What helmet do you use ...why?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What helmet do you use ...why?

I need to get a new helmet and wanted to get an idea of what riders thought beyond what the reviews pages have told me. I have a crack in my old Exodus. Giro wants to give me %30 off a replacement at RETAIL. After thinking about it my choices are:
    Giro Animas
    Giro E2
    Bell X-Ray
    Giro Pneumo

Oh, I ride XC. Thanks!!

I use an E2, which I bought after I retired my Exodus. Its a great XC helmet as far as my head is concerned. The fit is great, as is the ventilation. I usually am not conscious of even wearing it, even on pretty hot days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbric
    I need to get a new helmet and wanted to get an idea of what riders thought beyond what the reviews pages have told me. I have a crack in my old Exodus. Giro wants to give me %30 off a replacement at RETAIL. After thinking about it my choices are:
    Giro Animas
    Giro E2
    Bell X-Ray
    Giro Pneumo

Oh, I ride XC. Thanks!!

Apr 2004
    I really wanted to get the Animas. I thought it looked really cool and there seemed to be plenty of ventilation. I was all ready to buy it until I tried it on. I ended up getting the Bell X-ray and love it. I think the GPS retension system works better than the roc-loc on the Giros. I was reading the owner's manual and I think it said that if the helmet breaks in a crash that you can get a replacement for $30 or $35.

Complete Bastard
    I got the specialized S1. It's so ventilated it's like not wearing a helmet at all. 45 mile road rides in the sun and I don't feel overheated or unventilated at all. Check em out. The E2 is a good helmet too, my buddy wears one and loves it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Bell Ukon because it is cheap, fairly well ventilated and effective. $25 when on sale, and most importantly, it will protect my head as good as any other certified helmet. I'm basically not aware it is on (but have also never tried a $100 helmet to compare it too.)

Dec 2003
    Giro Animas
    Giro E2
    Bell X-Ray
    Giro Pneumo

Oh, I ride XC. Thanks!!
    I got the Bell Influx because I liked the one-handed adjustment. I don't know if the X-Ray has the same feature. If it's a higher-end model, it probably does.
    Last edited by Drewdane; 06-22-2004 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Brand does not appear to be autolinked

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Specialized S1.
    The shop had them on half price when I bought the bike so I ended up spending more than I wanted but less than normal for a much better helmet than I would have gotten otherwise.

I don't think any helmet is especially cool but this one is less hot than most.

Jm.

Jan 2004
    E2

bells don't fit me as well, the E2 is very well ventilated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Giro Animas
    Giro E2
    Bell X-Ray
    Giro Pneumo

Oh, I ride XC. Thanks!!
    I have pneumo and it's the best fitting helmet for me. It is very well ventilated and light. Since it's fairly expensive, I wear it only when road riding since I'm less likely to crash and need to replace it. Fot MTBing I use a Giro Gila. The fit is also very good, but not as light nor well ventilated as the Pneumo. When I need to replace it I think I'll try the E2 since it seems similar to the Pneumo, which I love.

Duc

Jun 2004
    I use a Trek helmet. Trek has a program where if you crack it, you can take it back to a dealer and they will replace the helmet for you for free.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

whichever is onsale under $50...

they all fit my head about the same (medium head, easy to fit)... most of the higher end ones have great adjustment/roc loc/straps etc.

so i just pick the coolest/modern looking one, in white (cooler, better car visibility), in medium for under $50. giro gila for mtn biking ($40 at supergo) and just ordered a giro or bell alchera at performance for road biking. main difference is the visor, but hell, makes you feel more like a roadie ;-)

john

Giro Animas
    Giro E2
    Bell X-Ray
    Giro Pneumo

Oh, I ride XC. Thanks!!
    ride:: ti hardtail

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Giro Animas
    Giro E2
    Bell X-Ray
    Giro Pneumo

Oh, I ride XC. Thanks!!
    If you haven't used a Bell before, make sure you try one before you buy. Giro's are a horrible fit for me while Bell's are great so it's possible the opposite is true for you.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Brain buckets are like saddles and shoes, you've got to try them on and use what fits. You might like the style, ventilation, weight, price or whatever better but if the helmet doesn't fit you'll not only not like it but it may not protect you as well. So, buy the one that fits. Assuming you can find a brand that fits your noggin, my order of preference in other important traits are; 1. Adjustability (I like the GPS that Bell uses) 2. Ventilation. 3. Price. 4. Looks. 5. Weight.

Jan 2004
    I use a Specialized S1. I've always stuck with Specialized because their sizes fit my narrow head better. Most other brands sit loose on my head from side to side which feels very annoying. Their old King Cobra's really got my attention and had awesome ventilation. I still think its one of th best looking lids ever. Eventually I cracked my first King Cobra and bought an S1 which was the evolution on the same helmet. They are expensive helmets but I refuse to get anything else simply due to how cool (you can take that both ways) they are.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Giro Animas
    Giro E2
    Bell X-Ray
    Giro Pneumo

Oh, I ride XC. Thanks!!
    Luckily bicycle helmets aren't much like motorcycle helmets, where going really expensive is really the only way to go if you want a good helmet, and there is a big difference in comfort and build quality between the cheapest and the most expensive. I have an E2, which I got on sale somewhere for around $100, I wouldn't have got it otherwise, I had a Havoc before and couldn't really tell any difference. I was pretty disappointed to learn this. I had a Specialized before that and can't say I've had a "bad" cycling helmet. Certainly no difference like between my $300 AGV and $500+ Arai. Wait for the new year's models to come out and the online retailers put the previous models on sale. It really comes down to colors and style, after fit is taken into consideration, of course.

Rich
    Last edited by richde; 06-22-2004 at 10:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Im using a Giro Animas at the moment for both trials and Cross Country riding. It fits very well on my head, the straps being easily adjustable and the Roc-Loc II restraint being very effective in minmizing helmet movement while riding. Moving from a Trek Team helmet, initially Giro helmets feel like they are sitting atop your head instead of around it, but as you ride you get used to this and as mentioned by those before me it feels as if your not wearing a helmet at all. The visor works great too

mtbr member

Thanks for the input...

my old Giro fit me great. So I think I have the Giro shaped head. I did try on the Louis Garneau T-Bone helmet which I did not like.
    The prices on my options are:

Bell X-Ray $64 from Performance with the 20% discount
    Giro E2 $87 total incl. tax & shipping from Giro direct
    Giro Pneumo $98 total incl. tax & shipping from Giro direct
    Giro Animas $48 from Performance with the 20% discount (only white)

I also looked at SHAIN and MET models. The SHAIN is a little out there and the MET "v dimension" is too hard to get and has no reviews anywhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trail rider and racer
    MET helmets are fantastic.

I ride the MET 5* Element and have been riding Met helmets for around 7 years or so. There fit is spot on perfect, the comfort is really good and the ventilation on the 5* Element is so insane - you never get a hot head, thats for sure. The small visor on the front is in my opinion on of the most intuitive designs I have seen, it has about 7 incremental steps and integrates lovely with the helmet. I like mine so much I am about to get a second one, so I can always have my light set up on it ready to go at 12/24hr race.

I am in Australia and though they are not the biggest seller they are very popular and and your more serious roadie or mtber wears a met....

Here is a picture of my 5* element from the back, and one of me riding with it....

Picture from cyclingnews:

Cheers
    Trevor!
    Trev!

Jan 2004

Giro E2

Yo, go with the E2 for sure, it's the most vented helmet on the market.....it's awesome, and super light around 250g....the pneumo is more of a Lance style Helemet , Le Tour 2004, here I come...

-Polaris

mtbr member

Good job!

Animas. Fits great, visor is removeable, great ventilation, easily adjustable and light.

Mar 2004
    My vote goes to Giro E2. It is light weight and ventilation is great.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Pnemo

Giro Animas
    Giro E2
    Bell X-Ray
    Giro Pneumo

Oh, I ride XC. Thanks!!
    My Pnemo is the lightest, most ventilated, and best fitting helmet I've ever owned. The POV visor works great. Here's the kicker - I broke the Roc Loc on it last week in a fall (rest of helmet is intact) and Giro is replacing the Roc Loc for free. I had to go back to my old Giro Hammerhead for a ride last night, and it felt heavy and hot. Go Pnemo, but make sure you get one that has the visor and the visor mounts. Superblow has them on sale for like $105 right now.

XCdude

I bought the bell Achera, because of weight, vents

Giro Animas
    Giro E2
    Bell X-Ray
    Giro Pneumo

Oh, I ride XC. Thanks!!
    looks and vakue for my money, on sale it was like 49.00 dollars, and the actual fit was great. The pneumo was second but a lot more money.
    Short bucket list.
    Cape Epic
    Pioneer Epic
    Swiss Epic