what kind of shoes

Printable View

• 02-27-2010
    fatguy1
    what kind of shoes
    im tryin to get some good shoes to ride with... ive got platform pedals so i just was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me ive seen shoes from mfrs like shimanno but not sure
  • 02-27-2010
    Nubster
    5.10's are good shoes for platforms. A lot of folks ride in skate shoes too. Something with a stiffer sole is what you want to look for.
  • 03-01-2010
    Presta Pusher
    I picked up a pair of Keen Austin shoes from REI over the weekend. They have a stiff sole actually look pretty nice. If you decide to go clipless, you can just unscrew the plate on the underneath and attach clips. I'm running Shimano SPD's with mine and I like them. I think I could actually drive to the trail, ride, and stop on the way home for a beer in them. They were a bit pricey though at $120.

http://www.rei.com/product/796898

I had a pair of Shimano SPD shoes that I wore out (the old orange and blue and I think brown shoes). They aren't as discrete but they worked and lasted quite a few years.
  • 03-16-2010
    diableri
    I've been using these for the last week and a half or so to test ride new bikes and do a bit of very light riding of some friends 29ers (which are awesome!).

They've been great for me as I my foot is too wide for my old SPDs. I think I paid about $100 for em with CA tax. Only problem was the black, it 110 for a few months here.

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear...der-black-grey
  • 03-16-2010
    Nubster
    I know where you can get some 5.10 Sam Hill 2's for a good price in size 11, only worn once for about 5 miles...wink, wink.
  • 03-16-2010
    dadtorbn
    I have Sidi shoes for both my road bike and my mountain bike. They fit me like a glove. I wear a very thin moister wicking sock when riding. I couldn't comfortably wear my normal cotton white socks in my riding shoes. It's fine though. You don't want moister against your feet when riding. My feet are very, very happy with my Sidi shoes. When I got my road shoes the shop thought I needed wide shoes. However, the strap adjusts and I was happiest with normal shoes.
  • 03-17-2010
    david8613
    i see alot of people using those platform type shoe, thats fine if your only using platform pedals but if your using shimano spd, or crank brother types pedals nothing beats sidi, most comfortable but still stiff enough for transfer of power...but from your post you mention platforms, so stick with the 5.10 they seem to be the most popular...
  • 03-20-2010
    toxicity_27
    I have the 5.10 Freerider. They seemed narrow when I first put them on, but the more I've worn them the more comfortable they've gotten. Very grippy shoe. Going to put my new pedals on today, and possibly go for a test ride soon. Though I have a torn meniscus so I'm not sure how soon that will be.
  • 04-04-2010
    tedsalt
    5.10 Impact 2 Low w/ stealth rubber soles rock !!!
    I've been a clip-in pedal rider, but have moved to Easton Flyboys with the 5 tennies on my 29er, and I'm not looking back. I'm amazed at how the shoes stick to the pedals ...
  • 04-23-2010
    TallBikeMike
    Sidi's here, not many choices in a 52 narrow! Love the Dominator/Crank bro's Acid II Combo! Sidi's do fit "like a glove", many others that I ride with are taking there shoes off when we take a break, why? My only fault: Be careful when walking into the pub, these are slippery on a hard floor.
  • 05-05-2010
    New Light
    I'm currently running some DCs which are 'okay', but I ordered the 5.10 freerides so we'll see(should be here Friday)
  • 05-06-2010
    sladams1
    5.10 Impact 2 Low (tried Mid but they were too bulky) with Crank Bros 5050xx pedals... UNBELIEVABLE grip on the pedal, literally feels like they are attached, just without the upstroke... Will switch to SIDI and Eggbeaters when I get more comfortable on my bike...
  • 05-06-2010
    JohnA42
    How's the width on the 5.10's? Love to try them (Impact low, most likely) but have got wide feet -- 2E or 4E, depending on the manufacturer.
  • 05-06-2010
    sladams1
    I am on the wider side of D (dress shoes I sometimes need 2E) and the 5.10 Impact 2 Lows fit, but I have all laces loosened all the way up. Works and they are great shoes! YMMV.
  • 05-08-2010
    JohnA42
    Tried a couple pair of 5-10's (Impact Low, Freeride) today and they might fit... if I shaved about 1/2 an inch off the side of each foot. Since I'm not willing to do that (yet!) does anyone have any other suggestions?

I tried on the Keen Austin that someone mentioned earlier. They were actually wide enough but I was a little underwhelmed with them.

I also tried on a couple different Shimano models: MT32, MO86, and something else. The 86 might be okay if they loosened up at all as they broke in. I really don't think I want to go clipless just yet, though.
  • 05-09-2010
    TallBikeMike
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnA42
    Tried a couple pair of 5-10's (Impact Low, Freeride) today and they might fit... if I shaved about 1/2 an inch off the side of each foot. Since I'm not willing to do that (yet!) does anyone have any other suggestions?

I tried on the Keen Austin that someone mentioned earlier. They were actually wide enough but I was a little underwhelmed with them.

I also tried on a couple different Shimano models: MT32, MO86, and something else. The 86 might be okay if they loosened up at all as they broke in. I really don't think I want to go clipless just yet, though.

Sidi "Mega"size Dominators seem to work for my buddy with an wide foot
  • 05-10-2010
    JohnA42
    Sadly, the "mega" seems to apply to the price as well. :)
  • 05-25-2010
    Shiny&New
    Try Bicycle sandles!
    In colder weather I ride an older pair of Sidi's. However, I'm moving to India this summer and it is HOT over there. I've picked up a pair of these to try. They work with my spd's.

http://www.rei.com/product/765247
  • 05-25-2010
    JohnA42
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiny&New
    In colder weather I ride an older pair of Sidi's. However, I'm moving to India this summer and it is HOT over there. I've picked up a pair of these to try. They work with my spd's.

http://www.rei.com/product/765247

I tried a pair of those and they were too narrow for me. I do wear a similar sandal by Teva, but it doesn't have cleats. I love them for riding on paved trails but not so much for off-road stuff.