What helmets are ya'll using?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

What helmets are ya'll using?

I'm reasonably unimpressed with my Giro E2, and need to replace it. At less than a year old, it's never been crashed on, but is cracked in two places. (I think the airlines did this, but I know it wasn't me.) The felt is peeling off all the pads too, which leaves a yucky, non-porous layer against my skin. I'm thinking about a Louis Garneau. Any thoughts?

contains quinine
    I'm a sweater, (yeah yeah, you know what I mean) so the inside pads, etc on my helmets wear out after a year and a half or so of use. As far as what brand, I use Bell because they fit the best, and becuase last year's models are always on sale somewhere.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Jan 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    I'm reasonably unimpressed with my Giro E2, and need to replace it. At less than a year old, it's never been crashed on, but is cracked in two places. (I think the airlines did this, but I know it wasn't me.) The felt is peeling off all the pads too, which leaves a yucky, non-porous layer against my skin. I'm thinking about a Louis Garneau. Any thoughts?
    Both my Helmets are Garneau. They have held up great! I Highly recommend them.
    More importantly, does the Garneau fit you well? Giro helmet are a terrible fit on my noggin.

don't try this at home
    i have an E2 and it's fine. i got it cuz it was on sale and is the same color as my bike. i've had it for about a year now and no probs.

i also have a limar and the rivets that hold the straps together have rusted. it still works fine but it's strange to have rust on your helmet somewhere.

Perpetually single track

Bell arc's -> about $25

Disposable...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

mtbr member
    I didn't like the way my E2 fit either.I tried on a Xen and was very suprised that these two lids were from the same manufacture.I love the fit of the Xen and hated the E2.I see where 661 has entered the helmet market.Looks cool, but I don't know how they fit.

pepito
    Jun 2004
    a cheap ($45) specialized lid. i'm a cheap bastard, so spendy helmets are not on my list. i've had bell and giro in the past and hated both. the specialized looks cool, keeps my head relatively cool, and it fits like a glove. as others have said, certain brands fit certain people better than others. i think i'll take a look at the garneau's in the future, they look like some pretty sweet helmets.

the_dude

Jul 2004
    I've been using a Bell Influx for quite a few years. That sucker saved me this past Saturday. I took a header over the SS while navigating a tight turn that went downhill. I went over the handlebars and landed on the front part of the helmet. It shattered part of the helmet but I walked away with just a very minor headache.

The Giro helmets never fit my odd shaped head very well. Just never felt quite right.........

Nothing against Giro, though. My brother swears by them.

Rollin' a fatty
    I also have an E2 (Special Edition Orange/Ti) and have no complaints about it. Before the E2 I used a Specialized S1 and loved the fit but didn't last long.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

Ol' Giro Torero

It's quite old now... but gets the job done....

Cracker-magnon
    Get what fits your head. I am using a Bell Influx, and like it a bunch, it fit much better than the Giros, on my particular head. It is worth going places and trying them on before you buy. I think I went to 3 or 4 shops. I tried on the Influx at a different shop than usual since my LBS was out of stock, but went to them to order and buy it.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

mtbr member

I just picked up a Bell X-Ray after killing my Giro Animas. It is way more comfy than either the Giro Animas or my older E2. Plus it was on sale..can't beat that.

blame me for missed rides
    giro aquila coz it was on sale

try driving your car less
    bell X-ray. I have a big head and tried on a ton of helmets and this one fit and is pretty light and adjustable. go for coolmax pads.
    one thing that I didnt do which I now suggest: if you use a helmet mounted light for night riding, bring the mount and make sure it fits the helmet. mine doesnt really work well with my helmet (the way the vents are and the length of the velcro on the light mount), so it's sort of on the side and i am afraid of it falling off all the time. if it doesnt work, maybe the shop can help you sort that out. if it's good shop with clever people on the job.
    don't cheap out on a helmet. get one that fits with good venting and not too heavy. that way you will forget you are wearing it until it saves your head.
    helmets don't last forever. get a new one.
    Only boring people get bored.

Aug 2004

Giro Xen.

I've been wearing a Giro Xen this summer and I couldn't be happier !
    I wear it on my road bike because it's so comfortable, and did eleven hours of singlespeeding the last two days without a gripe. Since I started riding a rigid bike again I found I noticed my helmet fit was more important and the Xen stays put like a hat !

Jefe'

34N 118W

my moment of Xen

Quote Originally Posted by PinsNeedles
    I've been wearing a Giro Xen this summer and I couldn't be happier !
    I wear it on my road bike because it's so comfortable, and did eleven hours of singlespeeding the last two days without a gripe. Since I started riding a rigid bike again I found I noticed my helmet fit was more important and the Xen stays put like a hat !

Jefe'
    the Xen is very comfy. Just picked one up on sale for $89 and it does fit very snug, almost like you don't need the straps, but it's definitely warmer than my last Giro Gila. Even with more(?) and bigger vents it's kinda toasty. It's a keeper though, I'll just have to wear it off the back of my head to keep cool

HW

Jan 2004
    I've got a Limar, a Met and a Giro Xen. The Xen's easily the most comfortable of the three and, six months in, looks like new.

King Pin

Good job! Louis Garneau

I bought one earlier this summer...couldn't be happier! Nice fit!

Wore my old Bell for some reason yesterday, and the perspiration literally POURED into my eyes. Not so with the other.

Aug 2004
    roadie giro eclipse

nice deals right now are bell ghisallo - 65$ jenson
    giro monza - 70$ nashbar
    bell furio - 50$ nashbar
    bell alchera - 42$ nashbar

i got gypped on mine... i would get a catlike if i had to purchase again

mudnthebloodnthebeer

Fit's the thing......

"I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."
    Thanks to my Giro lid, I've avoided it. If memory serves, this was an Eclipse. I don't live somewhere where cooling's often a factor so I can't speak to that. This one had travelled extensively for about a year before saving my bacon with no obvious signs of distress. I've got a large, somewhat oblong noggin and Giros fit it like a glove.

Giro had a decent crash-replacement program when this one went to the happy hunting grounds. Their flash website is far too annoying to navigate with my dialup connection, but I'm sure the current version of that information is on there somewhere.
    Last edited by quaffimodo; 09-07-2004 at 01:47 PM. Reason: how about just 'cuz I can?

----woof----
    Bell X-ray. I've tried other brands and none fit my melon better than Bell. On the plus side Bells tend to be more reasonably priced than comparable lids.

Drinkin' Buddy

love the Xen!

I had a torero for a while and it was nice 'till I found Xen on sale. The Xen fits really well and has more vents for cooling. I'll probably buy another one just in case they stop making 'em.
    Got Beer?

highly visible

Bell Influx here...

Bell helmets fit my head better than Giro, others have the opposite experience.

I'm quite happy with my Influx, and I believe they may be on sale for $40-ish at Performance right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    a cheap ($45) specialized lid. i'm a cheap bastard, so spendy helmets are not on my list.
    the_dude
    I can relate, I'm a cheap Porkchop. My hat is a closeout GT Pegasus that I bought from Nashbar about three years ago. It isn't the most stylish but fits great and is comfortable. The first helmet was a Bell Forza? and the fit sucked. It was always tipping forward during the rough spots. My Pegasus never moves. Most of the bike gear that I have is last year's closeout special of some kind. This thread has gotten me thinking about how I would replace my hat when it dies. Mine is no longer made so how will I find one that fits liek it? The LBS scene in Evanspatch is not so good for finding a new one so I largely rely on mail order. Who made GT's helmets for them?
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

mtbr member

Influx...

Had to replace my older Giro Havoc recently after a good crash(cracked the Giro in many places!). The Influx fit better than the other 10 helmets I tried on, it was also nearly the cheapest.

MC

Jan 2004

Try a Xen

If the shell shape fits your egg shape then you will be a very happy camper.

Derailleurs owned: 0

Different

I use a flat black Pryme Mortal...

Negatives:
    -It's got no comfort.
    -Makes me sweat more in heat.

Positives:
    -Only cost about $30.
    -Matches my P.1 and both of my 29er conversions (Trek Clyde & Bianchi D.I.S.S.).
    -I like stuff that's different.

Jan 2004

Thanks!

After trying the Garneau, and coming within inches of mailordering a Giro Semi-MX (based, admittedly, just on looks - and I knew Giros fit), I settled on a Bell Alchera. It fits better than the E2 did, which fit quite well.

The skate lid suggestion was good, but I've already two - one for snow and one for park. They're both WAY too hot for CO's summers.

Jul 2004

helmut

Giro Havoc. They seem to fit my head the best and not too expensive. I like the Roc-Loc system or whatever the hell it is. It keeps the helmet from floating around. I find that Bell helmets tend to droop foward after the pads start to wear.
    I broke one Havoc in the spring; some brush covered up a stump and I became an airborn projectile. The helmet did it's job and I am unaware of any dain bramage.

rejected
    I use a yellow MSA (mine saftey appliances) helmet, with one of drevil's 'one gear, more beer' stickers. I got the helmet at work. I kid you not. This is what I wear for biking, or just a baseball hat (bosox).

Ride Bikes, Drink Beer
    I replaced my Giro Havoc this year after a nasty crash with the Bell Xray. I have a big melon and it fits great. Sounds like Bells fit big heads better.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I use Giro Semis. They fit me better than any current helmets, stay in place (even with a helmet light), provide better coverage and are cheap. Full retail is around $60 and I have paid as little as $15. I also have a Bell XRay that fits pretty well and I find the Semi is no hotter for me in most conditions. I am wearing the Semi on my current Southwest road trip (Hello from Flagstaff and the Coconino Cycles World Headquarters!)
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

34N 118W

Semi

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    I use Giro Semis.
    hey road-tripper. I just picked up a black Semi MX on ebay for $33. Maybe it'll be a good cool weather helmet for SoCal. Also planning on some helmet-cam use with it.

see ya in Vegas
    HW

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    Maybe it'll be a good cool weather helmet for SoCal.
    You may want to consider some venting mods to it. I am thinking of opening mine a bit more than I already have. It is still a tad warm, even on cool days, and I need to be cool, just in case I can do another ride with 4 women
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

Ron
    mtbr member
    i have the giro semi mx and the giro xen both in size medium

the semi is hotter and fits tighter with the supplied pads (they could be customized to fit better)

the xen has a very cooling effect and is the best fitting helmet i have ever worn