What do you wear with your clipless shoes in the winter?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What do you wear with your clipless shoes in the winter?

I just got a set of Specialized Comp MTB's but I don't know what to wear with them? All I have are jeans. A buddy recommended skiing pants. Any other recommendations?

mtbr member
    I wear a pair of black long underwear bottoms over some biking shorts, complete with wool socks and gloves. Depending on how often you fall, jeans may or may not work. The windstream will freeze your jeans in a hurry. Best to get some kind of stretchy yet warm pants.

Dain Bramaged

A nice black handbag

sorry - couldn't resist
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not because I'm fast.....

tights, under something that is

Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    I just got a set of Specialized Comp MTB's but I don't know what to wear with them? All I have are jeans. A buddy recommended skiing pants. Any other recommendations?
    I wear inexpensive winter riding tights with built in crotch padding under some non-insulated snowboarding shell pants. Works well and keeps me comfy and warm.

beer thief
    I'm not sure what the shoes have to do with your question. If you're asking about winter riding pants, wind front tights are the way to go. Pearl Izumi and Cannondale make some really nice insulated ones, but you have plenty of choices.

i worship Mr T

socks.

keeps your feet much warmer than going barefoot. i definitely would not recommend stuffing your jeans into your shoes. it will be very crowded in there and you probably won't be able to fit your feet in as well. also, i'm not sure how your buddy gets his ski pants into his shoes as well as his feet. he must have very small feet, or ski pants, or something...

to keep your legs warm for winter riding get some windproof winter tights with a chamois. the Performance wind stopper tights are excellent and not outrageously expensive.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Keep The Rubber Side Down

Lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dijridoo
    sorry - couldn't resist
    Nice!
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

I railed it like Kong
    Just wear your your standard baggies and if the wind kicks up a fleece vest should be all you need.

You'll also probably need to come ride here in phoenix. I hear it's cold in other parts of the country right now.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

ballbuster

Biking tights

jeans suck for heat disapation, especially when wet. Not to mention the chafe factor.

Get yourself some biking tights. I also like to wear Smartwool socks, and when it's really cold (for us in California, which is in the 20's) I use plastic baggies in the toes of the shoes to block airflow.

Dec 2004
    I usually wear my shoes with some socks, not sure about everyone else.

Keep the rubberside down
    Dec 2004
    well for starters - jeans never fit the bill - you must not been on a winter ride before???
    spend some money on a good pair of insulated biking pants preferably w/ windbloc panels. Might also want to pick up some overbooties depending on how wet the trails are - this really saves freezing your feet off. Took me a couple of years to learn this.

Turner Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Grey Hair
    well for starters - jeans never fit the bill - you must not been on a winter ride before???
    spend some money on a good pair of insulated biking pants preferably w/ windbloc panels. Might also want to pick up some overbooties depending on how wet the trails are - this really saves freezing your feet off. Took me a couple of years to learn this.
    Guys don't also forget shoe covers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drumbum
    I wear a pair of black long underwear bottoms over some biking shorts, complete with wool socks and gloves. Depending on how often you fall, jeans may or may not work. The windstream will freeze your jeans in a hurry. Best to get some kind of stretchy yet warm pants.
    Quote Originally Posted by radair
    I'm not sure what the shoes have to do with your question. If you're asking about winter riding pants, wind front tights are the way to go. Pearl Izumi and Cannondale make some really nice insulated ones, but you have plenty of choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd
    I wear inexpensive winter riding tights with built in crotch padding under some non-insulated snowboarding shell pants. Works well and keeps me comfy and warm.
    Thanks. Bought some Pearl tights and REI baggy shorts with padding. For a top I got a thermo shirt (thin but warm), spandex cotton top, and a windproof, waterproof ultralight jacket. This combination is VERY nice and warm. Now the only problem is cold feet and hands.

Derailleurless
    Now the only problem is cold feet and hands.
    For feet, I bought a cheap ($15), slightly large pair of under-ventilated shoes off of Specialized's website. For socks I wear a pair of traditional bike socks as liners standard "hiking" smartwool socks over them. I've got little wrap-around stretchy shoe covers if it's really chilly or wet.

For hands, I've got two different weights of winter gloves. I wonder if my fingers have poor circulation because they get cold very quickly. My warmest winter gloves are non-cycling specific, a pair I picked up at REI from a brand called Serius - fairly thin, but well insulated. They do a decent job of keeping my digits flexing.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Nothing!

Careful...don't scroll down too far! Happy New Year!

Rides with Scissors
    Now the only problem is cold feet and hands.
    feet: neoprene booties that go over my road shoes. for the mtb i've got some garnae polar boots, but before i purchased those... i used neoprene socks in my regular mtb shoes. bought a size larger than i would normally use so i could wear a thin 'wicking' type sock or the feet get sweaty. gore tex socks are also an option, but they can be twice as expensive and their waterproofness washes away with time.

hands: gore windblocker gloves, also bought those in a size larger than normal so i could wear padded (fingerless) gloves under them as i couldn't find any w/ decent padding. can get pricey unless found during a closeout sale... BUT! mine did keep my hands warm even after a dip into an icy creek (neoprene socks kept the feet warm & dry during same incident). so i think they're worth the $$.

ymmv.
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem

Yeah that was scary....

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Nothing!

Careful...don't scroll down too far! Happy New Year!

Didn't know where the H e l l that picture was going! learn to use a crop tool...crop it at the knees!

Part-time rider

Leg warmers

If you're going to wear buggy shorts, you may want to check out leg warmers. They'll keep your legs warm without the bulk of wearing tights underneath the shorts.

K-Zero
    "It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be"

the wrench
    heres what i rode with on monday with -20C weather. for my feet, regular cotton socks, my sidi eagles, and a pair of louis garneay neoprene booties. for my legs i had my padded shorts with a pair of tights overtop and then a pair of louis cool weather pants(termal material with a nylon front) and to top it all off i had a pair of nylon track pants over top of all of that. for my body i had a normal jersey with a coolmax jersey overtop and then a fleecy sweater(should have been two thinner layes cause it got warmer.) and the my louis jacket which is one of their multisport shells. the for my hands i had i nice thick pair of thinsulate gloves with a water/windproof shell over top also made by louis. and then i had a bellaclava on with my helmet over top.

even with the -20c weather i was plenty warm. allthough i had to keep my camelback under the outer shell and teh hose tucked in my sweater or else it would freeze within 5 minutes. oh and i even had to fully open the pit vents it got that warm underneath everything.

just rember to layer lets everything move allot easier and you can easially loose one or put on eback one if you get too hot or too cold.
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

Card Carrying Member
    What do you wear with your clipless shoes in the winter?
    NOTHING! I run platforms.

mtbr member

Not fashionable but..

I ride early mornings while still dark out and way below zero all the time.

For my top I where a cotton T then a cotton pullover turtle neck, fleece pullover and an outer shell. I usually ditch the fleece once I get going.

Bottoms- Leftover Army crap, blend long underwear, BDU winter weight pants.

Shoes Specialized Rockhopper with smart wool socks.

The only time my feet have been an issue is when I decided to cary my bike thru a half frozen swamp in early spring.

Besides my bike iceing up and not being able to shift and ice on the rims so I couldn't stop- my socks froze to my feet. I got home I had to thaw my laces /pry my feet out/ then peel down the frozen slab of sock inch by inch.

Someday when I'm rich I'm going for full gortex suit or something state of the art-haha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    NOTHING! I run platforms.
    That's why I got Mallets M's as well . Clipless are MUCH more efficent though.

Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by garboui
    even with the -20c weather i was plenty warm. allthough i had to keep my camelback under the outer shell and teh hose tucked in my sweater or else it would freeze within 5 minutes. oh and i even had to fully open the pit vents it got that warm underneath everything..
    camelback makes a cold weather hose that has neoprine on the hose and the tip has a soft rubber cover that closes...blow the water back in the bag after you drink....works great for me...i ride all winter long here in Vermont.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Zero
    If you're going to wear buggy shorts, you may want to check out leg warmers. They'll keep your legs warm without the bulk of wearing tights underneath the shorts.

K-Zero
    Those things don't stay on with me. In a couple of minutes riding, they're both down to my knees.

Jul 2004

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro_506
    Those things don't stay on with me. In a couple of minutes riding, they're both down to my knees.
    pull em up about 3 " higher under your leg gripper on your spandex shorts. Unless you have legs like a twig that should keep em up.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by vermont
    camelback makes a cold weather hose that has neoprine on the hose and the tip has a soft rubber cover that closes...blow the water back in the bag after you drink....works great for me...i ride all winter long here in Vermont.
    Or you could just fill your camelbak with hot tap water. It cools off enough in the tube between drinks, but never has a chance to freeze.
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Jul 2004

No good Hot Water

Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Or you could just fill your camelbak with hot tap water. It cools off enough in the tube between drinks, but never has a chance to freeze.
    i've tried that and the water in the tube isn't enuff to give me a satisfying drink and if you get any of the hot water in your mouth it tastes gross...IMHO

The endless excuses guy
    May 2004

Wally World

The expensive stuff:
    Spend some bucks on a pair of Lake MXZ300 (~&160) shoes. Use wool socks and chemical toe warmers. You need the chemical warmers becasuse the cleat on clipless pedals conducts the cold right to bottom of you feet. My tootsies stay nice and warm down into the teens. Get some decent gloves too. A PearleZumi beenie for yer beenie costs about $20 and fits nice under your helmet.
    The cheap stuff:
    All my winter bike duds come from Wal-mart. They sell polypro style shirts for ~$5 each. I wear 2 of these (1 short sleeve/1 long sleeve). Top that with a fleece, which should be chosen based on outdoor air temp (wally world has light weight to middle weight stuff cheap). Over that wear a Wal-mart wind breaker. Most of this stuff is made be "Starter".
    I'm no Wal-mart freak, but after dumping so much dough on my Gemini, I'm too poor to by anything from a bike shop. Besides, since its so cheap, its no biggie when you tear it up on a crash. The polypro stuff wicks moisture from your skin so you stay nice and warm. Its amazing how cold it can be outside while wearing so little clothing.
    If your toes or hands get cold, you're bumming. Haven't found a Wal-mart solution for that yet.
    The picture is of me in all my dorky glory decked out in outfit that costs less than $60.

mtbr member

However.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    The picture is of me in all my dorky glory decked out in outfit that costs less than $60.
    you are actually out riding during the winter instead of sitting inside and complaining about how cold it is. Doesn't matter how you look or where you got the outfit, it matters how you feel after a ride. I may be cold and wet, but I am always smiling when I get back
    Riding in the mud is fun. Going out and getting muddy on purpose makes me feel like a kid again.

P.S. Before all the trail conservationists flame me for riding wet trails, I ride next to the Russian river where it will all be under water within the next month before the water recedes later in the spring. Mother nature scrubbs everything new each year. No damage done and I get to have fun.
    Cheers
    Grover
    "I may be slow, but it's ok cause I'm also old"

inner peace to make peace

gore-tex bootties over wool socks

gore-tex bootties over wool socks

got em from 'cheaperthandirt'

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/m...PUR26BVK3C1484

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com
    “Everyday is a good day,” from the Blue Cliff Records, Yun-men (864-949 AD).

inner peace to make peace

@#$! that was funny

Quote Originally Posted by Dijridoo
    sorry - couldn't resist
    @#$! that was funny, LOL!
    “Everyday is a good day,” from the Blue Cliff Records, Yun-men (864-949 AD).

the wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    neither hot water or the hose cover will worl in -20C weather. the other guy i was riding with had the hose cover with warm water and only took another 5 minutes or so for his to freeze after mine. allthough luckly he had brought two waterbottles mixed with a doubble dosage of cytomax so through out the ride we had cytomax slushies. the camel back warmer may only work down to about -10C but the you stil have to keep taking frequent sips for prevention.
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

We get titles?

Here's what you need instead of tights:

Tights just don't cut it in the extreme cold and if you generally wear jeans when riding, chances are you're not a tights kind of guy. Get yourself a pair of these downhill pants:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/134...Edge-Pants.htm

or

http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/Prod...=04088009F.jpg

or something like them. They keep you warm and give you added confidence. In the spring, I'm always afraid I'll scrape up my bare legs, after wearing these pants all winter.

PS - Try to get red ones - they'll make you go faster.

Jul 2004

blow the water back up the hose into the bag

Quote Originally Posted by garboui
    neither hot water or the hose cover will worl in -20C weather. the other guy i was riding with had the hose cover with warm water and only took another 5 minutes or so for his to freeze after mine. allthough luckly he had brought two waterbottles mixed with a doubble dosage of cytomax so through out the ride we had cytomax slushies. the camel back warmer may only work down to about -10C but the you stil have to keep taking frequent sips for prevention.
    your body heat will keep the bag from freezing....it works trust me pal i ride all year round up here....

Jul 2004

these are what i wear for winter riding

Quote Originally Posted by upNdown
    Tights just don't cut it in the extreme cold and if you generally wear jeans when riding, chances are you're not a tights kind of guy. Get yourself a pair of these downhill pants:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/134...Edge-Pants.htm

or

http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/Prod...=04088009F.jpg

or something like them. They keep you warm and give you added confidence. In the spring, I'm always afraid I'll scrape up my bare legs, after wearing these pants all winter.

PS - Try to get red ones - they'll make you go faster.
    they are suprisingly warm and you can layer under them in really cold stuff. Ya the ground is hard when its frozen its nice to have padding and plastic pads between you and it if you fall.

Jan 2005

Idea! Solutions for cold hands

I ride in the winter, both MX and MTB and I've found a few great solutions for cold hands. I ice climb as well and that's where I developed most of these ideas.

First off, I use wrist warmers. You lose stacks of heat through your wrists. I use a very heavy pair of old merino wool socks with the toes cut off. Sometimes I use these with a thinner pair of old thermal legs I cut off for this purpose.

I have a much more complicated set up when the temps dip even further. I sewed up gauntlets with little narrow pockets and filled the pockets with rice. The two ends are elasticized to fit over the forearm and wrist. I toss these in the microwave for a few minutes and then strap them on and immediately go ride. This set-up works amazing especially for MX but is a bit unwieldy and takes time and patience to make.

Mittens suck for dexterity but keep your hands a lot warmer. You can also go with a hybrid where the index is seperated but the other three fingers are in a mitten-this is a good trade-off IMO. All said though, I use MSR Cold Pro gloves when it's wicked cold out.

I've used chemical hand warmers in the past under my wrist warmers and that can work well, but I've found I stay warmer overall if I put the handwarmers on my neck.

I also sewed up some handguards out of ensolite and nylon but that's more of an MX thing; an idea I stole from ATV'ers.

I also layer hats and peel them off as I start to increase workload.

Cotton sucks. I stay away from anything cotton this time of year.

PM me if you have questions on anything

Trail rider and racer
    This is what I wear for cold winter riding, particularly for night sessions:

All from Assos.

and

I never got cold this winter. The clothing feels very good and keeps you incredibly warm. The only downside that for a pair of tights and a jacket like the above you'll spend close to $500
    Trev!

Rollin' a fatty
    Man, I really like your style. Are those things affordable?

I liked the Wally World solution but in the tropics no cold weather gear is needed

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    Man, I really like your style. Are those things affordable?

I liked the Wally World solution but in the tropics no cold weather gear is needed
    Assos stuff is incredibly expensive, and thus I have only bought 3 of there items for winter riding and none for summer because a pair of shorts costs about as much as a nice carbon seat post.

That being said, the fabric is second to none, and extremely hard wearing and keeps a rider very warm without having to throw on too many layers. In our coldest conditions I wear just one layer of ASSOS stuff.

The chamois are amazingly comfortable. Very thick material is used and it makes for the most comfortable I have ever ridden, once they wear in a little.

I wish I lived in the tropics but whilst we don't get the coldest weather here, it still gets a bit raw during the peak of winter, and particularly during nights, when I do a good bit of riding during winter time.
    Trev!