Where to buy a MET Para-chute helmet?- Mtbr.com

Jun 2004

Where to buy a MET Para-chute helmet?

Does anyone know of a source for the Para-chute?

I contacted Fisher in the U.K., and they passed me on to a U.K. seller called Wiggle, but when I contacted Wiggle they said they don't sell to Canada.

(Clarkgriswald managed to order one somehow from an LBS in the U.K., but I haven't been able to reach him. BTW, I won't be buying a Giro Switchblade... I've finally seen one close up, and didn't like it.)

Feb 2004

from the web site....

Madam, Sir,

we have to inform you that MET S.p.A., producer of the MET helmets, have decided not to export their helmets to North-America (Canada and United States of America). As a supplier of helmets throughout the world, MET have to ensure that their products pass the different safety standards that apply in the countries in which they are sold. MET helmets do not meet just one of these standards but all of them, whether it is Europe, Japan, or Australia, for instance. Nevertheless, we have noted that some court decisions about product liability in some countries, especially USA and Canada penalize manufacturers for damages that may be suffered by a consumer involved in an accident. This, sometimes, occurs regardless of the quality of the product, and the safety it actually provides. Moreover, judicial costs and attorney's fees are very burdensome in North America. It being confirmed that MET products are fully UE regulations, safety standards and state of the art compliant, MET S.p.A., as a family business, not run yan obscure international financial conglomerate but by people, individuals working together, side by side, each and every day, have decided to keep their products out of the North-American market, and to spend time, money and energy in product research and development, not lawyers and trails. Anyone who would violate MET S.p.A above decision, and would import Met helmet in North-America will be exclusively responsible for any legal consequence involving MET helmets. We thank you for your interest and for taking the time to contact us. We are confident that you will find a suitable helmet among the products available on your home market.

This sucks, for the US and Canada as countries and for Euro suppliers. Makes us North Americans look like we live to win the law suit lottery. oh wait, i guess we do.