What FF or convertible to buy my bf? Advice please- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

What FF or convertible to buy my bf? Advice please

Hi - my bf's birthday is coming up and I'd like to get him a FF or convertible. I am looking at:

Giro Switchblade MIPS
    Leatt DBX 3.0 Enduro V2
    Fox Proframe
    Specialized S-works Dissident

Should I be seriously considering any others? Is any one of these a standout yes? Should I just buy all 4 and let him pick one? He is an XL or 61-62cm size.

Thanks for your advice!

Dirty Old Man
    Head shape may play a role here. For example, I tried on a Leatt but found it uncomfortable, meanwhile the Giro felt like an old hat. I've seen other people who have had the opposite response so this may be a situation where an I.O.U. would work well.
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I know moto helmet brands fit one head shape better than others- I am figuring out what his moto helmet is now, maybe that can help guide the search. I am definitely OK with buying them all then returning all but his favorite.

I just read an article that also suggests the Bell Full 9 and Troy D3 as options.

mtbr member
    Kali makes some nice and lightweight full face helmets. They just released the Alpine FF. I've got a Shiva 2.0 carbon and an Avatar 2.

Everyone has a different shaped noggin. Even two different lines of helmets from the same manufacturer can have different fits. My Avatar 2 is a small and the Shiva is a medium.

My GF has a medium D3...and that fits tighter than my small Kali.

Unless it's a surprise...the best way may to have him try them on at the shop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    FIT is #1 factor by far.

#2 is this for everyday riding or downhill/bike park use only. If everyday use - the convertible is the way to go. If mainly for DH an he already has a nice half shell that he likes - then get a dedicated full face.

For ME the the FIT and MIPS-spherical protection of the Bell Super DH sold me.

mtbr member
    Outside of fit - Will there be a lot of pedaling/hot weather involved? If so a Bell Super DH is something I'd definitely consider. Is this for shuttles and a little park with a side of pedaling? If so, maybe the Proframe is the right choice... FWIW a few friends own/have owned Switchblades and the consensus is it's not a crowd favorite (fit, chinbar detachment in crashes, etc).

mtbr member
    In my experience, there are fit/shape differences between models of a given brand so just going by brand might be insufficient to ensure a good comfortable fit, and for me, fit and comfort come first when selecting among helmets of a given type.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    I just picked up a Bell Super DH the other day. I can't believe how comfortable it is right out of the box. Like nice soft slippers. But on my head.

My noggin is pretty normally shaped and just under 60cm so I got a large. Was considering trying a medium but glad I didn't - this large is not loose at all.

mtbr member
    First off, you're an awesome gf!

Second, you're mixing two different style ff helmets, e.g. TLD D3 vs Fox Proframe (or TLD Stage). One is a dedicated downhill helmet where protection takes a priority over airflow (and weight to some degree), where the latters purpose is to offer protection but possibly to a lesser degree while improving airflow, weight, and convenience.

For lightweight ff: I would recommend reading the Enduro link I provided below, it reviews most of the lightweight FF helmets on the market. The Fox Proframe and the MET came out on top for their chinbar test. (To me that's important since that's the whole reason someone is wearing one of these.) I've personally owned the original version of the Bell, the Giro Switchblade, and the Fox Proframe. (Luckily I haven't tested the chinbar of any of them.) I was a bit skeptical of the Proframe but it's my favorite of the three. It breathes extremely well, it's light, has excellent visibility, and fits really well. (It comes with a number of different pads so it takes 5-20 minutes to initially setup the first time depending on how picky one is about helmet fit.) At this point the only lightweight ff or convertible that I would consider is the Proframe and the new TLD Stage. They look identical to me but I've not seen the TLD in person. Some people have said the paint quality on the preproduction TLD Stage looked bad. (I think this was on Vital?)

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/lightweigh...elmets-review/

For dedicated downhill there are a number of good options. I've own/ed a few TLD D2's and D3's but never liked them. They fit my head except placed uncomfortable pressure around my ears which I could never get past when riding. When I buy a new dedicated DH lid the Kali Shiva and the POC Cortex carbon will be the first on my list to try. (I learned more about Kali recently when buying a new half shell and really like them as a company because what they share as far as testing and brain protection.)

As others have mentioned, fit is key so make sure whatever you buy can be returned.

For reference my head is also on the larger size, 7 5/8" hat size, which I think works out to around 60.6-61cm.

Rides all the bikes!
    I just ruined a Giro Switchblade...it did it's job just fine.

That said, I am replacing it with two helmets. I find that I RARELY pull the chin bar off and put it back on. I either leave it on, or leave it off the whole ride. So I am going with a full face and a 3/4.

But...if I change my mind I wold consider the switchblade.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Cool thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I will buy 3 or 4 and let him choose based on fit and preference. I'll throw in a dedicated FF too, in case he wants to stick with his normal helmet for chill rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    Outside of fit - Will there be a lot of pedaling/hot weather involved? If so a Bell Super DH is something I'd definitely consider. Is this for shuttles and a little park with a side of pedaling? If so, maybe the Proframe is the right choice... FWIW a few friends own/have owned Switchblades and the consensus is it's not a crowd favorite (fit, chinbar detachment in crashes, etc).
    This is for when we go to Mammoth and he is bombing downhill with the locals We ride around the bay various places but I think he will keep wearing his half helmet as we do not ride aggressively together. The exception being Flow trail in Soquel- we've done it once and I'd bet if he had a FF he'd wear it next time. He helped haul someone up Braille a month or so ago, that had split his mouth to his nose crashing in a half helmet. That's kind of what prompted this topic in the first place.