what shoes with platform pedals???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

what shoes with platform pedals???

Ive been looking at 5.10 but dont really want to spend $100+ when I can get a pair of DCs for $50-$60, that to me look like they would serve the same purpose. Is there any advantage to mtb specific shoes? Im rocking Forte Converts platforms that give pretty good grip on the Nikes Im wearing but I want something with a flat bottom. All help is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I have two pair of FiveTen's, and together they cost less than $100. Cant beat the Stealth rubber! Super grippy and comfortable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ithrowoften View Post
    I have two pair of FiveTen's, and together they cost less than $100. Cant beat the Stealth rubber! Super grippy and comfortable.
    Where are you getting them for that price?

Jon
    Feb 2014
    A good pair of Vans is all you need, been using them since the eighties. I have tried every brand of shoe and a pair of sticky waffle soles can't be beat for grip or feel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Amazon. Snagged a pair of Scofflaw's for $50 and those are what I ride with now; and waiting on some Dirtbags to come in and they were $40.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RC22 View Post
    Ive been looking at 5.10 but dont really want to spend $100+ when I can get a pair of DCs for $50-$60, that to me look like they would serve the same purpose. Is there any advantage to mtb specific shoes? Im rocking Forte Converts platforms that give pretty good grip on the Nikes Im wearing but I want something with a flat bottom. All help is appreciated.
    I am running the Forte Convert pedals and have found the 5.10s really can't be beat for grip. I have tried a few other flats/skate shoes with various soles and all worked OK, but the 5.10s really take the grip to another level. I lucked out and got mine (impacts) at 75% off at a going out of business sale. You might pick up a pair of Vans or cheap flats from Target for now and keep an eye out for sales. They do come up fairly often.
    It's just a flesh wound!

mtbr member
    I know this thread is a few months old but do shoes like the Pearl Izumi X-Projects work well on platform-style clipless pedals like the Mallets? Do the larger tread blocks on those kinds of shoes interfere with clipping in conjunction with the platform surfaces surrounding the clip?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I use 510 freeriders. They are durable, a little slippery on my local sandy terrain however. The grip is excellent but the thing that sets it apart from my vans is the stiffness of the sole.

This is the most important part for me. The way the pedal feels is much better, more secure and feels like more of the power is transferred.