What type of shoes for platform pedals?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

What type of shoes for platform pedals?

I normaly wear these every day for walking/living etc., and they are very comfortable :

But when riding with my new platform pedals I can feel every spike and uneven spot in the pedal, these shoes have a thin sole and as I said they are just awesome to wear and walk/run in but my feet started to hurt a bit after riding for a bit.

Am I just being a wuss? Would this uncomfortable feeling go away? I had to pull out my old nike sneakers out from the closet cause they apparently have some plastic in the sole or something, really rigid sole... THey work fine but make my feet sweat and are old.

Should I invest in new riding sneakers with more breathability( New word ), or should I suck it up and get used to the new pedals?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Skateboard style shoes are good for platforms or look up Five Ten shoes they make some nice shoes for platform pedals. I am using an old pair of New Balance shoes with a thicker sole on them and they stick to my Wellgo MG-1 pedals nicely.

Pretty in Pink
    I rode with Pumas on flats for years but they were reinforced sole, I don't recall which model but they were a female shoe, (sorry bout that last bit) Puma makes some good soft sole shoes for casual, but some awesome hard sole shoes as well. Most people here swear by skate shoes, personally I don't like how they breathe. Look around, make sure the sole is hard and flat, other than that it is personal preference.
    "There are two ways of spreading light ...
    To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
    ~ Edith Wharton ~

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    try vans or nike 6.0's if you dont wanna drop some dough on 5.10's
    to me 6.0's are as good for the purpose but that's just me
    Mamma speed I'm back!!!

E30 Rollin'
    When I rode platforms I always wore 6" Timberland work boots..

But yeah some skateboard shoes with a harder sole will probably be the best.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I wear either hiking boots which grip nicely or Vans. Pedals I'm running are stock to the bike & have all the jagged teeth. I'm going to upgrade to better platforms in a couple of months. Waffle-soled Vans seem like they'd be good. The 5.10's are nice but I don't want to spend $80 when Vans are half that price & I can get'em locally.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    the Vans-style shows really work well. I can't seem to recall the exact name right now but I know Chrome made a shoe perfect for the role.

Found it.. The Chrome Milo, what a comfortable yet supportive shoe. I've had a pair for 2 years now, love em:

http://www.mountainbiketales.com/reviews/chromemilo.htm
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I wear my trail running shoes with wellgo platforms, and don't really have any issues. They have a pretty stiff sole, aggressive treads, and are very breathable

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I wear a New Balance hiking sneaker, They have a semi rigid bottom, the stick to the pedals well, and do not bounce off like athletic sneakers do.

Members who have read this thread: 0