What Helmet Are you Currently Using?- Mtbr.com

Jun 2005

What Helmet Are you Currently Using?

Im looking into buying a new helmet and to help narrow my decision i figured id see what everybody else was using.

One thing i was wondering was is the Troy Lee Design-D2 bomber helmet good or is it just expensive because it says TLD's.

If that is the case with the TLD helmet what other helmets should i be looking at?

Jun 2005
    Aslo has anyone had experince with the TLD D2 Bomber helmet like how does it have good ventilation does is it seem very heavy?

Thanks in Advance

Yay! Bikes !
    My previous FF helmet of 4 years was a Bell Bellistic. Great value. Not the best ventilated and not very lightweight, but it fits me very well I got it on closeout for $39. It saved me several times.

Right now I'm liking the new Giro helmet. $99. Take a look at those.

www.giro.com

Oct 2005
    Fox Tracer, not the most ventilated, but it's winter in the NC mountains...

TLD for the summer maybe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    TLD's stuff is way overpriced. More money doesn't mean more protection or even quality. TLD is the abercrombie of bike helmets. I bought a 661 full bravo 2 and it is great, and quite inexpensive

Aug 2005
    I'm about to pick up a Specialized Deviant. The fiberglass version looks like the best bet for less than $150. Well ventilated and light.

Jul 2005
    I have a d2

mtbr member
    I run the Vigor Vamoose II in carbon and love it. It has a bucket for a chin strap so it is waaay easier to put on.... just clip and go. I hate the moto style chin straps. Plus, Vigor always hooks me up with crash replacement for a good price. Im on my 3rd Vigor and I will never run another helmet.

The Vigor is the lightest fullface helmet you can get. If you are a hardcore racer hitting 50mph, I would say get a TLD but for normal riding the Vigor fits the bill.

Jun 2005
    Alright thanks for all you replies.

N* Bomber Crew
    I currently use a 661 Full Comp. But I just picked up a Specialized Deviant on order so I'll be using that. I really wanted a TLD but its a lot of money. I'm not sure if its better or not, and a lot of people swear by them. To me its just the awesome appeal it has, they're GREAT looking helmets year after year.

I wouldn't buy one for weight savings or better ventilation (Which is why I got the deviant...) but just to look stylin' a TLD would be sweet. But 260 is a lot to pay for style....and thats the bottom line version D2 also....
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    I currently use a 661 Full Comp. But I just picked up a Specialized Deviant on order so I'll be using that. I really wanted a TLD but its a lot of money. I'm not sure if its better or not, and a lot of people swear by them. To me its just the awesome appeal it has, they're GREAT looking helmets year after year.

I wouldn't buy one for weight savings or better ventilation (Which is why I got the deviant...) but just to look stylin' a TLD would be sweet. But 260 is a lot to pay for style....and thats the bottom line version D2 also....
    Well currently i can get it new for 145 so is it worth or are there still better helmets.

N* Bomber Crew
    A TLD D2 (A up to date model) for 145 is a great deal. I would go for it, just don't settle for something you don't like just because its deal. Having a helmet that fits great, breathes well, and is the style you like can make all the difference. Having a helmet that is "cool" to wear (Both literally and figurativley) will encourage you to wear it. Wearing helmets is awesome these days.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Jun 2005
    I use a 661 comp that I bought for 20 bux used last season on PK... anyways it just protect my head...

The one pictured is very light, great ventilation and 100% cotton.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastHucker
    I use a 661 comp that I bought for 20 bux used last season on PK... anyways it just protect my head...

The one pictured is very light, great ventilation and 100% cotton.
    It doesnt seem to fit quite right

e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
    pro-tec ace spade duuuddess!! simple is SAFE! ( 40 bucks too, not hundreds)

May 2004
    bell mirra....

i hear the spec. deviant carbon is suuuper nice.

Apr 2005
    im using a 661 comp, 50 bucks and no complaints at all.

Yay! Bikes !
    Quote Originally Posted by free-rider_down-hiller
    Well currently i can get it new for 145 so is it worth or are there still better helmets.
    yea ... pricepoint.com has the older D2 for dirt cheap in one size. Great deal if it fits!

edit: $149 ... MD/LG available.
    Last edited by Nick.; 11-06-2005 at 07:14 PM.

banned
    Troy Lee Designs D2 Carbon. I love it. Of course, after smashing my head on the ground 4 times really hard in a weekend, among many others, the liner is able to be moved inside. It still protects and is VERY hard to move. I love this thing... so light.

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick.
    yea ... pricepoint.com has the older D2 for dirt cheap in one size. Great deal if it fits!

edit: $149 ... MD/LG available.
    That ones kinda ugly id be getting the 05 kahki or black bomber one.

Jun 2005
    yeah... nothing like some extra protection

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Dumb question here...if the helmet is made of fibergalss, why not go with a regular old MX lid? Ventilation wouldn't be as good, but weight would be colse and the MX lid would probably offer better protection? Just curious.

Sin

Feb 2004
    ARAI Is the only way to go! http://www.araiamericas.com/Product_Tour.html

Jun 2005
    giro mad max2

where's the kick stand?
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddy_ryder
    giro mad max2
    ya, me too
    live to ride, ride to live

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    Troy Lee Designs D2 Carbon. I love it. Of course, after smashing my head on the ground 4 times really hard in a weekend, among many others, the liner is able to be moved inside. It still protects and is VERY hard to move. I love this thing... so light.

attention...your helmet is not safe...it may look good but once the foam has taken a major hot and condensed, then the helmet is shot
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    freeriderdownhill

did you see this

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=142534
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Eyes of the world
    thanks smt but I'm thinkin he's scared because he has been in the forum and still won't reply.

Oh and so this is not OT I wear a HJC dirtbike helmet for DH
    Find 'em hot leave 'em wet

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipV
    Dumb question here...if the helmet is made of fibergalss, why not go with a regular old MX lid? Ventilation wouldn't be as good, but weight would be colse and the MX lid would probably offer better protection? Just curious.
    There have been many posts here debating MX helmets. The skinny is that for extremely hard or high-speed impacts (like those achieved by expert DH racers), a DOT certified helmet might be preferred. The harder foam in the liner is designed for big impacts, it will save your life but transfer the hit more harshly (due to a harder liner). The softer foam in DH/BMX helmets is designed for lower speed crashes (sub- 50 mph). In addition, DH helmets tend to be lighter, cooler, and better ventilated. It really depends on what fits your particular riding style. I use a Giro Mad Max II which I am very happy with; broke my first one in a crash but prevented potential serious injury (took a digger going about ~40 mph, broke the visor off and split the liner in two places)...

Yay! Bikes !
    I agree on the kinda ugly part, but at that price it makes for a perfect lid to repaint in whatever color or style you like.

Broken and dizzy
    Another Mad Max II vote here..

Members who have read this thread: 0