what shoes and pedals?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

what shoes and pedals?

Should I go clipless or stay with platforms and upgrade my pedals? Are certain pedals better for certain types of riding and what would be best for riding everything? (singletrack, climbs, dh, and some jumping) Thanks for any info and feel free to suggest brands and models of shoes. If I go clipless it will probably be SPD's because of adjustability.

Feb 2009
    i have done both...clipless and platform...i enjoy wearing flat bottom shoes (like etnies) and platform pedals. Mainly because you dont have to worry about the pedal releasing if you have a bad spill, plus you can bail easier.speed play actually just released a new pedal that i wouldnt mind trying called the drillium, they have a open frame design to keep from gunk build up. Also anything with moveable pins would be good so you could customize the grip.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Check out the Forte Campus Pedal... best of both worlds

mtbr member
    My bike came with platfoms w/pins. I never felt right with these, my feet never felt they were in the correct position on the platforms. Further, if you slipped an weren't wearing shin guards, you will get cut by the pins. I tried the spd/platform combination, but it was difficult to clip back in once moving down the trail. I have recently swithced to shimano 424's spd platforms and they work really well so far. I keep them lubed because the trails are still wet and I want to be able to release from them. I am wearing the shimano 52 hight top shoe, I liked the look, trying to stay away from the roadie look. however I may go to some dedicated mt. bike shoes maybe high end shimano or Sidis for a lighter weight and better fit. ( I just read an article about how and why sidi goe the extra mile to build their bike shoes)
    tommorrows saturday and I can't wait to get back out on the trails!!!
    cheers
    wn

mtbr member
    I put a thread on here ' Best SPD equilivilant to crank bros mallet??'....take a lok at that, quite a few suggestions in that and good advice....

I went with the Shimano MP66 and Time Atac Z Controls......tried them today, absolutley awsum, a perfect balance between flats and clipless for me....they arent to hard to get out of and quite tricky to get into, so you arent going to clip back in asoon as you put you foot back on the pedal if you have a close one, if you know what i mean, there is a technique to it....so you can ride without being clipped in......these are the answer....
    .....big time.....
    Hold on 2 your f***n fillings !!!!!

mtbr member
    I put a thread on here ' Best SPD equilivilant to crank bros mallet??'....take a look at that, quite a few suggestions in that and good advice....

I went with the Shimano MP66 and Time Atac Z Controls......tried them today, absolutley awsum, a perfect balance between flats and clipless for me....they arent to hard to get out of and quite tricky to get into, so you arent going to clip back in asoon as you put you foot back on the pedal if you have a close one, if you know what i mean, there is a technique to it....so you can ride without being clipped in......these are the answer....
    .....big time.....
    Hold on 2 your f***n fillings !!!!!

mtbr member

Time

I've been riding Time ATAC pedals for a long time. They are great in all conditions. You put them on your bike and you never have to think about them again. As for the pedals check I just bought Time MXK shoes they are awesome for the price. Check out the review in the product test section on www.mtbiking.ca. There are a lot of pedal options out there these days but overall the time ATAC pedals are one of the best options out there.

mtbr member
    i've really liked my 5.10s/straitline pedal combo...LOTS of grip and the lo-profile pedal gives plenty of power and control. -hawk has a point about slipping a pedal, though. I've raced xc clipped in and hit the bmx track unclipped and with the speed and potentially hurtful get-offs on the track, going to flats was safer for me. So I figure why not try a good pedal/shoe combo on my Covert...been unclipped for 8mo and lovin it. If you have the oppurtunity I would try both if you can. It is such a personal preference and skill/style thing I believe.

R12

Apr 2008
    Shimano's MT41 shoes and M647 pedals.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by R12
    Shimano's MT41 shoes and M647 pedals.
    Shimano MT41's and M770's for me.

I spent all day walking around in my MT41's.

Super comfortable, stiff enough, don't realize your wearing MTB shoes after a while.

And, IMO, reasonably priced.

Granted, had to order mine from England because there were no '08 Brown in my size
    here and I just didn't like the Black ones, but it was well worth it. I'm one happy camper.

mtbr member

Shimano M-647, and Adidas Plush

I really like this clipless pedal. I use it with the SG-56 multi-release cleat, and it is a great pedal for riding technical trails, especially if you need to climb, as well as descend.

I used platforms, but I really had problems with the feet coming off when lunging up rocky steps and stuff. But regular clipless were sometimes hard to get out of in sketchy stuff.

With this pedal and cleat combo, I get a pedal that lets me really push and pull through the pedal stroke, making technical climbs easier, but when I tip over, as soon as I send my foot out to the side, it is free. By far the easiest pedal to exit from, and also it is super easy to clip into as well.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by G4VNJ
    I put a thread on here ' Best SPD equilivilant to crank bros mallet??'....take a lok at that, quite a few suggestions in that and good advice....
    Here's the thread mentioned by G4VNJ:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=500466

It's certainly worth a look.

The Beast Breathes
    I would strongly recommend Crankbrothers pedals. I don't know how they directly match up to the SPDs (it also depends on what model-the XTRs probably kick ass) but they are very good. As for shoes, the Sette Elements are good, as are the Five Ten Impacts (if you really want to stay with platforms), Pearl Izumi anything, Serfas, etc. If you want the best of the best, go for Sidi. Be prepared to have intense sticker shock, but if you have the cash to burn, go for it.
    Good luck with that, mister 300-Mile Turn Radius.

The Crow
    5.10 Karver and 5050XX
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    P.I. x-alp + M540 really like the shoe. i have wide feet. the pedals are strong and easy to get in and out of.

local trails rider
    You should buy shoes that fit you.

pedals... if you want clipless, take a look at Time ROC ATAC.

neko no basu
    Quote Originally Posted by blkss
    Should I go clipless or stay with platforms and upgrade my pedals? Are certain pedals better for certain types of riding and what would be best for riding everything?
    crank brothers mallet is the solution.
    why choose between platforms & clipless if you can have all-in-one?

Dirt Deviant
    My fav flats are the wellgo B77 and the easton flatboys. I wear shin guards and flat bottom shoes and never have a problem with my feet slipping.
    Even with the shin guards you can get a little hurt from the pedals, like in a crash. Here is what happened to the back of my ankle yesterday after wiping out on a near vertical rock slab. It was either get tangled in barbed wire on my left, or eat it on the rock. I chose the rock.

I still prefer flats over clippless, but thats just me and it suits my riding style.

The Beast Breathes
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    My fav flats are the wellgo B77 and the easton flatboys. I wear shin guards and flat bottom shoes and never have a problem with my feet slipping.
    Even with the shin guards you can get a little hurt from the pedals, like in a crash. Here is what happened to the back of my ankle yesterday after wiping out on a near vertical rock slab. It was either get tangled in barbed wire on my left, or eat it on the rock. I chose the rock.

I still prefer flats over clippless, but thats just me and it suits my riding style.
    Oh, lord! That must have hurt like hell!
    Good luck with that, mister 300-Mile Turn Radius.

Members who have read this thread: 0