What helmet is recommended for XC riding/racing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

What helmet is recommended for XC riding/racing?

I was wondering what brand/model of helmet is preferred by the XC crowd? Thank you in advance!

mtbr member
    One that fits and is cool (temperature wise). Removable visor is nice too. Different models fit different head shapes. That being said I like my Giro E2. Also color is very important, red is fast, light blue is slow.

mtbr member
    I always buy white Bell helmets. I think I have the Ghisallo (sp). I'd like to try some Giro helmets and see how they fit.
    Buy the best helmet you can afford.

mtbr member
    One other thing I require in helmets is removable pads so I can occasionally wash the smell out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by limba
    Buy the best helmet you can afford.
    Why? Not saying you're wrong but I can never see the difference between a $50 helmet and a $200 one. If it fits properly (secure without the straps and comfy), has good temp regulation, and you like the style, what's more to pay for?

mtbr member
    the only helmet that doesn't look like a mushroom on top of my head is Bell.

mtbr member
    Lots of racers in my area use the bell volt. It is a sweet helmet but because I don't have $175 just laying around I use the influx which is 1/3 the price and still a nice helmet.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Road

Most the guys I race with have road helmets. I have an old E2 with my lights strapped on it and an Ionos for the daylight. Our team is getting in Bell Volts for '09, so that will be my first Bell.

As far as MTB helmets I guess Giro has a new version of the E2, Alot of guys like the Specialized S-works and Decibel, and the Volt is popular too.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    for regular riding and training i ride the giro xen, but when it comes to races that i want to save the weight i roll with my roadie lid, a giro atmos.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I go by what fits. generally, giro is for narrower heads, bell is for round-headed people.
    I ran a Giro Animas last season, they got discontinued for '09 and they are on clearance rite now

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Our team got a deal on Specialized S-Works helmets, and I'm fully digging on mine!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It's all personal preference.

Personally I'm happy with my $40 Giant helmet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It doesn't really matter unless it fits. I think it's interesting to see Lance racing with a mtb helmet in the TOC.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have used Giro but i didn't like the rear lock thingie, i could never adjust it on the fly, i bought a Bell Sweep R and i love it, pads got all worn, stinky as hell, called Bell and they are on the mail free of charge, so bell for me!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've found the Catlike Shield-2 helmet to be great. Two of my friends have it, and I've seen many riders sporting it in races.

Whisper is also a good one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I use a Bell Volt now- it has a good front sweat pad and a removable visor when you are out training 90% on the road like I do. The best value for a helmet has to be the Trek Sonic. It has excellent ventilation as well as the best padding out there. Our team received Sonics the past four years and we were extremely happy with them. The MSRP is around $70 versus the $175 for the Volts.

Sir Hurt Locker
    I wear a Giro Havoc for all my recreational riding. But for races I feel I need to intimidate my opponents and look like a serious racer so I wear something a little more hardcore

Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    It doesn't really matter unless it fits. I think it's interesting to see Lance racing with a mtb helmet in the TOC.
    I think I read that was an Ionos with a specially made visor ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    i wear a standard roadie Bell Sweep..... I like the GPS adjuster on Bells a lot better than the roc-loc on Giros

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Go with fit and how many air vents you can afford/want to pay for. Almost all helmets protect exactly the same. When price goes up, weight goes down and ventilation goes up.

But most importantly, go with fit. We have an opportunity to pick our gear, unlike pros. I have a "Bell head". Bell always fits better for me. Giro pinches. Some people have "Giro heads". I always buy my helmets on clearance (last year model) and rarely pay over $50-60.

Lusus Naturae
    I like the Bell Sweep R myself.

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    I wear bell helmets because they fit the best IMO. Helmets are specific to you only. Wear what fits the best and is most comfortable.
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Not as popular but the Lazer Genesis RD road helmet fits me really well. It is really nicely shaped (low contour) and the adjustment system is great. Jenson has them on clearance as well btw:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...dition+08.aspx

mtbr member
    I'm rockin the new Bell Volt, it's a sweet crossover! Good for road, CCX and MTB. Fits awesome and superlight-

Members who have read this thread: 0