When to wear gloves- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

When to wear gloves

When do you wear gloves? I have been contemplating getting of half finger gloves for pedaling around town. When and which kind of gloves do you wear?

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    Long fingered gloves all the time.

When a stack happens whats the things you put out to try and stop .......... hands
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    I always wear long finger gloves with a light pad/kevlar on the heel of the palm on every ride. I don't get the no glove thing.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I hear that. I live in Florida so I was thinking ff would be a little hot during the summer for just riding the street. Off road, yes but didn't think I would need such protection for the road

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Do you use your hands for your livelihood? (trick question unless you've already hit the jackpot). If so, definitely wear gloves, on all rides.

ready to ride
    Fingered and padded. Just like a helmet, all the time every time. There are plenty of gloves that are suitable for hot climates.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Even for just easy pavement riding with the family?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: When to wear gloves

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe03 View Post
    When do you wear gloves? I have been contemplating getting of half finger gloves for pedaling around town. When and which kind of gloves do you wear?
    I always wear gloves, and fingerless unless it is cold.
    Which gloves is personal preference. Go to your LBS and try them all on.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I never wear gloves for easy rides or commutes unless it's cold, and if I accidentally forget to pack gloves for an off-road ride I don't fret over that much either.

I'm probably not the most sensible person though and gloves do make good sense for most riding situations. Half finger ones are cooler and fine for the road IMO.

Broken Hipster
    It's second nature after a while. Feels strange even riding around the block after a tune-up without gloves on anymore.

Finally!
    I wear gloves every ride. All year.

Clueless Bastard
    If 'cross or the velodrome taught me anything, long fingered gloves on all bikes, all the time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I am going to hit up my lbs and try some one. Haven't decided if I will wear them all the time but at least I will have them.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I use the 661 Raji's year round unless its really cold then I go for something beefier. They are long lasting and you can find them for $10 to $15 all the time (PP, steepandcheap). They offer decent protection and coverage while being light weight and gripy. Note they do not have a padded palm.

mtbr member
    Long fingers and padded. I can't ride in the summer without them, my hands sweat too much and can't hold the grips.

Professional Crastinator
    I wear gloves any time there is a chance I will fall down.

I'm wearing gloves right now!

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Viva la Vida!
    When you ride
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

Trailhead Poseur
    Florida rider here, and I wear full-fingered gloves all the time. They will give you a better grip on the handlebar when you start sweating for one thing. Secondly, they protect your hands. The singletrack where I ride is so narrow in parts that my hands run through the bushes on either side, and palmetto leaves are sharp. Without gloves my fingers looked like I was a cutter who went to town on them with a razorblade.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

mtbr member

Re: When to wear gloves

I used to be in the no gloves camp. As my riding progressed and I began racing I found that the gloves became necessary. My hands would get sweaty and my gription would not be good. Now, I wear gloves every ride except putzing around town with my kids. If I get to the trail and don't have gloves it's not a deal breaker, but the slip resistance and extra protection are nice.

My hands are like shoe leather. I work hard for a living and work outside year round. I wear gloves for grip and so that I don't damage whatever my hands may hit.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    2018 Santa Cruz Blur
    2015 Santa Cruz Highball
    2016 Jake The Snake

Rent this space for $
    Coming from motorcycle riding and, fortunately for me...second hand experience, I look at it this way. How do you feel about maintaining the dignity of wiping your own ass? No gloves? You just might find out what that's all about.

mtbr member
    Helmet, glasses and gloves at all times. I live in a hot climate,and I find full finger gloves give me better grip with sweaty hands.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yeah I was leaning toward ff. I guess it time to get to my lbs and start trying some on

mtbr member
    Wrecking on the asphalt can be just as bad...if not worse than dirt.

Always full finger on dirt.

Full finger on road too...unless its real hot...then half finger.

mtbr member
    Gloves all the time....road bike half finger Mountain bike Fox or Giro full finger with gel

I like turtles
    Road or mountain, I wear gloves every ride. I can certainly go without, but like the extra protection. Road I wear 1/2 finger and on the mountain (warm weather) some minimal ones (661 Raji). When its colder, I use Pearl's Cyclone glove.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    I take my motorcycling views to biking "All the gear, all the time"....helmet, gloves, pack ...etc. After all, you only need when you need it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I finally picked up a pair of Giro Bravo FF. I went to my lbs and they seem to fit the best. I went up a size and went with xxl vs xl. The xl just felt too tight and didn't come up far enough on my wrist and sat right where my wrist would bend, making it uncomfortable. They just felt a tab bit to short. The guy at the store said they would stretch a bit but the fact they felt short just didn't feel right. The xxl fit better. They aren't so tight in the fingers and wrist, but they aren't big enough to say they are too big. I am assuming after and few rides and some washes they will shrink a tad. I will be hopefully trying them out tomorrow on a local trail to see how they work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    Fingered and padded. Just like a helmet, all the time every time. There are plenty of gloves that are suitable for hot climates.
    After a ride I usually put my gloves inside my helmet and throw them in my truck. One time I went for a ride and realized that I forgot both. I figured I'd risk riding without a helmet just that once, but stopped on the way and bought gloves because I knew I couldn't possibly ride without them.

mtbr member
    Forgot gloves once... starting sleeting, ended up palming some goarse!! Never again...
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Ride Everything
    I never ride w/o gloves. Even if it's 100 degrees, I'm still going to want something protecting my hands in the event of a fall/crash.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Its been my experience to buy them to fit. They're usually synthetics and don't shrink much, if any. If anything they kinda stretch and wear in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe03 View Post
    I finally picked up a pair of Giro Bravo FF. I went to my lbs and they seem to fit the best. I went up a size and went with xxl vs xl. The xl just felt too tight and didn't come up far enough on my wrist and sat right where my wrist would bend, making it uncomfortable. They just felt a tab bit to short. The guy at the store said they would stretch a bit but the fact they felt short just didn't feel right. The xxl fit better. They aren't so tight in the fingers and wrist, but they aren't big enough to say they are too big. I am assuming after and few rides and some washes they will shrink a tad. I will be hopefully trying them out tomorrow on a local trail to see how they work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I quickly figured that out. Once i tried them on my bike, I could immediately tell they were too big. Went back and swapped them out for an xl pair. That should do the trick. Hopefully they will hold up considering they are "road" gloves and I will be using them for off road.

mtbr member
    Full finger gloves every ride and heavier thicker ones for winter.
    "Lock S-Foils in attack position"

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    +1

Fox Gloves give me the best fit. I had a pair years ago with full index finger and thumb and half everything else. They were Fox and I loved them...wish they still made them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I got the giro bravo ff in xl. Got great and after about 5 minutes I didn't even realize I had them on. I am very happy with them.

mtbr member
    I never used to wear gloves, and now that I do, I can't imagine not wearing gloves. . . . Even to the point where I see YT videos (even pros) not wearing gloves and think to myself "Whyyyy?"

I will always use full fingers. I bought a few weeks ago some ones from Halfords which were cheap and decent, not much padding but have just ordered some Alpinestars Moab gloves aswell.

Part of the reason I like full fingered more is, if I ever have to change a tire, repair a chain link etc. . . I won't get my (actual) hands all muddy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Any time I leave the neighborhood (gated community) but wear fingerless on my roadbike.