what shoes are you riding with right now?- Mtbr.com
    I am lost, I'm no guide

what shoes are you riding with right now?

It's time that I picked up a new pair. My old cannondale's are worn and have a nice hole in the canvas. Are the sidi's worth the $200 or so? I like the look of some of the Shimano's and 661's, but am not sure how they rate on the comfort scale. Curious to see any responses, positive or negative, about your dogs...

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gobike
    It's time that I picked up a new pair. My old cannondale's are worn and have a nice hole in the canvas. Are the sidi's worth the $200 or so? I like the look of some of the Shimano's and 661's, but am not sure how they rate on the comfort scale. Curious to see any responses, positive or negative, about your dogs...
    I'm currently using Specialized Body Geometry and Shimano SH-M221 with the carbon sole. I didn't much like the varus wedge in the Specialized, but other than that they're okay. I like the stiffness of the Shimanos but am not a huge fan of ratchet buckle systems. I also have a pair of Sidi Dominator II Megas that I never liked all that much due to the narrow and slippery outsole.

The funny thing about shoe comfort is that what feels great on one guy might feel sadistic on another.

mtbr member
    Pearl Izumi Vapor carbon soles
    both road and mountain
    stiff, roomy toe box, comfy
    I rode SIDIs for years...

BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sidis

Sidis dom. 4 . Traction sucks, buckle is hard to open sometimes but they feel like slippers. 200 bucks sounds like a lot but my sidis have lasted 3 years now when all my other shoes did not last a season. So for me in the long run they are cheeper. I would love the new dragons but 280 is pushing the limits of sanity
    BSG

dispensing truthiness

I like...

I like the Lake MX 220. My last pair only cost ~ $75 @ the LBS.

But, as mentioned above, shoes are very much a personal thing in terms of fit.

jl
    climb
    Diadora Gekos and fuhgitboutit

Their inexpensive and well built.
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

Jan 2004

I like my Shimanos

I have two pair of Shimanos- the older M220 and the new M221. The M220s lasted for almost 2.5 years of hard racing (the only thing that killed them was an adventure race from hell). The traction wasn't to hot, most racing shoes don't have much, until I put the toe spikes in and glued some old tire tred to the bottom. They're stiff, light, semi-comfy (I have wide feet and this is rather low on my list), and relativly cheap.

On the other hand, my dad (who doesn't race) swears by his Sidi's- road and mountain. To each his own, buy whatever fits you.

XCdude

Mine are some shimano, that I bought in 2000

can remember the mode, they flex a little. But the things wont fall apart, I want to try some sidis, but I wont throw a good pair away just because I might stay with shimano because everyone I know with shimano tell you that the shoes last forever.
    Short bucket list.
    Cape Epic
    Pioneer Epic
    Swiss Epic

LA CHÈVRE

Specialized Pro Mountain

I have two pair of Specialized Pro Mountain. My 2002 are still going strong. I just bought the 2004 model that adds the fancy buckle to use with my Crank Brothers pedals, the old pair is for my SPD pedals. It fits my feet perfectly but I must say, I have very narrow feet.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Rollin' a fatty
    Diadora Habanero & Sidi Action SRS

mtbr member
    I've got some Answers from 1996 that finally cracked.A pair of Shimanos,one below the M220 and just a couple of days ago I got the Sidi Dragons.Hopefully they last.

simply me
    I have been using sidi dom4 mega for the last year, I find the buckle a pain in the ass, it gets things caught in it and won't release, otherwise not bad.

Prior to that I used the specialized team shoes, both shoes their soles cracked in half within a year.

Feb 2004

Sidi's all the way.

I had a pairof Nike Carin (?sp), which I hated. Most comfortable shoe while riding, but the most uncomfortable shoe for walking. Hike-a-bike was very painful. I bought a pair of Sidi road shoes and fell in love with the fit. So I bought a pair od Sidi Dragon SRS a couple of weeks ago. Best shoe I have ever used. $279 and well worth it.

Uhhhhh...
    Pearl Izumi Vagabond is what i wear. Stiff sole and easy to hike in plus the roomy toe box and awesome price.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Rolling
    These are my favs right now. Best Traction off the bike, cheap ($35 when i got em). they work. I have some Sidi Dominators ($175) and all I use them for is commuting. I would race in them since they are so stiff but for fun technical riding, I hate em--wait come to think of it, the last time I raced, I used these shoes!

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Diarora Cobras I got for about $55 at Nashbar last fall. Triple velcro does a nice job holding on, stiff soles, comfy on da feet, seem pretty durable. Nashbar tends to have really good shoe prices. PricePoint has good pedal/shoe combo deals if you need both.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred