What really is the difference between a MTB helmet and a road helmet?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

New question here. What really is the difference between a MTB helmet and a road helmet?

...if they're both open faced, what is the difference? They look almost the same, and road helmets seem cheaper.

For example, all of the Giro line of helmets are like $100 and up it seems, but the Bell Slant (which I've read is good) can be found for like $40-50. And they look similar. What's the difference?

Just curious.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Styling, vent location and number (to some extent), aerodynamics, presence/absence of a visor.

You can get a Giro for less than $100. Especially a more mountain bike oriented Giro. In fact I'd argue the opposite; road "specific" helmets are more expensive than many mountain bike helmets.

Anyway, there is no safety difference, so wear whatever you like so long as it fits.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    sometimes mountain helmets will have more coverage in the back/sides, sometimes not. other than that it's all about the visor.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Hoosier
    Mountain bike helmets have a visor! I have been more than happy with my $35 Bell.
    SS is like beer...its an acquired taste.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    As was already posted, it is the visor. Seriously.

mtbr member
    Supposedly, the vents are larger on a mountain bike helmet to compensate for riding slower than road.

mtbr member
    I can't tell the difference.

I bought a mountain bike helmet recently because it was cheaper and had a visor. I use it when I road ride at night because I've got my light mounted on it.

I use my road helmet on daytime mountain bike rides. :|

mtbr member
    On many helmets its just a visor.

However, if you go higher end with mountain helmets you can find ones with better back/side coverage (like markf said). Try on one of these or these and you will notice the difference right away; very comfy and secure feeling and they almost feel like a full-face helmet with the front removed

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    On many helmets its just a visor.

However, if you go higher end with mountain helmets you can find ones with better back/side coverage (like markf said). Try on one of these or these and you will notice the difference right away; very comfy and secure feeling and they almost feel like a full-face helmet with the front removed
    Thanks for the clarification everyone. Boom, thanks for the examples as well!

Members who have read this thread: 0