What helmet? Off-road, Road.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

What helmet? Off-road, Road.

Ok so i need to get a helmet. Im going to use my bike for trails, jumps, dirt tracks etc but im doing the London Bikathon in June which is on usual busy London roads. My question is i ideally want to grab a 661 full face helmet but feel if i do that im going to look like an idiot riding on the road with it plus restrictions of eyesite etc. What is everyone's opinion on this?

Advice?

Thanks

mtbr member
    It seems like you should buy the full face because that would be good to have doing jumps and dirt tracks. Id say if you can afford it get a second "road-friendly" helmet but if not, stick with the full face.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I dont think i will have enough money spare as i have overhauled my bike lol. Just worried about how much a full face helmet prohibits view.

keeping it dirty
    You'll definitely look like an idiot riding with a full face helmet on the road, but it's better than no helmet!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yeh that was my thought on it. I guess motor cyclists wear full face helmets lol. It is only going to be to odd ocassion on road.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Are the 661 full face helmets good for their price?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You REALLY can't afford a $35 Giro helmet? How much is the 661 FF? I know that Fox and 661 make FF helmets for about $60-$80. If you can't save an additional $35 before June...

I'm not trying to be a dick, but really, helmets are cheap enough if you shop around.

mtbr member
    If you try on a full face helmet, you shouldn't notice any restriction on your sightlines...

Pretty in Pink
    Get a full face, and pick up a walmart or target branded Bell for the road trip. Really I think its silly to be considering wearing a FF on the road. You can get a approved Bell or Giro at walmart for 15 bucks.

Protect that noggin its the only one you've got.
    "There are two ways of spreading light ...
    To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
    ~ Edith Wharton ~

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Selftest
    You REALLY can't afford a $35 Giro helmet? How much is the 661 FF? I know that Fox and 661 make FF helmets for about $60-$80. If you can't save an additional $35 before June...

I'm not trying to be a dick, but really, helmets are cheap enough if you shop around.
    Chain reaction have them for around 60. Its not that i dont have the money for a cheap one aswell i just didnt want to bother wasting the money on one that would rarely get used.

DPL
    Helmet Wearer
    Mar 2008
    Your head is important so protect it the best for what you're doing. Go with the full face. You won't be the first person to ride on the road wearing a full face helmet (I do it regularly as do plenty of others), so don't worry about it. As said before, you're far better off wearing a full face helmet on the road than no helmet!

Members who have read this thread: 0