what to put on the helmet with a tesla on the bar?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

what to put on the helmet with a tesla on the bar?

I really have fallen for the lupine tesla light, and plan to buy it for bar mount. I'd still need a helmet light, though, and hope I can go with something cheaper than a lupine.
    Here I hope that an Exposure Joystick will do, but do you recon I'd at all be able to see anything I point at with the joystick, when I have all that light from the tesla on the bar?
    I mean, is the ~200lumens on the head enough?
    Will be riding mostly singletrack XC alone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Donīt u think the tesla is enough?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Another Tesla of course!! That is just what I did and I love it. I know it is more than you want to spend, but I am sure one crash that could be avoided with more light would be well worth the extra couple hundred $ that you spend.

Otherwise I would suggest a Dinotte 400L.

I honestly wasn't all the impressed with the Joystick in terms of light output and DEFINITELY not in terms of throw.

BBW
    mtbr member
    I went for another Lupine (Wilma) since I like to have redundancy (same batteries, chargers, mounts, etc just in case) I would recommend something in the 400 lumens range. The suggestion of a 400L sounds good. If you order the extra lens kit, you can play to use a wide lens to use the DiNotte on the bars and the Tesla on the helmet, or just use the 400 with spot lens on the helmet and the Tesla on the bars

If you just want something to see around the corners a 200L would do but with the prices as they are, i still think the 400L is a better option

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    yeah the dinotte seems perfect for it, thanks - I was also considering ayup, but the dinotte outperforms it in many ways I think.

actually I might find the tesla enough light, but I also need the versatility of a head torch, thanks for caring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmnk
    I
    Will be riding mostly singletrack XC alone.
    I do the occasional group ride at night but like you planned on more time alone on the trails. I vacillated for awhile then bite the bullet and ordered the Wilma 7 and Tesla. $$$$$$$......absolutely ! Although, I still can't/won't tell anyone what I paid for them all my regrets vanished after receiving and using the lights. Amazing output, great runtime, beautiful build quality and incredibly light weight system. The combo satisfied any safety concern I had for riding alone.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanin
    I do the occasional group ride at night but like you planned on more time alone on the trails. I vacillated for awhile then bite the bullet and ordered the Wilma 7 and Tesla. $$$$$$$......absolutely ! Although, I still can't/won't tell anyone what I paid for them all my regrets vanished after receiving and using the lights. Amazing output, great runtime, beautiful build quality and incredibly light weight system. The combo satisfied any safety concern I had for riding alone.
    This is what I have (Well, Wilma 4) and Since I received the Tesla I haven't been able to go on the trail Hopefully Friday I will be able to do it if I get organized
    I run the Wilma on 60% to conserve battery (you don't need too ) and the Tesla, for what I have played around, I think medium is enough for 80% of my rides maybe
    I'm eager to go with these 2 puppies to the trail

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmnk
    actually I might find the tesla enough light, but I also need the versatility of a head torch, thanks for caring.
    I have a Tesla and IMO I think you'll find, with it mounted on the helmet, that it's more than enough light for XC singletrack. I'd be surprised if you find you need something else.

Ologist
    stella 200 - very light, strong spot with very long battery life

Members who have read this thread: 0