• 04-10-2007
    Quarashi
    What shoes for platform pedals if 5.10 is not available?
    I don't think there is a 5.10 dealer here in the Philippines and skate shoes are hard to find, plus the don't really appeal to me. 661's can be had easily but I've heard they have durability issues. I was thinking about the Specialized Buzzsaw's, I'm wondering if they will stick well if the spd hole is covered. I'll be using them for aggressive trail/freeride. Thanks!
  • 04-10-2007
    fiddy_ryder
    why not have someone here in the US order and send em to you? cant find regular old high top vans there? go hit mega mall or makati...
  • 04-10-2007
    fred.r
    661 just re-did or released a new shoe fwiw. The Dually did have issues, but the new ones may be different. Who knows, but worth a shot.
  • 04-10-2007
    tacubaya
    FInd some Puma Fuego, they stick like glue but offer no foot protection. I also wear some Adidas skate-type and they also stick pretty awesome.
  • 04-10-2007
    mtbgiovanny
    Vans :thumbsup:
  • 04-10-2007
    Quarashi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddy_ryder
    why not have someone here in the US order and send em to you? cant find regular old high top vans there? go hit mega mall or makati...

My Toes are a bit on the wide side so I would really like to try the shoe before I buy it.
    I just can't imagine wearing what Vans has to offer on trail rides, it just doesn't look right. Protection and ventilation seems minimal, just the other day I realized how important protection in shoes are when my SPD shoes got pummeled.
    But I'm not familiar with skate shoes and I have no idea where in the malls I would find these.

Is the new 661 model the Descend Taki?
    Looks promising, maybe I'll give that a try.
  • 04-11-2007
    rpet
    vans with the old school Off The Wall waffle sole. The natural rubber seems grippier than black, white or other colored rubber.

I like the Rowley Classics specifically.

-rob
  • 04-11-2007
    fred.r
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quarashi
    Is the new 661 model the Descend Taki?
    Looks promising, maybe I'll give that a try.

Yep, those are the one's I was talking about.
  • 04-11-2007
    Kevin G
    I love my Adidas Plush...

• 04-11-2007
    Quarashi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin G
    I love my Adidas Plush...

Aren't those SPD shoes?

I'll try and look around the malls for some Vans. The thing that worries me the most is that I'm not buying it from bikers and they would have no idea what I want. I'm also worried about the ventilation.
  • 04-11-2007
    skatetokil
    i have a set of 4 year old airwalks that have better toe protection than any mtb shoe i've seen. they're on the verge of death but I cant find anything worthy to replace them.
  • 04-11-2007
    suicidebomber
    I'll stick to my Vans.

Or try the Shimano shoe for DH.. I can't remember the name, sorry.

A lot of LBS in the Philippines also carry that, with the 661s.
  • 04-11-2007
    BikeSATORI
    Vans just hit with a new "mtb" specific shoe.... check decline (I think it was...).

rpet knows what's up with the waffle sole.
  • 04-12-2007
    Quarashi
    I guess my best bet would be to find some platforms first, I'm thinking about Lo Pro Mags and just tour around the manila bike shops to see what fits and sticks best! :thumbsup:
  • 04-12-2007
    Graydog
    Vans Waffle Sole.
  • 04-12-2007
    Kevin G
    You can use for clipless, but I use 'em with my 5050XXs and they work great.

Quote:

Aren't those SPD shoes?

• 04-12-2007
    jimi1114
    Why not Pricepoint.com...
    They have the Five Ten High Impact on sale, and carry the standard version as well and ship internationally.

Check it out Five Ten high Impact
  • 04-12-2007
    Quarashi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jimi1114
    They have the Five Ten High Impact on sale, and carry the standard version as well and ship internationally.

Check it out Five Ten high Impact

I don't want to risk buying shoes without trying them on. My feet do have a tenancy to hate some kinds of shoes.
  • 04-13-2007
    Quarashi
    Is it worth converting to platform pedals if....
    -I don't have 5.10's
    -I'm pretty good at using SPD pedals (bailing out, finding them again, etc)
    -Clipless pedals have not been the cause of a major crash for me yet

The reason I wanted platforms is because of freedom to bail on huge stuff or just practice manualing on the road home or just stuff like that. But everybody swears that platforms aren't really worth it without 5.10's. Is it worth it? Or should I just stick with clipless until i can get a hold of some 5.10's?
  • 04-13-2007
    Ithnu
    Vans.
  • 04-14-2007
    BikeSATORI
    Quote:

-I don't have 5.10's
    -I'm pretty good at using SPD pedals (bailing out, finding them again, etc)
    -Clipless pedals have not been the cause of a major crash for me yet

The reason I wanted platforms is because of freedom to bail on huge stuff or just practice manualing on the road home or just stuff like that. But everybody swears that platforms aren't really worth it without 5.10's. Is it worth it? Or should I just stick with clipless until i can get a hold of some 5.10's?

don't overthink it like that and get yourself paranoid... I've NEVER ridden 510s, only used them as rock climbing shoes, and I've ridden platforms most all my life (although riding spd's and clipless quite often as well). Never desired a grippier shoe or these 510's or 661's.... although, I have wished for some more ankle protection at times...
    Have you ever seen a bmx rider wearing this "famed" 510 shoe??? probably not. Not required by any means... I honestly would never think of buying a pair.
    If somebody is telling you that going to platforms isn't worth it if you don't have these renowned shoes, you are persuaded too easily.
    Just don't get yourself all worked up over them, it's a shoe, it's a company, it's a product... you're just riding a bike.
    If you are that worried about your feet being attached to your bike, you really need to work on your form and ability before getting something to supposedly take care of that for you IMO.
    I honestly find some platforms on the market today to have almost too much grip, with pins that are too long, can't readjust your feet as easily.
    so just want to sum up that this is a myth if you believe that you need this product to ride your bike correctly, so don't worry about it so much.... Good luck!
  • 04-14-2007
    skiz
    dude.... VANS, nuff said.... the old skool half cabs are great.... anything with a sole without lugs on the bottom.... I've rode in just about every kind of skate shoe, almost all are great.... you can really feel the bike human connection through a pair of vans though.
  • 04-14-2007
    dustyrider
    Don't forget!
    No matter what you pay for the shoe...
    The pins in your pedals are going to tear them up BIG time.

With this in mind I looked for a flat rubber surface that wasn't too soft and was under $30.

Oh yeah I haven't got Style, so that part was easy.
    As far as venting is concerned my feet sweat in sandals in the snowy winter.
    And no matter what you wear on your feet they are going to get squished and scraped..