What type of helmet do you use?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

What type of helmet do you use?

I've been thinking of upgrading from my cross country style helmet to a full face, or maybe bucket style for more protection, since I have been riding more all mountain/free ride style trails. I figured I should see what other women are using, and whether it is worth the money to buy a full face. Also if you are using a full face, do you have any suggestions for brands/models?
    Thanks ladies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sades
    I've been thinking of upgrading from my cross country style helmet to a full face, or maybe bucket style for more protection, since I have been riding more all mountain/free ride style trails. I figured I should see what other women are using, and whether it is worth the money to buy a full face. Also if you are using a full face, do you have any suggestions for brands/models?
    Thanks ladies
    I have a whole collection of helmets. I have regular DH full face helmets, DOT approved moto full face helmets, XC helmets, a road helmet. I used to have a skate style/bucket helmet but sold it. Looking at the protection, I wasn't really getting any more coverage than with my Fox Flux XC helmet (lots of newer XC helmets come down farther in the back than they used to), and was only tempted to wear the skate helmet at the dirt jumps. And I should really be wearing my full face at the dirt jumps so I just got rid of the skate helmet.

Unless you're only shuttling or doing lift served riding (or live somewhere where it never gets hot, I guess) - I can't see ONLY having a full face. Some have decent venting, but they are still way hotter than an XC helmet. You could strap it to your pack on the climb, but if you're doing technical/exposed climbing... it's probably better to still be wearing a helmet.

Basically I decide based on the trail - speed, hazards, weather, and sometimes just how I'm feeling. Pretty much the same thing as whether or not to wear armor. I usually race DH in my Fox V2 moto helmet, and use my DH helmet (more vents/smaller) for shuttled riding. But I don't have any hard and fast rules regarding where I wear what...

Regarding fit - you just have to try them on. Different brands are shaped slightly differently. Make sure it's snug enough to not shift around, but not giving you an insta-headache.

Freeriding Feline
    Giro Remedy is my personal choice for DH.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I live in Bellingham, WA so it doesn't get too hot here. I was thinking I could always ride up with the full face on my pack and then throw it on at the top. I never really thought I needed a full face in the past, but I think it would be nice to save my face in a crash, and now that I'm riding a little steeper trails, it feels like I could use more protection. I would still keep my cross country helmet for when I do that type of riding.

mtbr member
    hi sades-I use my Xen helmet 90% of the time, but I have the Giro remedy CF and had a Bell bellistic (lost it tho). The Giro is bigger (rounder) but has better cheek/chin coverage and washable inside pads. The bell had a narrower profile was a tad lighter, so I'd choose that one to strap on my pack when I have pedaling to do. I got mine online at Performance.

mtbr member
    Depends on your comfort level. If you are doing bigger stuff, pushing your limits and starting to ride fast downhill a full faced helmet is worth the money no questions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I use my Fox Flux for all XC and the Giro Remedy for DH and shuttling.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I used a Giro Remedy for DH. It wasn't too much $$ and worked well. Still have it and would be using it if I ever did DH

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Sounds like I should probably visit the local shop and try on a few. My hubbies had a few crashes recently too, so we might need to pick him up a full face as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0