Where to buy body armor in San Diego/SoCal- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Where to buy body armor in San Diego/SoCal

Okay, I just moved here from Marin County, where they essentially only let you ride fire roads (with a few legal exceptions). Here in S.D. my condo has the Ted Williams/Meadowbrook area literally in the back yard: a fun place to ride but with many steep, scary, rutted, rocky trails that scare the %&#$* out of me on my skinny old hardtail. You guys sure have a lot of sharp rocks around here! Did I mention I'm 53 years old? Upshot of all this: I need armor! I have never used it and I'm completely ignorant. I buy most of my parts/gear online but armor is more like clothing - it's gotta fit and be at least somewhat comfortable. So I'd like to see it/try it on before I buy. Any place carry this stuff in S.D. County or other SoCal? (I'm in Poway, but I DO own a car). Thanks!

mtbr member
    North of the Border has THE Body Armor for a pretty good price, but has limited in stock selection (great shop for repairs/tune-ups and ordering parts) but if you want to try on a large selection i would check out BikeBling up in Escondido. You can check their webpage to see what they have then go instore to try on and buy. Amazing amount of stock in a small space

24v
    mtbr member
    North of The Border bikes is pretty near you, and they have some pretty good prices on T.H.E. branded armor.
    http://nbbikes.com/

mtbr member
    I vote for Bike Bling in Escondido. Ask for Kerry, he'll take care of you.
    JB

TCB
    mtbr member
    Try BIKE VAULT, it's a new shop located in Escondido http://www.shopbikevault.com/

316 West Mission Avenue Suite 117
    Escondido, CA, 92025
    "No matter where you go there you are" BUCKAROO BANZAI

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    BeyondBikes is really close to you as well....

12310 World Trade Dr. Suite 107
    San Diego, CA 92128

mtbr member
    BeyondBikes would have been a good option, but there is no more store (only online now)
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=6600367

24v
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill
    BeyondBikes would have been a good option, but there is no more store (only online now)
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=6600367
    Not anymore, Cambria Bikes bought Beyond, and they moved out.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I don't know anywhere local.
    I ordered RaceFace FR Arms and Legs from AEBike and they pricematched.
    I got my full face at a local shop.
    I haven't really got chest and shoulders, spine or pressure suit etc. yet.

Marin native
    Sep 2009
    I'm from Marin also. Grew up in San Anselmo. My brother used to run Mt. Tam Cyclery in SA before Caesar's took over.

I recommend North of the Border also for the THE arm and leg pads, great guys own the place. But BikeBling is a great shop with lots of inventory.

-Gabriel

mtbr member
    Fireroads only? I thought Marin was the birthplace of mtn biking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Don't Let This Happen to You

Yup, it was indeed the birthplace: Gary Fisher, Tom Ritchey, Joe Breeze, etc. It was also the birthplace of severely limiting access to trails by cyclists. Those young biker hooligans in the 1970's scared the crap out of the earth-loving pseudo hippie hikers of Marin. Reaction? Ban bikes everywhere but fire roads that are wide, boring and unappealing to hikers anyway. And even on those trails impose strict speed limits (usually 15 mph). Ever see a ranger with a speed gun on a trail? You would if you rode in Marin - just check the Norcal forum. And yes, they can issue citations. So most of the fun/thrilling/beautiful/wild stuff is off limits, with a few notable exceptions. If I wanted wild and challenging stuff I'd have to go to Oat Hill Mine Road in Napa County or other hour+ drive locations (TAHOE!). Anyway, let this be a lesson to SD Area MTBRs: It can all be taken away from you. But if you're on this forum I guess you already know this.

San Diego County
    Quote Originally Posted by sponger
    Fireroads only? I thought Marin was the birthplace of mtn biking.
    Also the birthplace of Feds putting paraquat on pot.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Of course the easiest way to fix this is to go for a hike.
    DT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcherrick
    Yup, it was indeed the birthplace: Gary Fisher, Tom Ritchey, Joe Breeze, etc. It was also the birthplace of severely limiting access to trails by cyclists. Those young biker hooligans in the 1970's scared the crap out of the earth-loving pseudo hippie hikers of Marin. Reaction? Ban bikes everywhere but fire roads that are wide, boring and unappealing to hikers anyway. And even on those trails impose strict speed limits (usually 15 mph). Ever see a ranger with a speed gun on a trail? You would if you rode in Marin - just check the Norcal forum. And yes, they can issue citations. So most of the fun/thrilling/beautiful/wild stuff is off limits, with a few notable exceptions. If I wanted wild and challenging stuff I'd have to go to Oat Hill Mine Road in Napa County or other hour+ drive locations (TAHOE!). Anyway, let this be a lesson to SD Area MTBRs: It can all be taken away from you. But if you're on this forum I guess you already know this.
    I did not know all that. When MBA did a spread on Mt. Tamalpais a couple months back, I erroneously figured that was typical Marin. Dang hippies. They should just do a ban on bikes with over 5" of travel, the penalty for violation being a steep climb with the seat still lowered. I'd imagine those people would give up cycling altogether. No offense to conscientious DH'rs of course.

Members who have read this thread: 0