What's with the no gloves??- Mtbr.com
    Urban Ninja

What's with the no gloves??

I guess it's a fad? It's dangerous people. Put yer gloves back on! Discuss...

mtbr member

Gloves are key

When I'm riding, it's usually not something where I'm not working hard. Even if it's downhill, I'm usually working pretty hard trying to be fast. I sweat when I work hard (I think that's a normal response) and my hands get sweaty. I wear full fingered gloves all year just to keep grip on the bars. Nothing's worse than having your hands slide all over sweaty grips. When I first started riding, my hands slipped for a second on my rigid, and I hit the wrong rock, which put a SERIOUS dent in my rim and ended with my nuts meeting the top tube and slamming into a tree at speed.
    Riding without gloves? I don't get why you'd do it, but it just seems dumb

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Riding without gloves is okay in the dry, with dry hands. But as soon as your hands start to slip you may want to think about some gloves. If your trying to be faster the last thing you need to think about is your hands slipping on the bars or feet on the pedals for that matter. No one is going to force you to wear gloves or not, but if you slip a grip by way of not using gloves you have no one to blame but yourself!

Glad to Be Alive
    first time you fall and get scrapes you'll be back wearing gloves again.....also they grip better with sweat, moisture, water, and rain
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I like riding Gloveless, you get a better "Feel" from the bike, but its so cold at the moment the gloves have been on a fair amount!

mtbr member
    I guess I don't understand why it matters to other people...

(I usually wear gloves)

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    Glove Police.. a subset of the Helmet Police Department

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by blender
    actually it always comes down to preference by the individual
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

sixsixtysix
    If you ride where cactus, rocks and all things look to remove skin like we do in Arizona, then its not even a question of gloves or no gloves, but rather a question of do you have enough glove.

I ride the Rockgardn Fate's and probably go through a pair a month since one good fall and they are toast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If you ride your bike without a helmet you're a ****ing idiot. No excuses, any riding style, you should have a helmet on.

mtbr member
    I've ridden gloveless a couple of times (accidentally) and they resulted in scraped hands, losing grip and numbness. So yeah gloves are the way to go.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggidy
    If you ride your bike without a helmet you're a ****ing idiot. No excuses, any riding style, you should have a helmet on.
    haha.. no question there
    you'll never find me without a helmet OR without gloves on a bike.. even commuting I wear both, but that's personal preference..

which is what my Glove Police comment was about in the first place.. it's personal preference, some people ride gloveless or helmetless 'cause they chose to, some think those people are idiots, some people could give a damn either way.

so in the end.. who cares?
    I'd much rather discuss what Sam Hill will be wearing for the next WC race.

Jan 2009
    who's ever been riding really hard and their hand slip off or you have to readjust constantly? =/ i prefer the gloves..
    plus i think the gloves are kinda hot

SS FR HT
    Chicks dig scars duh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Formerbmx37
    so if a put a card in my spokes could i trick people in to thinking my bike is good

Capricious youth...
    **throws keys at your crotch**

I'm an officer with the Cup Check Police Department, from Kupcheque County.

And you failed my test.
    Meh.

Capricious youth...
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggidy
    Tell that to the hipster fixie riding crew.

No lights, no brakes, whipping through downtown at 25-30+, with nothing but their girlfriend's pants, slip-on Vans, and a vintage french cycling cap on.

I have a difficult time feeling sorry when one of them gets hurt, even if it was a car that illegally pulled out in front of them.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    yeah well it's their funeral...

The Beaver
    Sam Blenkinsop

I wear gloves
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

Capricious youth...
    He's wearing a nice watch, too.

FAIL.
    Meh.

RIDE DIRT
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    Tell that to the hipster fixie riding crew.
    hahha I thought that trend was just with the fixie riders where I live
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo-9
    Pinkbike called... They want their question back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jking09
    who's ever been riding really hard and their hand slip off or you have to readjust constantly? =/ i prefer the gloves..
    plus i think the gloves are kinda hot
    I forgot my gloves for one ride and now I keep a spare pair in my car. In 10 miles of rather easy trails, I nearly killed myself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Well i wear gloves and shin/knee guards, but i don't be wearing a helmet.

But i'm not planning on putting my teeth through my fricking stem any time soon, nor in the last 20 years of riding. But put me on a road bike and i just can't manage to keep away from opening car doors and immovable solid objects that you can see from 300 paces.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    haha.. no question there
    you'll never find me without a helmet OR without gloves on a bike.. even commuting I wear both, but that's personal preference..

which is what my Glove Police comment was about in the first place.. it's personal preference, some people ride gloveless or helmetless 'cause they chose to, some think those people are idiots, some people could give a damn either way.

so in the end.. who cares?
    I'd much rather discuss what Sam Hill will be wearing for the next WC race.
    Yeah man I didn't direct that at you; I was just making a comment in connection to your helmet police comment. They can go on and do what ever they want; but when ever I hear of someone getting into a bike wreck, if they didn't have a helmet on I just tune them out... and having worked at one of the biggest bike shops in this country I've heard plenty stories.

As for the fixie crowd, I find that only the posers don't wear a helmet. I know a few guys around Milwaukee that are those hard core fixie riders; no brakes, their bike lock chain belted around their waste and the classic vans on; that still pull a helmet out to ride.

It may not look the coolest; I know that my XL helmet over my watermelon of a head looks gigantic, but the thing has saved me plenty of times from losing a headbutting contest with any number of rocks you can find on Southern Wisconsin trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    All I wear is gloves... Nothing else. I don't like the way the clothes and helmet protect me but I like the extra grip on the bars.

Urban Ninja
    He's wearing a nice watch, too.

FAIL.
    And he hates gloves! It's madness I tell you.

trail fairy
    WC win

I'm all about protection, but hes got the results Ive seen him tear it up here in NZ its something else, and hes not the only young dewd doing it, I know not why, I don't understand it!

I did DS and DJ myself with no gloves but not DH or Moto no way, I don't no how he does it but he can amazing, Sam or Sam this year
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    I enjoy racing without gloves, I started like that in 05, its just comfortable. Plus I use those yeti grips which are super tacky and comfortable. Sometimes I use gloves though...

Capricious youth...
    Quote Originally Posted by jeng
    And he hates gloves! It's madness I tell you.

I'm pretty sure he's humming to himself while he rides, and when he doesn't know the lyrics, he just says "Meow".
    Meh.

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettj45
    I enjoy racing without gloves, I started like that in 05, its just comfortable. Plus I use those yeti grips which are super tacky and comfortable. Sometimes I use gloves though...
    I keep eating **** while racing so I need to wear gloves!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RYAN E
    I keep eating **** while racing so I need to wear gloves!!!!
    I'm betting that the gloves won't help!!!
    RUFUSPHOTO
    Action Sports Freelance Photographer
    www.ryancathrall.com

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    Actually, i just break my Troy Lee helmets when i crash

Feb 2006
    I never wear gloves now, lost way too many and never really liked em....my hands never slip off

trail fairy
    One day, I'll go back to moto gloves, MTBs dont last maybe that's why he not wearing any, by the end of his run they fall apart
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Addicted
    May 2006
    I never wore gloves riding BMX. You just learned how to ride when your hands got sweaty. I started out mountain biking and tried a few sets of gloves and just wasn't getting comfortable so I just went without them and theat's the way it's been ever since. Even in the wet, muddy, slick condition of the PNW I just leave the gloves in my pocket. The only time I wear them is when it's cold out.

mtbr member
    If you ride and dig an excessive amount then your hands get so many callouses that your hands become like gloves anyway. Your girlfriend saves money on expensive exfoliating creams due to the roughness of your hands. In addition, it's cheaper never having to buy/replace them and you "feel" the bike better. Tabletopping is easier too because the grip rotates in your hand faster. The advantages are endless.

Oh, and it is easier to color coordinate your gloves with your elbow pads.

Urban Ninja
    I also never understood why in the World Championships racers wear skin suits but leave the visor on their helmet. Wouldn't the visor create a lot of wind resistance?? Perhaps they should wear those weird things roadies wear in the time trials.

mtbr member
    Gloves, helmets... pah! Sissy's - not in my day

PennyFarthing.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Yay, someone else who agrees you feel the bike better! if im racing in the wet, gloves are For sure, but casually riding it depends if they are within my line of sight when i get my bike, if not, its gloveless!

GAME ON!
    last time i rode gloveless, i ended up with gravel in my palm. now i have scars. awesome.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Anti-Outsourcer
    Jan 2007
    I run Oury's and padded gloves... What's this "feel" you speak of?

18 years old
    Feb 2005
    I'm pretty sure he's humming to himself while he rides, and when he doesn't know the lyrics, he just says "Meow".

lots of sig material here
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    ...it's just that when I'm wondering what things are like head tube, seat post, cranks, flux capacitor, SS, FS, hardtail...

Apr 2008
    Gloves vs. no gloves is like the age old question flat pedals vs clipless for DH.

Previously all I rode with is gloves, but this summer I started experimenting, and I must say I really like the feel without gloves. I'm not sure what it is, but unless the gloves are very very snug then they just feel loose and it's as if my hands are going to come right off. I alternate now, trying to find which I like better. Either way its preference. It's not something like a helmet where safety is taken into consideration. Realistically gloves really aren't much safer then no gloves.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I cant believe no ones said it...

Gloves all the way. No glove, no love

mtbr member
    It's not so much safety for me (even though I've never gone gloveless, so i probably don't realize how much they protect), I just hate how my grips feel on bare hands. I also like having a little soft spot to wipe my forehead with...and they just make you feel so hardcore!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markw1970
    Gloves, helmets... pah! Sissy's - not in my day

PennyFarthing.jpg
    Honestly, I've always dreamed of taking one of those classical bikes down a trail. Just to say I did it. I'd eat **** about 30 times, but hey....I did it.

I use gloves and shin guards all the time now. I actually use my full face helmet a lot more now. I had a bad wreck on some single track I ride often and only had on a regular XC style helmet and hit a tree like 8 months back. My face ended up hitting my handle bars bad to the point where I busted off like 1/4 of a molar and I had some nasty cuts in my cheek. So now I have a nice hospital bill not to mention I get the joy of spending 1K at the dentist to get a crown on that tooth. It was a nasty fall. I figure more protection is better than less protection even if less would be acceptable. **** happens ya know?
    "Solution to two of the world's problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry."

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    It's all about compromise, really.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

Ricky DH
    I wear full fingure/armored gloves ALL the time, but don't think you can't still injure your hands.

Trust me, I'm living proof. When I took my glove off, I was not prepared for what I saw. I actually thought my finger was broken, not popped.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trent the Bent
    Oct 2004

true story

I got this buddy, let's call him "Meat Chip", that would not wear gloves. He was a weight lifter so he claimed his hands didn't sweat. I suggested that perhaps sweaty hands did not comprise the totality of glove positives. He politely disagreed. So last summer we're bombing down the plunge section of Cannell Meadows, 7 miles, 4400 ft descent, when just as we get within 500 yards of the finish, his back wheel washes out and he goes down. Freakishly he lands with his left hand resting palm down on his nearly red hot brake rotor. He decided he really didn't want to wear an Avid brand on his hands so from that point on he wears gloves. Fate has a perverse sense of humor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rep_1969
    I wear full fingure/armored gloves ALL the time, but don't think you can't still injure your hands.

Trust me, I'm living proof. When I took my glove off, I was not prepared for what I saw. I actually thought my finger was broken, not popped.
    Can I get a bread roll and mustard with that hot dog?

Seriously, though - ouch... ! Hope it got better quick and that the ground/tree/etc came off worse

THELAND photographer

i forgot once...

i forgot my gloves and hated my life....i think i have something like 4 or 5 pairs in the car now......excessive but awesome

Ideas Above My Station...
    How is this a thread........?

Wear them if you want, don't if you don't!
    Its All Downhill From Here....!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I crashed in pacifica once while not wearing A glove. Took them off to air out my hands and lost one. at the end of Mile I hit the very last jump that gaps over a little ditch and ended up getting 6 pea sized rocks pulled out of my hand along with 10 stitches to keep it shut. Gloves are good.
    I'd huck that...

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    I wear gloves, they are great for using the terry thumb/finger to wipe sweat out of the eyes. The extra padding helps prevent fatigue too. Plus they are "shocker" gloves, so they are always good for a laugh. Haha.

I typically don't wear a helmet, I have yet to find one that is comfortable with my mohawk. I'll wear one for group rides, or if I'm going to do something crazy (like a day of downhilling). I feel it's my right NOT to wear one (unless required by law), just as it is my right to carry a firearm with me. But that's a discussion for another day...

Rep_1969-I'm going to pretend your picture is fake, because it is way too nasty looking to stomach! What exactly did u do?

Quote Originally Posted by horse of iron
    I crashed in pacifica once while not wearing A glove. Took them off to air out my hands and lost one. at the end of Mile I hit the very last jump that gaps over a little ditch and ended up getting 6 pea sized rocks pulled out of my hand along with 10 stitches to keep it shut. Gloves are good.
    On really hot days during the summer, I will bring a second set of gloves with me if I know I'll be riding more than a few hours. I just tuck them in my Camelbak. It feels good to slip on a dry set mid-ride!
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

SamIAm
    +1 to 2 pairs of gloves. i love throwing on a dri set after i eat/smoke/rest on the big ride or at the liftservice
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseSoda
    I run Oury's and padded gloves... What's this "feel" you speak of?
    exactly.

Ricky DH
    Quote Originally Posted by markw1970
    Can I get a bread roll and mustard with that hot dog?

Seriously, though - ouch... ! Hope it got better quick and that the ground/tree/etc came off worse

Nice!!

Members who have read this thread: 0