What to look for in a Helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

What to look for in a Helmet

My current helmet is quite old, purchased about 10 years ago when all I did was casual rides. I'm thinking that it might be time for an upgrade given that I'm riding trails now. What should I be looking for in terms of coverage? And is a $150 helmet really tat much better then the $60 version from the same company?

mtbr member
    In order of importance

1. Comfort
    2. Price
    3. Weight
    4. Vents
    5. Style

All the helmets have to pass safety test so no XC helmet is safer then another. Helmets are something I like to buy from the LBS since how it feels on my head is really all that matters.

The $150 dollar helmet will most likely be lighter, have more ventilation and sometimes a different retention system. I usually go for mid priced helmets as they tend to be the best budget buys.
    Last edited by dan4jeepin; 12-04-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    usually i end up looking for my gloves and my glasses in my helmet... oh wait. lol

Dan hit it on the head,

comfort/fit and coverage are the most important to me. I like something that has good coverage for the back of the head, that seems to be where i always land.

after that ventilation and price, these seem to walk hand in hand. cheap helmets tend to not have as much ventilation. the more venting the lighter weight ect. A good vented light weight helmet will run 100-150.00.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Definitely comfort first. All of my helmets fit great and are comfortable to wear for hours on end. After that it's price for me. Then looks.
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by swcreates View Post
    My current helmet is quite old, purchased about 10 years ago when all I did was casual rides. I'm thinking that it might be time for an upgrade given that I'm riding trails now. What should I be looking for in terms of coverage? And is a $150 helmet really tat much better then the $60 version from the same company?
    As others have said, comfort is number one.

If you really want more coverage, be wary of ones that look like they have more but really don't. Several helmets marketed as "All Mountain" offer no more coverage or protection than ones listed as "XC" or road. My Xen, and the new Xar are examples. There is nothing wrong with these helmets, and I would buy the Xen again because it is so comfortable on my head (and I like the looks), but don't assume one helmet has better protection just because it is marketed for AM.

Ones that really do have more coverage and better protection are going to be heavier and more bulky. Not a problem necessarily, but something to be aware of.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    A new helmet at this point is the most important factor when you're using a 10-yr old one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    You should be comfortable with your helmet, not just buying it because of the style.

Class Clown
    i have a cheap Giro Transfer helmet ($35), replaced my last one of the same model after it saved my head. helmet cracked, head OK.

Uphill? What's that
    You might want to che k out pricepoint they have the fox flux helmet on sale for under 70.00. Its a very comfortable helmet .

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Bob View Post
    You might want to che k out pricepoint they have the fox flux helmet on sale for under 70.00. Its a very comfortable helmet .
    Ive been rockin a flux for years, it was a bit heavy and has a very poor strap retention system and i always really noticed it on my head.
    That all changed when i just got a new 661 Recon stealth in matte black , it leaves the fox flux for dead imo, it has a great strap retention system, better pads, better air flow, better visor, and its lighter, imo just better quality all round, and to top it off it looks slick, way better than the flux.
    its the first helmet ive put on my head that ive actually liked n wanted to wear..
    Full kudos to 661, just given my flux to my lil bro.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....:cool:

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    x2 on the 661 Recon! It's super comfortable with great airflow!

Evolutionsverlierer
    Just replaced my 10+ year old helmet with a uvex XP 100, could not be happier.

You might also want to check the clearance/sale section at jensonusa.com.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Comfort, Comfort, Comfort!!! It all depends on how it feels on your head. The Fox Flux fits my head, The sixsix1 did not.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    What about Taiwanese helmets? I live in China and it is hard to get US helmets that are certified.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Also, what about color?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    test

Quote Originally Posted by chetly View Post
    Comfort, Comfort, Comfort!!! It all depends on how it feels on your head. The Fox Flux fits my head, The sixsix1 did not.
    Of course, that goes without saying, it must fit your head first and formost, no point havin a good lid that doesnt fit......

mtbr member
    check out POC trabec race. it will be my next helmet.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

Quote Originally Posted by fondoo View Post
    check out POC trabec race. it will be my next helmet.
    Yer nice lid but at $230, its ridiculously over priced, boarderlining on lunacy as with all POC gear, at 230 bucks it betta be the best helmet in the history of helmets, you can by two imo top of the line helmets for that and still have 30 bucks change....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    ^ Reported Flarryini

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGB View Post
    cheap helmets tend to not have as much ventilation.
    Fewer vents = more material. So you're saying helmets are like women's bathing suits. The less material to make them, the more they cost...

mtbr member
    poc trabec race is only $150 on amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Yer nice lid but at $230, its ridiculously over priced, boarderlining on lunacy as with all POC gear, at 230 bucks it betta be the best helmet in the history of helmets, you can by two imo top of the line helmets for that and still have 30 bucks change....
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

Quote Originally Posted by fondoo View Post
    poc trabec race is only $150 on amazon.
    Sweet, i just went to the first shop i found doing a search and that was CRC where they are $237, suppose 150 bucks aint bad, cheers

mtbr member
    The two most important factors for buying any type of helmet, for any type of activity are;
    It fits you perfectly.
    To spend as much as you can possibly afford.

This is the item of riding kit where you should never cut corners or penny pinch. If you've got a ten dollar head, then buy a ten dollar helmet. Fact.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    #1 fit.
    #2 vents.

Cheaper helmets fit better in some cases than $$. EG., giro "standard" size helmet is a med-large which fits my head well. giro med too small, giro large too large. I would go somewhere you can try a bunch of helmets to see which fits your head. Heads comes come in many shapes and sizes.

It fits you perfectly.
    To spend as much as you can possibly afford.

This is the item of riding kit where you should never cut corners or penny pinch
    I don't agree. More expensive helmets are less safe, they are designed to be as light as possible and still squeeze over the minimal safety requirement. A ventless 2" thick helmet would be very cheap to manufacturer, very hot, and very safe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    I don't agree. More expensive helmets are less safe, they are designed to be as light as possible and still squeeze over the minimal safety requirement
    ....yeah ok! I'm sure all the main stream reputable helmet R&D depts across the entire industry would agree with that summation of what they do and try to achieve.

Members who have read this thread: 0