What kind of helmet to start learning? Other gear?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

What kind of helmet to start learning? Other gear?

I normally just ride pavement and path. I'm currently looking for a new bike and I want to start hitting beginner trails.

What kind of helmet should I get? I have a regular road type helmet. I also just purchased a SixSixOne skater type helmet. Should I have gotten a full face one?

What other safety equipment should I have gotten?

Hardwarz

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    A helmet and pair of gloves is all you really need. No need for a full face helmet, the roadie helmet will work fine (unless you fear being pulled over by the fashion police).

Class Clown
    i would recommend some type of eye protection, getting things in your eyes is not fun

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Half the time....

the only difference between a companies road helmet and the MTB model is a visor. The skate helmet will work fine as well. They all have to meet the same standards for protection. As the others have said, a pair of gloves and some eye protection is all you really need otherwise. From there you'll figure out what you need for gear as you gain experience. You'll learn what you need for the way you ride.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Are there some preferred helmet brands that you guys like? I'm looking at pricepoint and see Gire, Bell, Fox for some reasonable prices. There is a Giro I really like.

Fat and Slow
    Aug 2009
    i bought the giro Indicator yesterday at my lbs - i am also a beginner.
    09 Hardrock Sport Disc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You are best to find one that you like that fits you. My wife has Giro and I have a Bell Volt. The Volt fit me the best and had the color I was looking for. Each helmet fits different and if it's not comfortable you won't wear it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    remember that just because a helmet says it has universal fit, doesn't mean that it does. I recommend trying them on over purchasing on teh interwebs.

Jul 2009
    if the helm fits wear it and have fun, a good pair of biking shorts are nice to have, if your seat is,nt well padded.

Members who have read this thread: 0