What lycra shorts???- Mtbr.com
    STRAVA!!!!!!

What lycra shorts???

Looking to get some Lycra shorts and I am wondering what the heck the difference is between $30 shorts and $130 shorts. In the past I have used some Fox DH type shorts with tail and hip bone pads (can't have enough padding at my age), but I am wondering if I am getting less butt comfort than I would get in a dedicated Lycra pair of ridding shorts. What ever I get I wear them under some baggy shorts and my main concern now is comfort, any suggestions???

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Generalizing here but the biggest difference will be the "quality." Lower profile stitching on the panels, less chamois sticking past the edge of the seams, smoother edges on the chamois, higher quality lycra (better memory). I haven't bought retail in a while but I can't imagine a need to spend over $100 unless you just want to.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Ok, the difference is two fold. First, the higher priced shorts use more panels in the construction, which should give better fit and flexibility. Secondly, the higher priced shorts provide a better chamois, one that has just enough padding (in the right place) without feeling like a diaper.

I've had good luck with Endura lycras underneath riding shorts. There are a lot of different styles to choose from. The simplest are the 6 panel, and they should be around $35. They feel fine for my 2-4 hour rides. They also make some that are mesh on the sides for better ventilation (forget what they're called). I like their Zyme shorts or knickers over the lycra. It gives a lot of protection and storage.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Pearl Izumi. I have two pair of shorts that I purchased around 1997. They're still the most comfortable shorts I've ever worn.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Pearl Izumi. I have two pair of shorts that I purchased around 1997. They're still the most comfortable shorts I've ever worn.
    Yeah, but which ones? I have a couple pairs of Pearl Izumis, too, and I can't remember which they are. They seem decent enough, especially the bib knickers.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Yeah,which ones???

ride
    More than you wanted to know about lycra from a recovering PI employee...

Pricier shorts have a few things going over lesser. You're generally paying for a more quality all around short. Better fabric, better fit, and better chamois. Most of the chamois out there are developed by a chamois company, then shopped around to different mfgs. Shorts companies will change one or two things on the chamois (shape, color, etc) then they will spec them in the short. Better chamois have multi density foam and anti bacterial properties. Some of the higher end shorts actually have thinner chamois (3-4mm vs 5-7mm) because the market wearing them wants something lighter and is more used to being in the saddle.

The lycra itself can really differ as well. Look for a micro-denier gradient short. To my knowledge, that'll limit you to PI or Descente. It's super comfy fabric that mechanically pulls moisture away from your body due to the layout and shape of the yarn. Not due to a coating, ie Drifit, Under Armour, etc. With PI, start at Ultrasensor (around $100) and it gets pricier from there. I prefer the Ultrasensor - it's not too lightweight and is a little more durable. Some of the really pricey Euro brands shorts get more comfy because they use a finer weave, thinner lycra but without any of the moisture transfer technology. Comfy yes, breathes well yes, see thru, yes.

Fit - you'll get a better fit generally with more panels of fabric, but don't be sold on just the number of panels. It also depends on the size and shape of the panel. Some 6 panel shorts out there have a much, much better fit than some of the 8 panels. Bottom line, you're best to try them on to see what works for you.

I'd rather do laundry every time I ride and have only one $100 short over a handful of $30 shorts. It makes that much difference if you spend a lot of time pedaling.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Might be time for some new ones. 13 years of under-carriage sweat!
    Catalina wine Mixer!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonj1979
    Might be time for some new ones. 13 years of under-carriage sweat!
    Washing machine - look into one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Ultrasensor FTW, I need about 2-3 pairs at any given time in the closet, as was said before, I'd rather have one expensive pair than 3 cheap pairs. Get out on the bike for 8 hours or so in a cheap pair, you will be buying expensive ones soon.

Lone Wolf McQuade
    I made the switch to bibs about two years ago and love them. They took a little getting used to but they are so much more comfy than just the shorts...there's no more cold air up your back or the feeling that they're falling off

Matt
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Washing machine - look into one.
    What's this washing machine you speak of? Just sayin' 13 years definitely takes it's toll on a fabric, unless you only use them twice a year...
    Catalina wine Mixer!

Members who have read this thread: 0