• 01-13-2005
    tl1
    What was the thinking behind helmet covers?
    I've wondered this many times recently looking at the old magazine articles. I didn't get helmet covers back then and still don't get them today but have always been to afraid to ask the people wearing them about them because I may have started snickering involuntarily. I have a blaze orange one that I wear to color my helmet bright orange in hunting season but beyond that I see no reason for them except to impede cooling.
  • 01-13-2005
    mwr
    Some helmets like the Giro Prolight were just solid white styrofoam underneath the cover.
  • 01-13-2005
    laffeaux
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mwr
    Some helmets like the Giro Prolight were just solid white styrofoam underneath the cover.

Yep in the old days they were used to give style and a small amount of protection to an otherwise boring product.

Some people still use them today as a bit of wind protection. When it's really cold outside they can be used to help your head from freezing. I see roadies using them this time of year.
  • 01-13-2005
    vdubbusrider
    come on, don't we all just want slide on a head panty once in a while?
  • 01-13-2005
    RobynC
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tl1
    I've wondered this many times recently looking at the old magazine articles. I didn't get helmet covers back then and still don't get them today but have always been to afraid to ask the people wearing them about them because I may have started snickering involuntarily. I have a blaze orange one that I wear to color my helmet bright orange in hunting season but beyond that I see no reason for them except to impede cooling.

Accessorize! It's the MTB lifestyle! :cool: You could get the red one, you could get the blue one. You could even get the zebra-striped one. Change styles at your whim! If one got muddy, you could swap it for another color while the dirty one was in the wash. No downtime.
  • 01-13-2005
    Fillet-brazed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tl1

The real reason: It somewhat prevented the styrofoam from sticking to pavement on impact, lessening neck injuries. So I was told...
  • 01-13-2005
    First Flight
    We've got one wiht pig ears!!
    They were actually designed to hold the pieces of the helmet together after impact. The original helmets used the heavy separate shell to hold the helmet together but when they went "shell-less" they needed the covers. The helmet was designed to crack under impact forces and the cover would keep the pieces from flying apart. The later micro-shells did away with the need for the cover excpet to block the wind or make a fashion statement!
  • 01-13-2005
    ssmike
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    The real reason: It somewhat prevented the styrofoam from sticking to pavement on impact, lessening neck injuries. So I was told...

One of the worries back then was that the lycra would stick to the pavement. That's when the thin micro shells started showing up. I think the main reason was to keep the foam together in case of an impact type hit.

One more use: emergency TP ;) saved me ... once.
  • 01-13-2005
    Fillet-brazed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ssmike

One more use: emergency TP ;) saved me ... once.

Very nice!! :)
  • 01-13-2005
    Cycleshark
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by laffeaux
    Yep in the old days they were used to give style.

eric......i could not agree more....here is proof....
  • 01-13-2005
    tl1
    Wow, thanks!
    So their uses were multiple to say the least. Now we still really have them but in the form of the thin sheets of plastic covering the styrofoam that are nowhere near as versatile (and certainly not as toilet paper!). 8^) I never wore a helmet until sometime around 1993 or 94 so when I bought a new Bell back then it had a hard cover and I guess I pretty much missed the soft cover era.
  • 01-14-2005
    donk
    I remembr going to a race in about 92 or 93 in Pontiac Michigan and each category had to wear a different colour helmet cover. I think I still have it someplace in my souvenir chest from races. I'll snap a pic if I find it.
  • 01-14-2005
    ssmike
    Quote:

Originally Posted by donk
    I remembr going to a race in about 92 or 93 in Pontiac Michigan and each category had to wear a different colour helmet cover. I think I still have it someplace in my souvenir chest from races. I'll snap a pic if I find it.

Good point. They also make for easy identificaiton in Japanese Keirin racing. http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/?i...eirinPP/keirin
  • 01-14-2005
    mwr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ssmike
    Good point. They also make for easy identificaiton in Japanese Keirin racing.

Mmm well in this case I think you could tell them apart no matter what the helmets looked like.
  • 01-14-2005
    tl1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by donk

Pontiac Lake Recreation Area near Pontiac was one of my first tastes of real mountain biking on actual challenging rough and rocky trails. At the time Pontiac Lk. had real fast (30-35 mph) for lower Michigan downhills on the rocky glacial moraine trails and it was the stimulus to buy that first Bell helmet after I took a good spill there! The fast fall-line DHs have since been tamed a bit due to erosion concerns but it's still an excellent trail. It's also my home trail, one that I don't have to drive to get to. (8^)
  • 01-15-2005
    GlazedHam
    resin clog lungs
    All I know is the stupid things used to get ripped off my helmet by every low-hanging limb. I believe the covers were created by stoners to create more chances to catch up with the group. You have to admit that it was pretty f___'n funny to ride through a heavily wooded area and see dozens of those things hanging from branches.