When to buy a new helmet.- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

When to buy a new helmet.

After riding today i forgot I put my helmet on the roof of the car before setting off.
    It fell down to the asphalt at 30 mph, had only a couple of scratches. Should I buy a new on or can i still trust it ?
    Thanks.

Jan 2004

Check it out, then ride.

I once heard that should a helmet be dropped on the concrete floor, you should run out and buy a new helmet. Even if it 'looks' fine, tiny fractures in the inner shell have compromised the strength and you put your head in jepordy.

I don't buy it.

My helmet (Giro Xen) is my most important peice of equipment. I would check out the helmet inside and out for cracks. Feel under the plastic coating too. If you see no obvious signs, then I would continue using it. I suggest using your common sense judgement and don't 'buy' into the buy mentality.

Ah, if only I practiced what I preached!

Quote Originally Posted by Blather
    After riding today i forgot I put my helmet on the roof of the car before setting off. It fell down to the asphalt at 30 mph, had only a couple of scratches. Should I buy a new on or can i still trust it? Thanks.

Dec 2003
    While the hairline fracture thoery is a good one for climbing equipment, I would say it is necessary for a helmet. Buy a new helment when you see any disturbance in the foam, even if the platic is not cracked. The foam wont crack twice, and something else will crack instead. When you do buy a helment, but a good one. My co-worker just cracked his skull in a wreck, I can only imagine what would have happened with a cheap helment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't understand what you mean by a "cheap" helmet. They all pass the same standards. Sure, some cover a little more of the back of the head but most offer almost identical protection. If you mean cheap, as in ill fitting, then you may have something there. However, because everyone's head is shaped differently even a "cheap", "ill fitting" helmet will fit someone great. Some even theorize that the more angular helmets (like the high end offerings of just about every manufacturer) are less safe than the egg shaped (read, rounded) lower end offerings because the more rounded helmets will slide and stay on your head versus catch and be ripped off when you hit the turf. The bottom line is, buy the one that fits the best, then worry about style and price. If the "cheapest" helmet fits the best then it's really the best buy.

mtbr member
    I feel your helmet should be replaced after either a crash that involves your helmet (regardless how your helmet looks) or 3-4 yrs. Whichever comes first. A drop onto the ground shouldn't be a problem unless your head was in it.