When to replace my shoes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

When to replace my shoes?

Just curious as to when I should be replacing my shoes? I have been experiencing some unrelated foot problems of late and began thinking about my shoe life...It's off season right now (in Canada), but I am on the trainer a few times/week. This upcoming spring will be the fourth summer with the same pair of shoes. As riding shoes are not like others, I think they are okay, but really don't know. Anyone have any feedback as what is a realistic estimate of time to replace shoes? And if so, any recommendations for a light shoe for xc riding? Thanks.

N.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Well, if they are getting flimsy you need a new pair. I suggest the sidi dominators. I looked at it like an investment. I went through four pairs or five pairs of [email protected]$ a pop and the longest lasting pair was 1 1/2 years. I bought a pair of dom 4's three years ago and have used them 10 months out of the year during that time. I am having the velcro replaced right now by a cobbler and having some modifications done as well. Still stiff(though not AS stiff as new) very comfy. Made in italy... get them cheap on ebay. Can't beat em.

slow
    When the sole breaks in half.

I'm cheap and rode my last two pairs five and six+ years respectively. I'd still be riding them if they hadn't broken at the cleat holes. They just felt like they were getting broken in with 5-6000 miles on them.

just along for the ride
    Oh so true I delam the sole from the shoe and just a couple dry wall screws/hot glue and its good as new, break the soul and its all over

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    Oh so true I delam the sole from the shoe and just a couple dry wall screws/hot glue and its good as new, break the soul and its all over
    Man, you so cheap!!!

Dry wall screws?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    When the sole breaks in half.

I'm cheap and rode my last two pairs five and six+ years respectively. I'd still be riding them if they hadn't broken at the cleat holes. They just felt like they were getting broken in with 5-6000 miles on them.
    Are you my twin? My last pair of Specialized Pros lasted me 6 years and finally gave up the ghost when the sole of the right shoe cracked in half.

So yeah, when the sole breaks in half, you know its time for new shoes.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

Jan 2004
    Replace them when you go to unclip and the top of the shoe comes off but the entire sole stays attached to the pedal. Seriously thats how I've seen many of my friends replace theirs.

Jul 2005
    I just screwed my cleats to the bottom of my feet. Big $aving$

Members who have read this thread: 0