What kind of helmet do you wear?- Mtbr.com

View Poll Results: What is your helmet style of choice?

Voters
552. You may not vote on this poll
  • Helmets are for kids. I'm a badass and don't wear one

25 4.53%
  • Full face dirt-bike style. I'm a bad ass, and take some gnarly hits

53 9.60%
  • Standard bike helmet. I don't crash too often and they're really light

404 73.19%
  • Skateboard helmet. Nice fit only problem is I look like a giant phallis riding a bike

70 12.68%

Apr 2008

What kind of helmet do you wear?

Just getting back into biking after a long hiatus and I just bought a 2007 K2 Lithium 3.0 to welcome me back. However, I am currently helmetless. Just wanna know what the all-mountain cool kids are wearing these days? I see a lot of full face dirtbike-style helmeting going on, but a part of me says you should only be wearing one of those if you're getting to your destination via chairlift (or some other motorized device that gets you to the top of the hill). By the same token, when I think of your "standard" bike helmet I think of posers in Trek jerseys and spandex on bike paths.

So, what do you bad asses wear on the trails? Care to share some particularly good offerings from both sides of the fence? Thanks.

Edit: Please take no offense to my Poll Comic Relief.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    I wear a Bell Variant for my XC\AM riding.

Apr 2008
    I do not know what that is...

...but thanks to the power of the internet now I do.

mtbr member
    Skate style helmets have a hard outer shell. Gives me a warm and fuzzy when faced with rocky technical declines.

tk

Apr 2008
    I'm looking at the Fox Flux and thinking that's where I'm headed. Seems like the best of all worlds. Light and airy, yet covers a good portion of the back of the head, and looks killer.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    right now I'm helmetless, but I'm getting a Giro Hex when I get the money. Its kind of a combo between a skater lid and an XC helmet
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    I use both... we need a "both" option!

Apr 2008
    I have a $20 skateboard helmet that I got from Big 5.

mtbr member
    I use both. The full face for shuttles and chairlifts. The XC helmet for all trail riding that I have to earn my turns. There will be rare occasions where I will wear the full face on a up/down trail ride if the descent has some serious gnar, but I would not ride with one on while climbing to the top.
    I would go with a XC lid until you feel your skills justify the full face helmet.
    My two cents.

Fall guy
    Giro Hex. Light and breathable like a XC helmet, but more rugged looking.

one less car
    got a '07 Giro Havoc
    nothing in life is real, so if anything goes wrong, blame the dead guy

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    also rockin the hex light and comfy

mtbr member
    I wear a regular Specialized Chimonix helmet most of the time. If I'm on some rougher trails or if it's cold I will wear my Vigor skate helmet - it offers more protection but is heavier and much less ventilated (thus better for winter riding). I also have a full face but there's no way I'm wearing it anywhere but a bike park or a shuttle run - too not, especially if you are trying to breathe - like on a long climb, not to mention very heavy.

mtbr member
    Bell Faction Dirt lid.

mtbr member
    Giro E2
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

Dirt Deviant
    I have a $hitload of helmets. Fullface, skateboard style, XC with visor and one with no visor.
    I wear my fullface the most. Skate helmet for my night rides (headlamp mounted on it) and XC helmet for light riding.
    When I jam to the store on a bike path I usually don't wear one.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    A 2001 Bell Image Pro.(hardly used) I tried on some up- to-date helmets not too long ago, and they seem to run a little smaller than some helmets of days past. But the Pro Tec skate helmet was a good fit.

squish is good
    You left out the all of the above option. I ride full face for DH, standard for AM and XC rides, skate helmet for jumping and light freeride, and lidless for tootling around campus.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

mtbr member
    Giro Xen for XCish type stuff, Giro Remedy for the scary stuff.

The Xen's suuuuper comfy.

DPL
    Helmet Wearer
    Mar 2008
    I wear a TSG Evolution, which I absolutely love. It's insanely comfortable and makes me feel like I'm wearing something that will actually protect me if and when I need it to.

I'm looking at getting a Giro Remedy as well for slightly crazier stuff...

mtbr member
    Flux looked good to me, but no one locally had one to try on. I went with a xen, it is a great helmet and you can find on line deals and get it relatively cheap. I tried one on at one of the big box type sporting goods stores, then bought if on the net. Saved a bundle. That being said, I like the Hex, and had a giro Animas before and it was great as well. I like the Giro retention system.

~I Ride In Circles ~
    Older GT helmet for mountain biking.
    Giro Monza helmet for the road bike.

I like how the Monza fits.. so I might look into a new Giro helmet for mountain biking.
    ~ it's all good ~

Hardtail Warrior
    I have the Flux.. it has been great for me. I never notice the weight or heat issues. The look is really cool for someone like my brother but I'm the type of person who doesn't look good with anything on my head lol. I had to get the desert camo because that's all that was in stock at my local shop. I really wanted black camo. It does match my desert camo riding shorts though so that's cool. You should get it, you won't be disappointed.

person
    Currently wear a Giro Havoc. Once I crash it bad enough or if it gets too dingy I'm gonna pick up a Giro Hex, or Xen if I can find one at a good price.
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

mtbr member
    Giro Xen in digital camo. Nice and light, good fit, and the white is cool in the summer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Now wearing Fox Flux Black Camo (07). Next time I would buy Giro Xen or MET Kaos.

MTB SOCAL
    I have 3 helmets.

For shuttle rides, I have a Troy Lee full face helmet.

For aggressive / technical trails, I have a Met Parachute helmet.

For XC / trail riding, I have a Bell Xray. This is by far the helmet I wear the most.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    wheres the "all of the above" option?thats me.

mtbr member
    Giro Flak lid for most riding

Giro Havoc for longer/all day type rides

the WALKING DEAD
    Jun 2006
    If you can picture your head from the top down, oval heads should look at Giro, round heads should look at Bell. I have a Giro Xen and it is the best helmet I've owned. I got last years model as a close-out for around $80.
    Your momma's so nasty, she keeps ice between her legs just to keep the crabs fresh.

EastBaySteez
    Giro Remedy for DH/FR or gnarly trails

Azonic Surround Sound for everything else.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Fox Flux for me.
    Put something exciting between your legs. Ride a mountain bike.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    Giro Xen for everyday rides around town and on the trail in the flats. Giro Remedy for DH/FR days or when I'm up in the mountains.

Jun 2005
    I rock the Giro Xen (w/ the white digital print - siiiick) and for my full-face I have the 661 Comp

This guy
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
    I'm looking at the Fox Flux and thinking that's where I'm headed. Seems like the best of all worlds. Light and airy, yet covers a good portion of the back of the head, and looks killer.
    I got the grey camo, i like it!
    RIDE

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Fox Flux on the trails...

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    ccm hockey helmet

oh Lucky me
    http://pro-tec.net/bike/helmets/cyphon/cyphon.html

this is the one i rock, its standard helmet meet skate style. its got the low profile of a skate style with the ventilation of a standard. kinda like the fox flux...
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

mtbr member
    Fox Flux for all AM/XC riding. Very well ventilated and comfy. Doesn't move around at all on the head, but doesn't feel like it's cutting off blood flow either. Washable liner and comes with an extra.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I tried on so so many helmets. Bell X-ray and Giro Xen fit me the best in a small.

But I'd really like to see more thought put into the design of XC full face helmets.....You know, competition for the MET Parachute.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I recently bought a new helmet. Went with the Fox Flux after looking at the Giro Hex, Xen, and a couple of Specialized helmets. Used my REI dividend and 20% off coupon, so the helmet ended up being free!

my fun has a hurting
    depends on what i'm doing:

commuting/road/trail - fox flux
    urban/park/ray's - gyro flak
    dh/fr - gyro remedy (soon to be 661 evolution)

Off the back...
    Catlike Kompact - if it ain't Euro-trash, I won't wear it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Protec/Xen/D2.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Fox Flux

OnTheTrailAgain
    Giro Encinal now, thought about the Xen,
    but managed to find what I really wanted
    and I have a new Giro Hex on the way.

Love the Hex's more rugged look and one of a kind design.

When you see a Hex, you won't confuse it with anything else.

Last edited by 2ndgen; 04-12-2009 at 10:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Some sorta Trek helmet with a nice fit system. Its a normal XC helmet. I wear it doing all kinds of stuff- urban jumping, trails, even riding my road bike (visor and all). I've crashed a fair bit an noticed that at the speeds I do, its rare for my head even to contact the ground, given how I land, so I figure the basic xc lid is appropriate for what I do.
    I have considered a skate (or snowboard) helmet for winter use, though. Partly because ice = more crashes (or not, with studded tires) and partly because with fewer vents, it would be warmer (or not, if I can't fit a hat under it comfortably).

mtbr member
    A Protec B2 sxp
    http://pro-tec.net/bike/helmets/b2/b2.html
    Also a Giro Hex

Depending on where and for how long I'll be riding, the rockier the terrain the more likely I'll be wearing the pisspot. Saving up for a new full face after the old one's jaw guard cracked (one too many face/granite interactions).

mtbr member
    The look and design of the Protec helmets appear really nice. I have a couple questions about fit.

Giro and Bell helmets look really "tall" on my head, the Fox Flux fits the shape of my dome a little better.. how does your Protec helmet sit on your head? Does it feel like it covers your head well? (specifically, the back)

mtbr member
    Well, my B2 is quite a lot deeper than the Hex. The front comes right down to my eyebrows and my ears are well into the cutouts. It certanly doesn't feel like it's sitting 'on top' of my head, it's more of a head inside the helmet feeling.

It's also quite tight, it's very comfortable but an X-large is definately smaller than a Giro Large/Xlarge. Track one down and try it on, it's the only way you'll find out how it fits for certain.

mtbr member

Giro Xen

Giro Xen it's awesome

Jan 2009
    Giro Xen the 09 Fabric covered one .. man these things are super comfy...

local trails rider
    Mainly a "standard bike helmet".
    The Full Face comes out when I plan to ride down, but not up, some steep and rocky places.

talentless hack
    I wear a Bell Variant for trail rides on my Reign. I have a Giro Flak I wear when riding my STP in the city.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I use a fox flux for now. I've always been a dirt bike/atv guy so i stick with brands I know are tough. When i go full face i'll probably go 661 or maybe troy lee

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spcarter
    right now I'm helmetless, but I'm getting a Giro Hex when I get the money. Its kind of a combo between a skater lid and an XC helmet
    BINGO!!

mtbr member
    I switch between a Giro Havoc and a 661 Mullet. If it is really hot out or for lighter riding, I were the Giro. The Mullet is for when it is cooler or when I need the extra protection.
    '19 Surly Krampus '18 Soma Wolverine '16 Giant Anthem SX '12 Soma Analog SS '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '86 Fuji Club

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Fox Flux. And I'll need another one now, cos the last one saved my head when I crashed into a pine tree. Excellent helmet.

Jan 2009
    I have one of my old pro-tec brain buckets from my skater days that I where all the time now. I take it off for the steep, long ascents where I'm going slower than I would if I were walking. I'll probably get a Specialized Deviant at some point as it looks like it stays pretty cool and gives you that confidence boost when staring down a gnarly technical descent. I feel like normal XC helmets have a serious dork factor going on, but I might still look into a Giro Xen as my XC helmet.

mtbr member
    I where a standard MTB lid but I crash often, I really like my Fox Flux I guess if I had the option I would have bought the light beige option vs. black but even the black seemd pretty cool in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
    Just getting back into biking after a long hiatus and I just bought a 2007 K2 Lithium 3.0 to welcome me back. However, I am currently helmetless. Just wanna know what the all-mountain cool kids are wearing these days? I see a lot of full face dirtbike-style helmeting going on, but a part of me says you should only be wearing one of those if you're getting to your destination via chairlift (or some other motorized device that gets you to the top of the hill). By the same token, when I think of your "standard" bike helmet I think of posers in Trek jerseys and spandex on bike paths.

So, what do you bad asses wear on the trails? Care to share some particularly good offerings from both sides of the fence? Thanks.

Edit: Please take no offense to my Poll Comic Relief.

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm running a Giro Semi MX...3/4 face or skater style, but still a bike helmet. Doesn't quite fit into the categories.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

EastBaySteez
    I've been rocking a Giro Semi for a long time now. Super stoked on how it fits and holds up.

I just started riding a Bern helmet. Great new company, give their helmets a look at guys.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Giro Xen, and MET Parachute.. The MET fits me better, and despite weighing twice as much as the Xen, it feels lighter..

mtbr member
    I selected standard bike helmet which is what I wear most of the time, but I also have a full face helmet for more aggressive trail riding.
    2009 Trek 6700
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Columbia Edition

mtbr member
    I have a 661 Strike Full Face which I used to use but now not so much, figured it's overkill.
    a 661 Dirtlid which I use 90 percent of the time and a Giro Phase (super streamline hardcore XC helmet lol) for XC rides.

Perpetual Hack
    Giro Hex or CF Remedy as requied.

m

mtbr member
    I have a 661 Full coverage. I also have a Fox Flux or trail riding. 2nd one the first saved my life, it's on display at the lbs. and a Giro Animas i use for night light helmet.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    A 4-5 year old fullface from walmart. Lol. I swear, the amount of hits this has taken, it should be broken. I was riding with a bell faction but my dog chewed the straps off. Getting another faction this month hopefully.

mtbr member
    fox flux. good coverage. vents well.

Upgrade your life
    Black Fox Flux on the trails. Skate helmet and hand socks when i ride in the car with my gf.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by midas
    Giro Xen, and MET Parachute.. The MET fits me better, and despite weighing twice as much as the Xen, it feels lighter..
    Does the MET Parachute sit lower on the head than the Xen?

Sucks not having a place to try it on at......or is there? Is there a store online that will accept returns if it doesn't fit?

mtbr member
    I ride a R.E.D. Trance snowboard/ski/BMX lid I got up at snowshoe this past december. fits incredibly well, and it's got bits that cover my ears so they don't freeze and fall off in the cold weather
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    My butthole would pucker and invert until I was inside-out before I got to the bottom.

mtbr member
    Giro Hex rocks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Fox Transition, like it a lot so far.

mtbr member
    Depends on the riding, trail riding, skate helmet (my trail riding includes drops+jumps with some sick downhills.)
    For DH, Full face mx style
    On the road no helmet.
    Build.
    Ride.
    Repeat.

I Rode a Metric Century!
    I wear a Louis Garneau, I love it and recommend it a lot. See my avitar

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by Committee-X
    Fox Transition, like it a lot so far.
    Would you mind posting pics of you wearing this? None of my LBSs have it in stock yet, and I don't want to have to get it on the net, site unseen. I just wanted to see how it looks, and I'm having a hard time finding info on it.
    What size do you wear? What's your general head shape like? Have you tried other similar (i.e., skate-style) helmets that you could compare it to. I'm considering this and the 661 Mullet.

TIA
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel
    Would you mind posting pics of you wearing this? None of my LBSs have it in stock yet, and I don't want to have to get it on the net, site unseen. I just wanted to see how it looks, and I'm having a hard time finding info on it.
    What size do you wear? What's your general head shape like? Have you tried other similar (i.e., skate-style) helmets that you could compare it to. I'm considering this and the 661 Mullet.

TIA
    No problem TIA, here's a couple of snapshots form side and front. I wear size S/M. Mind you my head is a little on the long side, so I think it would fit even a lot better for those with more proportional head. I used to wear is the Bell Faction, I love the feel and fit of that helmet too, but it's slightly heavier. The transition feels and weight like a cross country helmet but with a skate/bmx shape. Have you check your local REI stores, I see them in stock from time to time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I currently rock a specialized instict in matte black...I have a head that is in between medium/large sizes....I have found that alot of companies tend to run small and I always end up with a large helmet and needless to say I always look like a giant penis rolling down the trail. With the instinct I fit into a medium and the phallus facor is gone. Plus the instict has that aggresive look that I like...its kind of like the giro Xen

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...model=Instinct Helmet

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hey OP, it's spelled "Phallus", but I agree, my Giro Flak totally looks like a mushroom tip...

mtbr member
    Flux......

mtbr member
    I wear a Specialized Skillet. It looks massive on me but it comes in handy.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by Committee-X
    No problem TIA, here's a couple of snapshots form side and front. I wear size S/M. Mind you my head is a little on the long side, so I think it would fit even a lot better for those with more proportional head. I used to wear is the Bell Faction, I love the feel and fit of that helmet too, but it's slightly heavier. The transition feels and weight like a cross country helmet but with a skate/bmx shape. Have you check your local REI stores, I see them in stock from time to time.
    It's a little late, but I saw your reply just now. Thanks for the pics.

The Transition was finally available at an LBS and I got it a couple of weeks ago. I originally wanted the Charcoal, but 1) it wasn't available and 2) even if it was, I didn't like how the gloss on the white looked and figured the Charcoal would've looked similar. I played it safe and got the matte black (L/XL) and am happy with it.

OT... Committee-X, where do originally hail from?

PS
    "TIA" isn't my name. It's short for "thanks in advance"
    Last edited by r1Gel; 07-24-2009 at 07:29 AM.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    flux.

Habitual Line Stepper
    May 2009
    After spending almost an entire weekend driving around a trying helmets on a got a Fox Flux as it fit my melon the best

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I wear a Giro Remedy almost any time im out on trails. Whenever i fall off my bike i always either get bucked off it or go over my handlebars, and everytime ive went down my face has gone dirt first. I dont do any really gnarly trails, but i feel that my teeth/face is too important for me to bust up, even if some ppl think i look like a poser.

Don't ride a Trek anymore
    Sep 2008
    Been using a ProTech skate helmet, but finally ordered a legit bike helmet this morning, a Bell Variant

Stump McBeefknuckle
    I prefer skate lids. I used a Giro Flak last year and I'm using a Bell Faction this year. I think I liked the Giro better.

I'm with stupid
    giro xen

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    I wear a Giro Remedy almost any time im out on trails. Whenever i fall off my bike i always either get bucked off it or go over my handlebars, and everytime ive went down my face has gone dirt first. I dont do any really gnarly trails, but i feel that my teeth/face is too important for me to bust up, even if some ppl think i look like a poser.
    Learn to fall.

Or whatever, if it works for you, then it works. But for the most part if you fall right you don't really get banged up and your face won't hit the ground.

I'm in the same boat as most people here. Normal helmet when I have to climb. Full-face when I don't. For jumping I usually go back and forth depending on how big the jumps are.
    Speed has never killed anybody. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you.

www.danwalkerphotovideo.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hello all my first post, cool!
    I use a Fox Flux, great helmet.

mtbr member
    i bought met kaos and pretty happy so far

Aug 2006
    I have both a full face (my ex moto lid) and a skate style. I don' t know if it's the shape of my head or what, but skate styles are never very comfortable, and always kinda sit on top of my head instead of around it. I'm always worried about gaining a neck injury to save a head injury with one on.

redefined
    UVEX. Best helmets by far. Nothing else comes close. The build quality alone is far superior than any other helmet I've seen, and the fit and comfort is awesome. Customer service is great too should you ever need a crash replacement. I have a Giro Xen too and that's pretty nice.
    Last edited by lostmaniksoul; 07-31-2009 at 07:10 AM.
    And though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours...I simply am not there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    wrong thread.. post moved,
    sorry!
    Last edited by Affe; 01-19-2010 at 11:40 AM.

mtbr member
    I picked the first option, After looking at various bike helmets I am not the least bit impressed with the build quality or protection quality at all. I will get one sooner or later, and its looking like a skate/bmx helmet or something full face with at least moderate protection.

mtbr member
    Depends on where I'm riding : for genuine AM I use my Fox Flux, although in cold winter weather a skatehelmet is warmer. For bikepark/chairlift stuff I prefer a full face helmet.

AND BTW : ANYONE RIDING MTB WITHOUT A HELMET IS BIG FOOL and I'm being very polite . Watch videos on youtube and you'll know why

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmx1
    Depends on where I'm riding : for genuine AM I use my Fox Flux, although in cold winter weather a skatehelmet is warmer. For bikepark/chairlift stuff I prefer a full face helmet.

AND BTW : ANYONE RIDING MTB WITHOUT A HELMET IS BIG FOOL and I'm being very polite . Watch videos on youtube and you'll know why

There is nothing more dangerous than a false sense of security.

I heart the drops

I have a couple

My helmet collection is as diverse as my bikes
    What kind of helmet do you wear?-helmets-002.jpg
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Giro Semi MX---i was liking the looks of this one.... but they discontinued it...... wish the 661 would come out... prob. go for the F14 for now...

One Love
    Nov 2009
    I ride a protec skate lid in the summer and for less agressive trail riding, an a bellistic full face in the winter and for some enduro/freeride. The fullface is nice on the icey trails here in new england...
    Hardtail reduces consciousness to a primal state of reacting. Show me that full squishers.

Members who have read this thread: 0