What shoes to you recommend for egg-beaters ?- Mtbr.com
    Cassoulet forever !

What shoes to you recommend for egg-beaters ?

I have some sidi srs shoes on my egg tri ti.

I setup the cleat all the way towards front on the shoes.

Pedaling, i miss rigidity side to side. It looks like the shape of the sole is not thick enought to put pressure on the pedal around the cleat and that i push with the cleat. so it's not that stable.

Wich shoe do you recommend for egg beaters ?

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR
    I have some sidi srs shoes on my egg tri ti.

I setup the cleat all the way towards front on the shoes.

Pedaling, i miss rigidity side to side. It looks like the shape of the sole is not thick enought to put pressure on the pedal around the cleat and that i push with the cleat. so it's not that stable.

Wich shoe do you recommend for egg beaters ?
    I am surprised to read the above. I wear SIDIs and find them to be really rigid indeed, but I guess this can come down to personal preference.

Can I suggest trying new cleats? I put on a new pair and found the performance of the pedal and shoes really to have improved.

I don't know if I am on the right track with the above suggestion. I must say if it wasn't for the weight savings I would probably go back to Shimano M959s, they just work so well and always feel secure....

Trevor!

Dec 2003
    I don't know what you should get, but I know to stay away from specialized. They're the most comfortable shoes ever, but the pedals wore holes in the bottoms! After they just wear down a little bit, it creates some play between the cleat an the pedal, so your feet are able to move around while you're still clipped in. Man I hated those pedals... Sorry for the rant, but don't go with Specialized unless you can get some sort of plate to put between the sole of the shoe and the cleat.

mtbr member
    i agree, the sid/eggs combo dont offer the stiffness that my previous sid/747 combo had. i would suggest the gaerne king or rey shoes, stiffer than sid, as durable or even more and super comfy. the way to go with egg beaters.

by the way, stay away from carbon sole shoes, they dont work fine with eggs.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    by the way, stay away from carbon sole shoes, they dont work fine with eggs.[/QUOTE]

I've been using the SH-M 221 Carbon sole Shimanos for more than a year on eggy's and have had ZERO issues with play or wear. I also use Sidi Dominators too, same deal - no problems. I put the cleat in the Forward set of holes then slide the plate all the way back to the heel so the cleat winds up pretty a little behind the middle of the channel...works for me.

Cassoulet forever !
    Yep, may be my problem is that my cleat is all the way forward ?
    The thickness of the sole is less important forward than in the middle position...

But even when my sole is new, i think the sidis replaceable parts of the sole that are in contact with the egg beaters (on both side ot the cleat) are not stiff enought for a good power transfer.