what shoes???- Mtbr.com

Thread: what shoes???

Don't ride a Trek anymore
    Sep 2008

what shoes???

I need some new shoes that will be able to handle the rocks in CO. Just some good, reasonably light all around shoes that work with cleats and dont slide all over rocks. Price cap is about $150. any ideas? Oh, Sidi's and Pearl Izumi's fit my feet well if thats of any help. thanks!

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Riding or HAB ??

Pretty exclusive.

Sep 2008
    mostly riding, but i want something that wont slip all over the place if i have to step off the bike in a rocky section. i think it just comes down to the sole material? soft vs hard rubber/plastic

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Dig the Specialized and they have an awesome replacement warranty.

mtbr member
    I've heard good things about these:
    http://www.veltecsportsusa.com/defau...X165-BK&clr=BK

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    I will be rocking the new Shimano AM45/41 just as soon as I can get my sweaty feet into them.

Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

mtbr member
    I really like my specialized shoes, they are comfy. But the ratchet buckle sucks, I will be replacing it with a sidi buckle once it breaks.

mtbr member
    I don't think you can find a pair of Sidi's for less than $180, not to mention they suck on HAB's. They're great for the pedaling and fit part though.
    Catalina wine Mixer!

mtbr member
    Love my new Shimano MP66 shoes. Suprisingly stiff, great for long rides - done CB and Monarch Crest the last 2 weekends and worked well for long rides. Super comfortable, yet fit tight enough for clipless hoes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have specialized BG sports, they have a good texture rubber on the sole. Hard but enough grip for rocks. Comfy shoes. For me though the toe material isn't that durable, I've torn the fabric some. Looks like they changed the sports to a different toe fabric this year, and the comps have a plastic toe guard, plus a ratchet buckle.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonvelocity
    I will be rocking the new Shimano AM45/41 just as soon as I can get my sweaty feet into them.

It's beyond my command of the English language to express just how fugly these shoes are!

hehe ...you said "member"
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonj1979
    I don't think you can find a pair of Sidi's for less than $180, not to mention they suck on HAB's. They're great for the pedaling and fit part though.
    I have SIDI Dominator 5's - great shoe on the bike, but the footing on the ground is a bit treacherous.
    I get better footing on rocks with my Specialized and Lake shoes. More in that $ range too.
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    It's beyond my command of the English language to express just how fugly these shoes are!
    BWAAHAAHAAHAA

ok, so flame me... WTF is HAB?

My $0.02, spend the money and buy the best shoes you can find that fit you well. In my opinion great shoes are one of life's great keys to happiness. Just remember that feeling the last time you purchased new shoes. Your feet said "wow, this is great!" As our shoes wear out we forget how good your feet can feel and become blind to the discomfort. Slowly chipping away at your capacity to smile.

long story short

bad shoes =
    comfy shoes =
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

Quote Originally Posted by Porchsong
    ok, so flame me... WTF is HAB?

:
    Hike A Bike

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    That's because your Engrish is $hitty.

Quote Originally Posted by jake7
    Hike A Bike

ah, thanks.
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jake7
    I have SIDI Dominator 5's - great shoe on the bike, but the footing on the ground is a bit treacherous.
    I get better footing on rocks with my Specialized and Lake shoes. More in that $ range too.
    Hey jake, how do the Lakes fit compared to the SIDI's?

Rigid in Evergreen
    Wow, those Shimano Moonshoes are seriously fugly, but I bet they'll be warm in the winter.

Sidi Dom5's, both comfortable and durable.

mtbr member

Warranty on Specialized Shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Dig the Specialized and they have an awesome replacement warranty.
    I have a pair of BG Comps and the rubber nubs on the sole are breaking off- what is the replacement warranty? I can't seem to find info on it anywhere...

Sep 2008
    the thing about the SIDI's is that the bottoms are super hard... even the "soft" rubbery/plastic grip on the bottom is still pretty hard. I feel like that would slip all over rocks..

killin clear creek
    Another contender to consider if comfort is a concern...

Keen Springwaters. Comfy & a good technical show with a decent mix of bottom durometer.

I've owned very few bike shoes that were comfortable, these fit ... like a shoe...
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

Sep 2008
    I'm pretty comfy in standard bike shoes, i have some thin pearl izumis right now and i dont mind them one bit. I also find SIDI's very comfortable, and I would have gotten a pair by now if i wasnt concerned about the lack of grip on hard surfaces.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryislife

Keen Springwaters. Comfy & a good technical show with a decent mix of bottom durometer.
    I've owned very few bike shoes that were comfortable, these fit ... like a shoe...
    I like my Keen's. I've had them for about a year now, but they are starting to come apart a little. Some of the stitching has broken, and the soles are coming unglued from the hard sole. They are comfortable and the 1st bike shoes I've owned (I have wide feet, so there wasn't a lot of choices out there). Not sure if this is normal, or if I'm just really hard on shoes. I haven't had any issues with HAB -- I can feel the stiffness of the soles, but can still walk in them without much of an issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Stick w/ Pearl Izumis if you like them

http://shop.pearlizumi.com/shop.php?...oducts&outlet=

The X-alp series have nice rubber on the sole rather than the hard plastic of their other shoes. I have the X-alp p.r.o version, which is carbon sole & $200 msrp, but I got them for $176 @ spicercycles.com. They have other version w/ good prices as well & customer service is top notch.

http://spicercycles.com/model-list/p...-t296-qc37.htm

Anybody tried Shimano's SH-M230C shoes?

While donating a little blood to the singletrack gods I recently broke both base plates on my beloved Dragons. DOH! They are well beyond anything that I would even consider under warranty - they were great shoes excluding the new cleat kit every spring..$$! So it's time to purchase new shoes.

Before I drop the cash on a new pair of Sidi's I'm looking around for another high quality MTB shoe that is reasonably light and has really good (rubber) traction on the CO rock. Plus half sizes are a big bonus.

Any comments?

Cheers,

Porch

I was not able to find the high end Shimano shoe, but I tried on a similar version. It was clear that shimano kicks are not for me.

Gotta say the Giro Code looks mighty fine. Anybody spent some saddle time in a pair yet? (release date is Jan 2011)

Porch

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    sette epics can't be beat. 69 bucks for a great shoe..pricepoint.

Gaerne?

How about these, or any others from Gaerne?

http://www.gaerneshoes.com/ProductDe...de=GKeiraBlack

or

http://www.gaerneshoes.com/product-p...aplusblack.htm

Anybody know if he rubber tread material on the soles shown in the links above are soft and grippy? Look like a great shoes, nice beefy lugged sole on the Keira's.

Porch

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Mavic has a new option that looks pretty good:
    Alpine XL

I think I'm going to get a pair as a lighter alternative to my Shimano MP66's for trail, Super D, etc.

The 5th knuckle
    I'm pretty happy with my NorthWave. Have a sole real similar to my vasque trekking shoes.

imaorobbie
    5.10, enough said. Stickiest rubber out there. I ride in the Freerider. I want to take look at the Minnar shoe; which, is SPD. However, the way my Freeriders stick I don't know if I will ever go back to clips.

Flat pedals make it so easy to re-start on big climbs.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by imaorobbie
    5.10, enough said. Stickiest rubber out there. I ride in the Freerider. I want to take look at the Minnar shoe; which, is SPD.
    I'm liking this one, SPD and no fugly white like the Minnar version or the Shimano shoe.

Supposedly available later this year according to Brian who posted the pic from Ibike

mtbr member
    You might be able to find the older Shimano MP66 that are dark grey/black on ebay or something. I absolutely love mine. They are the only bike/spd shoe I have ever owned that I feel like I can walk around and hang out in instead of itching to get them off like ski boots after a long day. Great grippy soles and work perfectly w/ shimano pedals, even the caged ones like the 646 (imagine that).

The drawbacks to the bigger, gummier shoes like the MP66, fivetens, etc. is that they tend to weigh more and are bulkier in size. Which for me means they drag on cranks and bike frame easier when pedaling than the skinny little hard plastic xc shoes.

I wouldn't worry about the white. After a couple of rides they turn to more of a tan or brown, maybe some green, or even a little red if you're lucky

Those Mavics looks pretty good. They have another pair called Mantras that have more of a gummy sole, too. I'd like to try a pair, but Mavic shoes = $$$ and no one caries them.
    Biker? I don't even know her.

imaorobbie
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I'm liking this one, SPD and no fugly white like the Minnar version or the Shimano shoe.

Supposedly available later this year according to Brian who posted the pic from Ibike

I forgot that one. I remember seeing while looking at the 5.10 website. Thanks for reminding me.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SylentK
    Those Mavics looks pretty good. They have another pair called Mantras that have more of a gummy sole, too. I'd like to try a pair, but Mavic shoes = $$$ and no one caries them.
    Salvagetti stocks Mavic shoes.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008

Re: 5.10 Minnaar

They're heavy! I picked up a pair and it felt like I picked up a cement block. I don't know the actual weight, but they're the heaviest mtb shoe I've ever encountered, according to my hand-dyno.

Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa
    They're heavy! I picked up a pair and it felt like I picked up a cement block. I don't know the actual weight, but they're the heaviest mtb shoe I've ever encountered, according to my hand-dyno.

Yup, tanks. Now we just need 5.10 to make a MTB shoe for trailriding, not freeride.

So far the most I'm most interested in the 2011 Giro Code and the Gearne shoes. But I've not had the chance to touch either pair.

mtbr member
    I've had good luck with the Specialized Tahoe. It has held up well and I think it is the best option between a typical lightweight xc racer shoe and something like the 5.10 SPD.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=58000

Members who have read this thread: 0