what's in your first aid Kit?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

what's in your first aid Kit?

I'm updating my first aid kit. I have a cheap $.99 one and feel there should be more but not sure what to have. What are the items you have in your kits and what you use to store the supplies in?

mtbr member
    several size band-aids, gauze pads, medical tape, alcohol wipes, antibiotic ointment/wipes, and i forget what else... its all surprisingly compact and weightless

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Same as above, plus a fine comb and tweezers....cactus brings the suck!

Accident Prone
    The same but I also have super glue and ace bandages.
    2012 Scott Scale Expert 29

mtbr member

I also recommend....

I had an incident in a rockgarden that required a bunch of stitches last year and I was instantly thankful that I had a blood coagulant granules and duct tape. I was able to pour them in the wound in my leg after rinsing with my camelbak, put an absorbant pad over it, wrap duct tape around the whole mess, and ride out 16 miles of technical singletrack to my truck without any additional lost blood. Before I remembered I had it, I and a couple other guys were beginning to think I was going to bleed out because we couldn't get it to stop.

So I vote big time for blood clotting agent / coagulant and dressing pads. Best 2 grams a guy can carry. I also recommend a pair of gloves in case you find yourself helping out someone else which I have used on 3 other instances.

A friend was uber glad that I had Imodium tablets for diarrhea on an epic day long ride once too!

This place is where I ordered a bunch of good stuff:

First Aid Kits | First Aid Supplies | CPR Supplies | First Aid Kit | First Aid Supplies Online

Keep it all in a Ziploc freezer bag in the camelbak for storage.
    Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

mtbr member
    small shears
    adult sized oral airway (it'll fit me and the guys I ride with)
    Sam splint
    1 - 4" kling gauze roll
    a number of gauze - 4x4, 3x3, 2x2
    Butterfly bandages
    Band-aid
    cravat
    exam gloves
    ziplock bag for storage and wound irrigation

Bleeding needs to be controlled but wounds do not need to be closed up tight.
    Sutures, staples, and superglue are not what I would use. In the field, you can wind up with a contaminated wound and when you close that up... certain bacteria thrive. Infection city! Plus, if you superglue a wound closed... the doc won't have any idea what's inside.
    Instead, you want to flush/clean any open wound with the cleanest water available.
    Then, you control bleeding with dressings, and direct pressure (elevation sometimes works but is not always practical). Follow that up with bandaging and splinting if needed.
    As has been mentioned above, serious bleeding can sometimes be controlled by blood-clotting agents found for sale now. Different brands are available, and you need to really understand when to use them. Understand how to use them.
    A tourniquet can be a life saver, but you should understand what they are, how to make them, and how to manage them until you hand the patient off to advanced medical personnel.

For bleeding, you need a clean (sterile if possible) cover directly over the wound. 4X4 gauze is the most versatile... better than 2x2 or 3x3, if you don't have room.
    You may need to approximate the edges of the wound... bring them close together. Butterfly bandaids are good for this. You can buy pre-made ones or make your own.

Flush a dirty wound clean by using a ziploc bag with one corner pricked open so when the bag is squeezed, you get a jetting stream of water.

Wounds in areas that articulate.. joints... need to be stabilized. Splinting is what you do here.

You don't need a bunch of sterile dressings... the cleanest dressing should go right over the wound, you can put pretty much any absorbent material on after that for bulk... sweaty t-shirts, heck even your socks.

Breaks/Fractures/Sprains need to be stabilized but not so tight you shut off circulation. A SAM Splint is great for this, along with roller gauze or a cravat. Use wide ties, not zip ties because the thinner the tie is the more it indents the skin, possibly shutting down circulation. It could be possible to pad underneath zip ties so they don't do this. Learn to improvise. Natural materials can be used in place of certain types of medical equipment, such as splints.

IT's late and that's all or now

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think before you decide what goes into your FA kit you have to ask a few questions:

Is it to be taken just on your local ride or on a bike expedition lasting a few days in a remote wilderness area? Are you alone or in a group? Are you the appointed medic for the group or your kit should be just for yourself? Is it an isolated area with no one else around or it is a popular trail with many cyclists around to help? Does your mobile work in all places around the trail or there is no means of emergency communication?

A FA kit has got to be arranged for your specific needs, if you just carry a generic kit for all rides there will me moments you will be carrying to much or too little.

Whatever the ride, first aid always comes down to the ABC + D + E. WSMAC has written some good points above so I will just bring a few extra bits.

The first worry on a serious crash has got to come down to SPINAL injury as usually, in MTB, the MOI (mechanism of injury) is very significant (trauma at high speeds) and breaking bones in the spinal column is a real possibility. A broken spine can lead to breathing/ limb paralysis and therefore should be on the top of the list (together with catastrophic bleeding). As a rule of thumb if there is head injury or damage to the helmet, seriously consider spinal injury and act accordingly doing a thorough spinal check/clearing even if the patient is already up on his feet.

Catastrophic bleeding is top priority too but is less likely to occur in bike crashes unless there is some sort of penetration (caused by branches for ex) or deep lacerations (by the chainring for ex.). Most big bleeds can be stopped by direct pressure (it can take time for clots to permanently stop the bleed - up to 20 minutes - so be patient and keep the pressure) and the use of a tourniquet would be overkill in most cases if not all (it is very useful for knife/ballistic/blast injuries though) but if you think it is required use it (contrary to popular believe it can be left for a fairly long time without causing damage to the limb but it will cause excruciating pain and for that reason alone it should be avoided). Hemostatic dressings (that stimulate clotting) are usually overkill too but they might be useful if you are a bit impatient or are treating deep bleeding wounds in upper leg or torso.

Fractures are less likely to kill (unless it is on the spine - as talked above - or femur - causing large loss of blood internally) so the treatment can be less urgent but learning how to reduce them and stabilizing it is a must as it will reduce pain and decrease the chances of nerves/ vessels / tissue damage by reducing pressure or restoring circulation distal to the injury.

Abrasions are painful but usually just need a good wash to avoid them getting infected. If there is loss of material, covering the wound would be advised.

Hypothermia must be a big consideration too! If clothes are wet with sweat the patient will get cold very quickly even in fairly warm weather, and if he/she has to wait for hours for an organized rescue (due to a leg or spinal fracture for ex) maybe in cold weather with rain/snow hypothermia will become the main threat to life. And if the patient has lost a lot of blood the decline will be fast and steep. So always take a spare jacket, at least.

As for the kit, for my day rides in local trails and trail centres (where I am a max of 2-3hours to be taken to hospital even if a full spinal immobilization rescue is performed) , I usually carry a bit of extra water in the camelback (mainly for washing crap out of wounds) and an extra jacket. I do carry a C.A.T. tourniquet (just in case), 2 triangular bandages (small, light and amazingly multifunctional), a Olaes Bandage (from TacMed Solutions, simply the best multifunction bandage in the market today) and a SAM Splint (when there is space in the bag and I am the group medic).

For anything longer than that or in really remote areas than the kit will increase in size. I would recommend for every mountain biker to do at least a Wilderness First Responder course and a W-EMT would be even better specially if you live in or are going to countries and locations where wilderness rescues can take many hours to arrive if at all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Oops, I was forgetting... I always take 3 pairs of medical gloves and a whistle (much more efficient than shouting) :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroC View Post
    Oops, I was forgetting... I always take 3 pairs of medical gloves and a whistle (much more efficient than shouting) :-)
    I always bring my rape whistle with me too

Members who have read this thread: 1