What shoes do you wear?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2009

What shoes do you wear?

So I just got my first real bike, a Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc. I really don't know much about anything in the MTB world yet, but I'm really interested in doing things "right".

So what would you recommend for shoes? I've done some some searching, and some people wear MTB specific shoes, some skates shoes, crosstrainers, etc.

What's the general consensus? Or any tips? Thanks!

mtbr member
    I wear regular running shoes with flat pedals and MTB shoes w/ clipless pedals. W/ regular shoes I try to pick something w/ knobs so my feet don't come accidentally off of pedal - something that clipless pedals almost guarantees. If you have to get out of your bike a lot, I'd stay off the clipless - they can make a small situation become a crash and a small crash bigger.

~Disc~Golf~
    I like to wear flip-flops...but I usually ride super-techy gnar-gnar - so this may not apply to you

Seriously...If you're riding flats, everyone's gonna say 510's (I wear vans) Normally I ride clipless.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    I ride dmr v8 flats with reebok pump basketball shoes. no joke. incredible grip, and unaffected by mud due to the shoe sole design.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Vans with flats.

A pair of touring type shoes with clips.

Murder for hire
    i use etnies skate sneakers, or shell toe adidas. the stick like glue on my odyssey twisted pc pedals......

mtbr member
    I have always been clipless. I tried a ton of shoes and never liked any until I found Sidi. I have been wear Sidi Dominator's for MTB and Sidi Genius for road for years and have zero complaints. I can ride all day either MTB or Road and never think about my feet, plus they dry quick after some unexpected stream crossings!
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Lakai skate shoes, or any skate shoe with the gum sole, i add padding to the area under my big toe/2nd toe though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    I wear regular running shoes with flat pedals and MTB shoes w/ clipless pedals. W/ regular shoes I try to pick something w/ knobs so my feet don't come accidentally off of pedal - something that clipless pedals almost guarantees. If you have to get out of your bike a lot, I'd stay off the clipless - they can make a small situation become a crash and a small crash bigger.
    I do the opposite... When using flat pedals I stay away from all shoes with knobs.. as a flat soled shoe ensures my sole contacts every one of the pedals pins.

Thats why they make bmx and mountain bike shoes (non clipless models) with flat soles...

mtbr member
    I have been using Vans or DC's with my dmr V8's
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc 2009
    Giant CRS 3.0 2009

mtbr member
    I've worn Sidi's since '82 on the road and Sidis since '95 in the dirt. They just "fit" me great!! But I found that asking people about biking shoes is like asking them abpout running shoes, motor oils, tires etc; ask 6 people and you'll get 8 different answers based on their individual likes/dislikes. and feet types. Go to a store and try one several bike shoes and walk in them to get a feel for what is comfy for YOU!.For me clipless pedals is the ONLY way to go!! You are in control of the bike by being attached to it and in the riough that is important. If you are to ride on easy paths and roads you'd be ok with athletic shoes and flat pedals depends on what you want. Clipless gives more efficiency by being able to pedla 360 degrees with power. But i know lots of peoplethat are afraid of clipless and for years have ridden in flats. Whatever works for you.
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

Suffers From Binge Biking
    I just wear my Skechers Sport shoes (not a flat sole) with my DMR V8 pedals and have never lost grip except when I try to reposition my foot going downhill. In my terrain, I have to put a foot down several times per ride so I have stayed away from going clipless.
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Mar 2009
    i have been using vans. and i have been riding for almost 2 months. the waffle grip on the bottom helps my feet stay in contact with the pedals unless its really bumpy terrain. although as of late i have been considering going to some sort of clip in pedal/shoe

Mar 2009
    Sidi Bullets with Shimano M-520 pedals. Clipless all the time. I ride the same setup on both my roadie and my xc bike.

May 2008
    I started out with clipless pedals and couldn't imagine riding with flat shoes/pedals. I use eggbeater pedals and sixsixone attack shoes.

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    I use 5-10 low cuts with my shimano DX flats (have a set of Blackspires as backup) and a pair of answer lace up leather van type spd shoe with shimano m424 pedals on my XC
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I use Diadora MTB bike shoes with cleats for my eggbeater pedals. They are comfy and durable. I liek the velcro strap cause i tuck the laces under the velcro to hold them out of the way.

Members who have read this thread: 0