Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

what shoes can I use?

788 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Cyberfyn 
#1 ·
Just bought a new bike, first one in ten years. It came w/ shimano m520 i think or m570, kinda bad eyes, can't distinguish. Do I need a certain shoe to fit this pedal or any shimano will do? Thanks

#5 ·
Let me try to explain this. Every cycling shoe maker creates shoes with little holes in the bottom of the sole for the cleats to bolt onto. That means you could buy from Diadora, Shimano, 661, Lake, and the list goes on. The shoes will say "SPD compatible", which means that you can use them with clipless pedals. Although "SPD" refers to Shimano's patented clipless design, all other clipless pedal makers conform to the same cleat size. Therefore, all cleats will bolt onto the bottom of whatever "SPD Compatible" shoe you buy. When you buy pedals, they will come with cleats that are specific to that pedal design. If you buy Ritchey, you'll get Ritchey cleats; Crankbrothers will have Crankbrothers cleats. But, rest assured, the cleats will bolt onto the bottom of your shoes.

You can buy Lake shoes and use them with Crankbrothers pedals without a problem. If you buy Shimano pedals later on, then you just have to switch the cleats and they will work with the Shimano pedals just as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.