What kind of Gloves do you wear?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What kind of Gloves do you wear?

So, I have an old pair of Pearl Izumi gloves that appear to still be functional (these are like 12 years old) but was thinking that an upgrade may be in order...

what do you guys use and how do you like them...is there enough padding etc or what...

let us know!
    Custom Performance Apparel for the Trails
    Surfmonkey Gear

mtbr member
    Some Sombrio Forensic gloves in the summer. No back of hand protection, but light, breathable, and work fine.
    Some Dakine Cross-X gloves for colder/gnarlier stuff. More padding, more protection.

Had Fox Digit gloves for about 3-4 years prior to buying these 2 pairs.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rmasse10
    So, I have an old pair of Pearl Izumi gloves that appear to still be functional (these are like 12 years old) but was thinking that an upgrade may be in order...

what do you guys use and how do you like them...is there enough padding etc or what...

let us know!
    **** - i wish i could make gloves last 12 years i rip through them every 6 months or so

I do like the fox attack or any 661 glove - the digits have wierd padding on them that seem to actually hurt my hand when riding

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty
    **** - i wish i could make gloves last 12 years i rip through them every 6 months or so

I do like the fox attack or any 661 glove - the digits have wierd padding on them that seem to actually hurt my hand when riding
    here are some we made for a professional Jet Ski Athlete for a competition...these are impact resistant...all energy is transferred away from the body...these are military grade!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=645402
    Surfmonkey Gear

ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty

Just ordered some 661 gloves. I measured out at a size nine/medium, but they showed up in the mail yesterday and they were really snug. I think I need a large.

funny, I take a large in Fox, sombrio, AXO; and apparently 661. But, with the last two pairs I bought (Oakley and EVS), the Larges have been too big.
    Last edited by dulyebr; 10-06-2010 at 10:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Fox Blitx motocross gloves. They vent well, feel nice and lightweight and protect very well too. They look brand new after tons of crashes and 2 full years of use.

tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Most certainly NOT mtb gloves. I only wear the best. And I don't give a jack flip what people think. I have more reasons than the next guy for protecting every single damn part of my body the best it can be protected.

MTBR review on the Hope skewers
    Quote Originally Posted by Get A Clue
    Weaknesses: Doesn't work when used incorrectly

mtbr member
    I always buy the higher end Motocross specific gloves,they can take more abuse,besides,I can jump off my mountain bike and go rip up a MX track without changing gloves!!!

mtbr member
    I've used Fox, 661, Race Face, Troy Lee... they all suck in comparison to Mechanix gloves you can get at any auto shop or Home Depot!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Fox Dirt Paw. i like em, think they were around $25

local trails rider
    I go to a shop and see if they have something that fits. A few shops here carry the Yoko brand and their size 10 is just right for me. A pair seems to last at least a couple of years in my use. No padding for me, please.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

GAME ON!

thor phase

fox dirtpaw

i alternate between these two. the dirt paws are a bit thicker but the thors have been through more and have so far been unscathed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Fox Digit, 3 years old and still going.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Depends on the trail and the weather. For hot non technical days I wear 661 Raji's because they breath so well. When the trail gets a little crazier I will wear a fox digit or Royal glove that has a bit more protection. Heck, for most rides I carry a extra set of gloves in my back pack, one to replace the sweaty gloves after climbing and a more durable glove for the decent. In the winter (mild) I wear Fox Polar Paw.

dude
    I just got myself a set of Giro DJ's. Awesome glove. Fit is incredible (like other giros) ventilation is good. Colors and patterns are kinda fruity, but whatever

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Mizuno techfire g3.

I have the really old pair about 5 years old and still using them, but these are similar. They grip great, no cushions or anything to distort the feel of the bars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Do any of the previously mentioned gloves provide serious protection for the radial nerve? It seems that I can find plenty of gloves with padding for the ulnar, or even some for the radial. However, none really fully cover the radial nerve. I currently use the Fox Reflex Gel gloves, which worked well until I borrowed a bike that was set up poorly and caused my hand an injury; I get lots of pain and weakness in my hand from pressure on my radial nerve when riding. I'm doing pt to recover from it, but I also want to ensure it doesn't happen again. Any thoughts?

PS: I'm a percussionist and would love to retain the full functionality of my hand while still enjoying every second of such an awesome "hobby."

mtbr member
    mechanics gloves from home depot. Cheap, durable, find them anywhere. No padding, which I prefer. I like to feel the bike.

meow meow
    rav x enduro gloves. not much padding, just to keep a layer between my skin and the grip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulentfox
    mechanics gloves from home depot. Cheap, durable, find them anywhere. No padding, which I prefer. I like to feel the bike.
    Does anyone ever ask you about the gloves?
    Surfmonkey Gear

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    dakina coverts. I like me the terry clothe thumb 9 bucks from jenson.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    fox incline - full finger glove, minimal, no padding. Good summer glove.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Most the time I don't wear gloves. My usual statement is; the only thing you can do with gloves on is pee your pants. Hell I was a sawyer on a fire crew and never wore gloves, pounded many miles of fire line without gloves as well as 15 years in the wood without them. It has to be very cold before I even need to put them on in the winter which makes it nice when I run my duck and goose calls, gloves mess with the sounds they put out. But when i do wear gloves I prefer the Mechanix gloves, they make fingerless with some padding as well as full finger with and without padding. These gloves are built better then any bike glove I have seen and are generally cheaper then bike gloves.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    In my gear bag, I have 4 sets of gloves. 2 are whatever the local motocross store has on sale and 2 are just mechanics type work gloves. Anything that stops debris from going into my skin while my hands go forward to catch me.

When the motocross store clearances out last season's gloves they're only $5-$10 a pair. I snatch up one or 2 pair, depending on the price and if I like the looks. lol
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

mtbr member
    i love my POC gloves. pricey, yes. but they are awesome and very durable.

mtbr member
    Summer ride : Giant XC Great air ventilation.
    Winter ride: Lizzard skins Blizzard front back

Off the back...
    Thor MX gloves. My income depends on my ability to type and point at people [I'm not angry, I'm just pointing - "I know you, I know you"], so a durable, comfortable glove is important to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    Thor MX gloves. My income depends on my ability to type and point at people [I'm not angry, I'm just pointing - "I know you, I know you"], so a durable, comfortable glove is important to me.
    What do you do for a living that you point at people...conductor?
    Surfmonkey Gear

J:
    Any w/ pinky and ring finger protection? hard to find a good pair

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillOG
    Any w/ pinky and ring finger protection? hard to find a good pair
    Not unless you buy streetbike gloves like mine. Some have those 2 fingers sewn together. I just think that would make it easier to break both fingers in a crash.
    MTBR review on the Hope skewers
    Quote Originally Posted by Get A Clue
    Weaknesses: Doesn't work when used incorrectly

Members who have read this thread: 0