What's A Good Helmet-Mounted Light System?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What's A Good Helmet-Mounted Light System?

I tried looking up the Product Reviews for lights, but theres so many and its not identified which ones are helmet-mounted/compatible. And but damn they're expensive. Is $200+ the norm?

Whats a decent, low-budget helmet light? I don't need to light up a stadium and probably wouldn't ride for more than 2 hours at a time.

Hope's new light systems looks really cool, but it looks like a proprietary-stem mount only.

Trail rider and racer
    I am not going to make a suggestion about a particular lighting system, but if you can stretch the budget invest in the future and save yourself hassles by getting a HID system - you will never regret it.

Halogen IMHO is becoming redundant.
    Trev!

Alright, let's ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    I am not going to make a suggestion about a particular lighting system, but if you can stretch the budget invest in the future and save yourself hassles by getting a HID system - you will never regret it.

Halogen IMHO is becoming redundant.
    Trevor! is right. I stretched my budget and bought a Cygolite Z-force NiMH. I have never regretted it. I ride with a lot of people with $200 lights and they can't believe the difference. H.I.D. is definately the way to go no matter what brand you go with. Believe it or not with the right light you can see the trail almost as well as you can in the day.

Aug 2004
    i just got the Topeak Moonshine HID and it works great. It's a real nice product!!!

Carl

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks for the good advice, guys. sorry for my ignorance, but what is an HID system and why is it superior? how much did these systems cost? are they also waterproof for riding in the rain?

i had an old cygolite, like 15 yrs old. it no longer holds a charge but did last for a number of years. i think i paid ~$80 for a dual 10/15 watt system. it was state of the art at the time.

Just passing through....
    Check out the "$200 HID light" thread over on the "Where are the best deals" forum.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=78470&page=3
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

mtbr member

Petzl

I have a 3 bulb Petzl headband lamp $25 I has last me most of my night riding this summer I would guess 1 1/2 2 hr over summer off of 3 aaa batery. the make 4 bulb also. Not bad for around the house I don't know about a 24 hr

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch
    thanks for the good advice, guys. sorry for my ignorance, but what is an HID system and why is it superior? how much did these systems cost? are they also waterproof for riding in the rain?
    - Generally weather proof - But check individual brands and manufacturers specifications.
    - HID stands for High Intensity Discharge
    - Why superior: Different technology, more advanced, brighter, different gas, users higher current I think, whiter light, higher colour temp, stronger beam for same wattage of a Halogen system etc.

See the MTBR hid shoot out - you'll see why they are better.
    Trev!

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by chruby99
    I have a 3 bulb Petzl headband lamp $25 I has last me most of my night riding this summer I would guess 1 1/2 2 hr over summer off of 3 aaa batery. the make 4 bulb also. Not bad for around the house I don't know about a 24 hr
    I also have a Petzl headlamp that I bought for for climbing and search/rescue. Its fine for the uphill ride on my local fireroad, but once I get near 15 mph it is not adequate.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

Members who have read this thread: 0