something I can see worthwhile investin in is riding pants (longs) because whenever I have worn Jeans they had always got caught in the chain rings, and it's a pain tyeing them with shoelaces or something! Where I live at the moment thought I don't think I'll have the need for jeans for 90% of the year.

I learned the hard way not to wear that god white top out on a ride - bound to find some mud! And I guess it depends on the material, but leaves nice stains!

mtbr member
    You would be hard press to get me in spandex. I bought Baggy padded shorts right away. Then just work my under armour tops that I wear to the gym.

I finally bought a jersey two years ago. Still wore the sleeveless UA shirts though. Just yesterday I received my first two sleeveless jersey's from Nashbar. They fit just like my UA but now I need the rear pockets since i can bike for 23 miles at a time on the trail non-stop.

Members who have read this thread: 0