What would you get if in my shoes- Mtbr.com
    Bike Geek
    Mar 2005

What would you get if in my shoes

Ok here is the situation. I am a sport/cat 2 racer. I have a Superfly 100 that I got 4 rides out of before the frame cracked. This is getting warranted. I have a race in 4 weeks that I am uncertain that I will be able to race unless I purchase a back up bike. 3 weeks till the new rear triangle is in. Wife is against this so cost is an issue here. I am looking for a hardtail 29er back up bike. What would you guys recommend? I love the idea of a Salsa Mamasita or possibly the GT Zasker 29er. Thanks.......

mtbr member
    I don't think I should need to mention it, but just in case ..... you'd be best served starting in the classified and buy/sell stuff.

Next would be a password for your computer that you use to arrange the transactionS.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

mtbr member
    what Size????

Currently in Exile
    Surly Karate Monkey. You won't have to worry about cracking that frame and can be purchased as a complete bike (SS) for around $1100. You can get the Trae & fork for under $500.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Eh, if you like G2 I would have opted for one of their hardtails, if you can find one that is. If it's strictly a backup, an X-Caliber would be sufficient.

Get out of town!
    Salsa and GT, I don't think there is a wrong decision to be made there. Both are bikes I would love to have in my garage.

I would get an El Mar if it is just for one race and then have two bikes that are not so much apples and apples.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I am exchanging my medium Fuji Tahoe today for a small Zaskar Pro 29r. I fell in lust with the Zaskar. I am 5' 7 and the Fuji was just too large for me, also the Reba Fork lockout is not working now and it knocks like it is hydro locking. I have only had it for 3 weeks but I am able to replace it at PB.

Bike Geek
    Mar 2005
    Large 19"ish. I am also giving some thought to an Orbea Lanza as well. We have a couple at the shop.

mtbr member
    odor eaters.

Bike Geek
    Mar 2005
    Ignoring the last post..... I picked up a Fisher X-caliber for a back up. I am used to the G2 geometry since I used to ride a Superfly hardtail. It just felt right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just tell her you need a singlespeed. Great for training, and less parts to break. Something made from steel would work well... niner, salsa, vassago, surly, etc

Sucks about the frame. Not sure what's up with GF, seems like they could up their testing just a bit... waiting for replacement frames/parts during race season isn't cool.

mtbr member
    Trek or Orbea....

Bike Geek
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21
    Just tell her you need a singlespeed. Great for training, and less parts to break. Something made from steel would work well... niner, salsa, vassago, surly, etc

Sucks about the frame. Not sure what's up with GF, seems like they could up their testing just a bit... waiting for replacement frames/parts during race season isn't cool.

I am hooked up there I have a steel GT single speed. It has baby wheels though. I love riding it but racing against gears is no fun

Members who have read this thread: 0