what are your favorite sunglasses for mtb - past, present or future?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

what are your favorite sunglasses for mtb - past, present or future?

What are your favorite sunglasses for mtb - past, present or future? I have several pairs of Oakley Half Jacket XL 2.0. Good coverage, not too big not too small, athletic design but not too over the top.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    At first I ran cheapo glasses back in the day( early 80's, not much options then) In 1984, I bought some of those Oakley Pilots, then Oakley Razors. In the late 80's, early 90's I switched to those Italian styled Briko's, then on to some various Rudy Project glasses.
    Lately its been either Oakley Jaw Breakers or Jaw Bones.
    EXODUX Jeff

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Lately its been either Oakley Jaw Breakers or Jaw Bones.
    I bought a pair of Jawbones maybe 10yrs ago or so, and so far, they fit my face better than any other glasses have before or since.

Aside from fogging up when I stop in humid southeastern conditions, they're solid. the lens ventilation keeps them from fogging while riding, at least, even in the absolute most fog-prone conditions.

I just HATE Oakley's customer service. Some years ago, I wanted new lenses and fresh rubber bits, and I couldn't get an answer from them whether stuff for the Jaw Breakers would fit my Jawbones, since it appeared they had discontinued the Jawbones by then. So I bought replacement bits from a cheap aftermarket company (Walleva) and have said to hell with Oakley. If I break those frames, it'll be a sad day for me. I won't be replacing them with Oakleys, that's for sure (and yes, I know about the massive glasses conglomerate that owns just about everything on the market).

Snow Dog
    I used to get moderately expensive glasses for riding...and then would lose them elsewhere (the car; leave them someplace etc.)

now I have Home Depot safety glasses in clear and amber for riding...I think a total of $10 for both(?). They work just as well, and now I don't have to worry about losing/breaking a pair of ~ $90-150 pair of glasses

would rather use the money on a chainring or helmet or tires or something else that is less likely to be lost right away
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

jcd's best friend
    I wear a set of Oakley Jawbreakers while on my road bike. I don't like sunglasses when I mountain bike. I'm mostly in the forest anyways. I will probably grab a cheap set of safety glasses from Lowes or Home Depot and put my anti-fog treatment on the lens. I do like goggles more than glasses when I have to choose between the two while out on the trail.

Thanks to Seth's Bike Hacks and Biking with Bobo, I now want a set of Pit Viper sunglasses

Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

Nutrailer
    Used to be Bolle safety glasses but now I need bifocals to read maps or a screen I've found safety bifocals in clear and tinted on Amazon that don't look like I've just been conducting a science experiment. I can't justify spending £100+ on glasses.

what are your favorite sunglasses for mtb - past, present or future?-glasses.jpg
    What a perfect waste of time

Nat
    mtbr member
    Oakley EVZero Path with a rimless design so there's no material to obscure your field of view. Photochromic lens so it's not too dark in the woods:https://www.framesdirect.com/oakley-...oaAjQxEALw_wcB

However, I now prefer goggles as they block wind and dust far better than any glasses.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackWare View Post
    Used to be Bolle safety glasses but now I need bifocals to read maps or a screen I've found safety bifocals in clear and tinted on Amazon that don't look like I've just been conducting a science experiment. I can't justify spending £100+ on glasses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glasses.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	1236807
    I order clear safety glasses too, but they look good. 15-20$ maybe?
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Tifosis... $60 for a pair with three lenses (clear, sun and night/contrast) that I swap depending on the ride. I've actually lost them on the trail a few times only to find them again, with a few scuffs and scrapes (ran over by a bike?) but still working great.

Meatbomb
    I just wear my Ray Bans that I wear all the time. Nothing special just for riding.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Started with the Spy Scoop series, loved the fit and vented so well that fog was never an issue. Then jumped into the Oakley Pilot bandwagon when Spy discontinued them and have been using Oakley ever since but have to admit that have a set of cheap multi lens Optic Nerve and Serfas frames for night riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Oakley Radar EV Path Polarized, for road and MTB

mtbr member
    I’m pretty practical and tend to chose shades that have particular qualities to suit a given activity and I have a generously sized dome, so prefer Costa Blackfins for fishing / water activities for the incredible clarity and polarization, Oakley’s for other active sport-type activities because they grip your head well and tend to be lighter; but for high intensity mtb-like activities there’s really only one option:

what are your favorite sunglasses for mtb - past, present or future?-7cd5c78e-0314-4ee2-b72f-3074b014452c.jpg
    18’ SC Bronson Carbon
    Grip2, Reserve 27 hoops, i9 hubs, Float X2

2018 SC V10.6
    Grip2, We Are One: The Outlier, i9 hubs, DHX2

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The Jawbones are still available, they are now called Racing Jackets.
    I too have bought Walleva lenses, they work great and are 1/4 the cost of Oakley replacement lenses.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member

what are your favorite sunglasses for mtb - past, present or future?

I have oakley jaw breakers and the new flight jackets.

I like the jawbreakers better for looks, less fogging. And lens swapping is better. The flight jackets are the white with pink lens and they are kind of dorky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    My daily sunglasses are Oakley GasCans but I wear my Wiley X glasses when riding. The Wiley X have an amber lens that really "pop" the view in the woods.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I wear these because i got them for free Giant (something or other?? don't remember model)

what are your favorite sunglasses for mtb - past, present or future?-glasses.jpg

they are fine... and they were free..so that is fine..

mtbr member
    For those of you requiring prescription glasses... what do you wear on the trail?

Your normal daily prescription glasses?

Ride specific prescriptions glasses?

Or do you ride blurry and blind without your glasses?

I wear my daily glasses... high impact, poly, anti this and that, yada yada.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    For those of you requiring prescription glasses... what do you wear on the trail?

luckily (?) my prescription is for close up, so on the trail I am good...so far. I am sure that as I get older...and my "diabets" (as the kids call it) does it's thing, that might change
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

Interplanetary Poultry
    I recently picked up a pair of 100% Glendales for riding. I was wearing cheap Performance house brand glasses but when I got up to speed the air around the glasses would dry my eyes out. The Glendales offer a nice goggle like coverage while still having plenty of airflow.
    I also wear Smith Chromapop goggles depending on trails or riding conditions. I quite like the Chromapop lenses, too bad I can't cram one into the Glendales.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    luckily (?) my prescription is for close up, so on the trail I am good...so far. I am sure that as I get older...and my "diabets" (as the kids call it) does it's thing, that might change
    Eh, I've had diabetes for 20+ years (that I know of). AND I'm getting old (57 now). My eyeglass prescription (for seeing further out) hasn't changed in at least 30 years.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

GASing
    I have been using Oakley Flak Jackets for about 5 years, with persimmon and G30 lenses. My issue is that I have sensitive eyes that are prone to be dry, and too much wind gets me to the point where things get blurry - not a good thing on a fast techy downhill.

I do like the Oakley lenses a lot, and had wanted to try out the Prizm Trail lens. After trying a bunch of styles, I settled on the Racing Jacket (Formerly Jawbone). It's a little smaller than the shield style, and nestles into the eye sockets rather than relying on sheer size. So far so good. I don't like the vented lenses because they let too much air in, so may try to find a non-vented set of trail lenses, maybe a custom order. I have found other non-vented lenses colors, iike VR28, which I love for fright sun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    100% Speedcrafts with the HiPER lenses. I have always just rode in whatever is cheapest, usually clear or tinted safety glasses from Home Depot, after finally spending the money on these I cannot imagine riding without them they are awesome.

mtbr member

I'm completely blind without prescription glasses and I hate contacts.

I've been wearing my everyday glasses (ray bans) for years but I've finally decided to buy prescription glasses just for riding, I went with Oakley's, not sure of the model. My everyday did OK but they tended to want to slip off my face when I get sweaty and i've always thought I looked a bit odd with those glasses and a helmet. I've been avoiding it due to the cost but I went ahead and ordered a new pair when I updated my prescription. I'm excited to finally not have my ray bans slipping off my face but we'll see how it goes.

I've also never been the person to wear sunglasses, for some reason having my view be a little bit darker was always super odd for me, I always felt my vision was obstructed if I wore sunglasses. But now that I think of it I've never had proper prescription sunglasses..

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I wear my daily prescription Oakley glasses with transition lenses. They do fog up at times, but I love having the transition lenses out on the trail.

Rides all the bikes!
    I normally don't like buying much from Amazon, preferring to go retail when I can. But I had a gift card, so I tried these out for $22:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My new favorites. Frames and lenses are soft and flexible. Transition is just dark enough to do the job (my eyes are pretty light sensitive), but being transition I can wear them in dark canopy are at night and not have a problem. I'll buy a few pairs the next time I get a gift card.

Barely in control
    Any type of "frameless" design where the top of the glasses won't touch my eyebrows. That allows sweat to roll to the side and off instead of touching the glasses and running down the inside of the lens.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I just got the Prescription Oakley Field Jackets Trail Prisms. I like them because the lenses are huge and they have a lever that lifts them about 7-10mm off your face for when you are climbing. I've only had two good rides with them. They fog a little when I stop not too badly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I normally don't like buying much from Amazon, preferring to go retail when I can. But I had a gift card, so I tried these out for $22:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My new favorites. Frames and lenses are soft and flexible. Transition is just dark enough to do the job (my eyes are pretty light sensitive), but being transition I can wear them in dark canopy are at night and not have a problem. I'll buy a few pairs the next time I get a gift card.
    Cool but they are not polarized

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2018

I wear contacts when I ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Contact lenses and Pit Vipers So comfortable I forget I'm wearing them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I wear cheap sunglasses ZZ Top style. I wear polarized ones.

Had Lasik surgery about 8 years ago, money well spent.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by toadmeister View Post
    Had Lasik surgery about 8 years ago, money well spent.
    A big Roger That! I had mine 19 yrs ago and it's some of the best money I've ever spent.

I've had several different styles from Oakley. Tried Bolle's too for a while. Never really loved either one. About 20 yrs ago I bought a pair of Smith's and have been sold on them ever since. I like the fit, style, quality, interchangeable lens options, and their customer service is out-freaking-standing: A couple years ago I returned a pair that I'd bought about 15 years previously because the temple broke just behind the hinge. I got a phone call saying they apologize but don't make that model any more and which current model would I like in replacement? Less than a week later I received a brand new pair similar to what I'd bought 15 years previous.

Quality and service like that keeps me being a Smith fan for a long long time.
    Devinci Marshall Carbon 27.5+

Colorado Springs, CO

dirtbag
    Past - a pair of Smiths that had interchangeable lenses - dark, clear and yellow. Rode with those since the late 90s (?) til I discovered the Oakley M2s. Those were so light and provided great coverage and venting because of it's minimalist design. Then moved onto Jawbones for riding and Split Jackets for everyday wear and the occasional biking use when I forgot the Split Jackets. Having the option of getting cheaper replacement lenses from either Revant or Walleva as lenses got scratched or damaged is a plus for those sunglasses.

Currently, wearing Flak 2.0 XLs with the Prism Trail lenses. They're light like the M2s so you really don't notice them and the earsocks and the nose piece are grippy rubber pieces the hold them in place even in hot humid sweaty riding.
    Amolan

Short-Change-Hero
    Still trying to find that perfect one. Currently switch between my RayBan Wayfarers and a pair of old Nikes. Have to wear prescription lenses as most optometrists tell me my prescription is really on the cusp of not needing enough work to necessitate Lasik/PRK or contacts but enough to necessitate wearing prescription lenses 80-85% of the time (I can get away with not wearing them as long as I am not trying to really "see" distant objects clearly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Adidas Evil Eye Pro L.

Used a pair for 3+ years. I can find no faults! Super well fitting (prevent dust and dirt getting in), great ventilation, awesome lenses.

https://www.otticanet.com/de/sonnenb...CH&landing_g=1

I adore these.
    2019 Cube Reaction Race 29
    2018 YT Capra AL
    2014 Scott Aspect 740

mtbr member
    I've had and lost two pairs of Oakley Flak or halfjackets...can't remember which. I loved the lenses but hated the frames. They were comfy but those stupid ass little nose piece nubs would always fall off. Now I have a couple pairs of polarized fishing glasses from Walmart that were like $14 each. Look decent and the lenses are really good. I want to get a pair with interchangeable or photo-chromatic lens though. I can get Tifosi for 50% off retail so I might try a pair of those.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Tifosi Veloce readers - 1.5x bi-focal.
    Tifosi Veloce fototek light night readers - 1.75x bi-focal.

Fog a little at low speed, but clear quickly.
    Nice to be able to read the watch/GPS while riding

방랑외국인
    https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...-for-cyclists/

These all look great, but I'm most curious about the Tifosi Swank SL for $25, as I tend to crash and break my sunnies often.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5 View Post
    https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...-for-cyclists/

These all look great, but I'm most curious about the Tifosi Swank SL for $25, as I tend to crash and break my sunnies often.
    If they came in a bi-focal version, they'd be sweet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    ... I have Home Depot safety glasses in clear and amber for riding...I think a total of $10 for both(?). They work just as well, and now I don't have to worry about losing/breaking a pair of ~ $90-150 pair of glasses

would rather use the money on a chainring or helmet or tires or something else that is less likely to be lost right away
    This!
    I like the 3M ones. Get the 5 pack. When they get scratched or destroyed, get a fresh pair out of the pack. 5 pack lasts me about a year and a half.
    Of course these don't help if you need Rx lenses though.

mtbr member
    I wear Bi-focal safety glasses, clear and brown tint from Safety Glasses USA.
    https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bf92.html
    Cheap, comfortable and great lenses, what more could you ask for?
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I have a narrow face so finding sunglasses that fit and stay put is often a challenge. I'm liking my Native Hardtop Ultras with interchangeable lenses alot but the Native Throttle stays put a bit better on my narrow head.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

L1MEY
    I have a really small head and was using Oakley Quarter Jackets for a few years until I lost them on a camping trip. I replaced them with some Bolle kids glasses that had too much frame in my field of vision and eventually broke (I think their kids glasses aren't manufactured to the same standard as the adult ones). My latest glasses are Smith Pivlock Arena which look a little bit large on my face but actually fit really well and provide good coverage. They came with a lighter lens for low light conditions as well. I prefer these to the Quarter Jackets for the increased coverage and lack of frame.
    Ride like a girl!