what are reasonable wt shoes ??- Mtbr.com
    robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

what are reasonable wt shoes ??

The comment in the actual riding wt's thread got me wondering. I'm still wearing my first mtb shoes, Lake MX80s, 2.58 lbs (1170.27 gr) with SPD cleats and whatever dried mud didn't come off easily.

They seem like anchors to me, but I didn't notice any shoe weights last time I cruized the catalogs, so I have no comparision.

What is a good weight for a shoe, and what is a decent shoe that's better than my Lakes and not as expensive as Sidi Dominators?

-capt p

Jan 2004

Your shoes are a heavy

Quote Originally Posted by capt pearl
    The comment in the actual riding wt's thread got me wondering. I'm still wearing my first mtb shoes, Lake MX80s, 2.58 lbs (1170.27 gr) with SPD cleats and whatever dried mud didn't come off easily.

They seem like anchors to me, but I didn't notice any shoe weights last time I cruized the catalogs, so I have no comparision.

What is a good weight for a shoe, and what is a decent shoe that's better than my Lakes and not as expensive as Sidi Dominators?

-capt p
    My Shimano M-036 shoes (size 42....8.5) weigh 900 grams with cleats

The current year version...M-038 without cleats weighs 857 grams in size 40

Look at all the weights on Shimano's page

http://bike.shimano.com/Footwear_Ped...wear/index.asp

That should tell you what "heavy" means

By the way, on sale you can get a pair of the M-038 for under $60 but make sure you try any shoes on first in person before you buy on the internet. Every company has different sizes and each shoe can fit differently.
    This M-038 is very comfortable to walk in also

Apr 2004
    entry level shoes 1200g

race shoes 750 - 800g

check out the listings on weight weenies website
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/li...php?type=shoes

Feb 2004
    definitely get yourself some SIDIs ...if you think the Dominators are too expensive for you, look at the Rocket/Bullets ...Davide posted that his new Rockets weigh 625g for a size 41 ...Sidi shoes fit like a glove and are the lightest

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

what do SPD cleats weigh

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster
    entry level shoes 1200g

race shoes 750 - 800g

check out the listings on weight weenies website
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/li...php?type=shoes

Out of curiosity. I didn't see them anywhere on the list.
    -capt p

Feb 2004
    Out of curiosity. I didn't see them anywhere on the list.
    -capt p
    i think the eggbeater cleats are the lightest ..maybe around 35-40g for the pair

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

do all Sidi's fit the same?

Quote Originally Posted by eurorider
    definitely get yourself some SIDIs ...if you think the Dominators are too expensive for you, look at the Rocket/Bullets ...Davide posted that his new Rockets weigh 625g for a size 41 ...Sidi shoes fit like a glove and are the lightest

If they fit the same but just have different upper materials and strapping mechanisms, the Rampa's (especially last year's closeouts) look like a good deal. They're not in the weightweenies/starbikes list - anyone got a weight on them?

-capt p

Feb 2004
    If they fit the same but just have different upper materials and strapping mechanisms, the Rampa's (especially last year's closeouts) look like a good deal. They're not in the weightweenies/starbikes list - anyone got a weight on them?

-capt p
    The more expensive models may fit better but I'm sure you will be surprised how even the cheaper Sidis fit ...the new Rocket/Bullet just got the competition sole (lighter) that the pricier Dominator and Eagle have ...for this year the Rampa also has the competition sole so I would be looking at the current one ....the new Rocket model also has Lorica uppers so that "could" be Sidi's lightest shoe since it also has some mesh on it

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

-capt p
    They fit about the same but more expensive models have also extra-wide models available. My favourite Sidi closure method is on my now-discontinued Ghost mtb shoe which has two indexed plastic wraps and ratchet - it's light, reliable and easy to adjust. I also have Sidi road shoes with three Velcros - they work ok but I'd prefer ratchet for small adjustments while riding.
    Actually I think top-of-the-line Sidi shoes are pretty stupid - why have three different buckles on same shoe?

I'd recommend getting cheapest available model with three straps. Btw, Sidi soles are quite hard and do not have good grip on wet rocks.

Apr 2004
    I've riding Shimano M221's.

Weighted them on a not very accurate non-digital postal scale. just below 800g with Xpedo cleats (same cleats as p959 shimano pedals use).

They give a stiff feel in the pedal with a carbon fibre sole plate.

I agree weight should be a factor. More important would be:
    adjustable cleat positioning.
    fit of the shoe.
    stiffness of the sole.
    durability.
    grip.

I also agree with a previous post, ratcheting buckles can be useful for "in the saddle" adjustability.

Whilst holding my hand up to being a weight weenie, I do try and get stuff that works! yes I have bolt tuned my bike with both Ti and Al. Yes I have fitted a SRP kit to a DA7800 rear mech to get the weight down to 165g.

But at the end of the day "its also got to work!"

I love Pisgah
    My race day only Sidi Rampa's are 705gms with Egg cleats installed. I've bench grinded 1/3 of the lugs off...taken the 2 plug screws out...and cut off the excess strap material. I'm crazy like that ya know.

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

so I'm hearing very "pro" Sidi here

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    My race day only Sidi Rampa's are 705gms with Egg cleats installed. I've bench grinded 1/3 of the lugs off...taken the 2 plug screws out...and cut off the excess strap material. I'm crazy like that ya know.
    And that the lower models are comfortable and light, just choose your closure system.

This makes me very happy.

Dumb question - how do you fit mtb shoes? I know that I want to go to a bike shop and try them on (and hopefully buy them from "real" people, not that ever stopped me from ordering), but how tight do you like them out-of-the-box. Also, sometimes I wear the thin mtb sox and sometimes (coldtimes) I wear thicker sox. Should I buy for the thicker and cinch them tighter for the thinner?

-capt p

I love Pisgah
    Personally, and since its hard to have a do-all shoe, I have a few pair(5 for Gods sake) to do it all. The Rampa's were tried on at REI(had to use up my dividend check somehow). I want my race shoes fit and snug(I wear a 9.5, which the Sidi 43 is snug when new)with no room to grow, so to speak. This ensures no excess movement, weight, etc. with my lightest weight socks. Then, I've got some Shimano 162s($120 retail for $49 from Nashbar)that are 44s that fit more traditionally for epics, trail riding, mud races, etc. Then...for winter I have some 1st gen Sidi Storms(bought new for $50 at a closing LBS sale ) that are 44s(Sidi's run a tad bigger then S shoes of the same size)that work perfectly for heavier socks like the lighter verison of the Smartwools. The other 2 pair are some around town entry level S shoes, and old Time race shoes I started with that still are functional/loaner/etc.