What do you wear on a trail ride?- Mtbr.com
    TimB

What do you wear on a trail ride?

I have been wearing some old nylon cargo shorts and a T-shirt before. But Im getting new bike and want to get some of those cycling shorts with the nylon and seat pad. But I need some pockets for stuff on the way to the trail. So I would wear some nylon cargo shorts over them. Or I have seen on Amazon some loose fit, padded bycycle shorts that have the cargo type outside layer , with an attached padded inside short. What do all you other mountain / trail riders wear on the trail?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I've found mtb clothes are personal choice. I ride with guys that go full lycra, and guys that are in more bomber DH-type clothes. I personally ride 99% of the time in typical knee-length bike shorts and some kind of moisture-wicking T-shirt.

As far as brands -- for shorts I use Club Ride. They're usually cheaper than top tier brands like Fox or Pearl Izumi, and can be found at most non-bike-specialty shops (i.e. REI, *****, etc). Most come w/ padded compression shorts too (but not all). Most have some kind of extra pocket on the short leg to hold stuff.

mtbr member
    Baggie shorts with a removable inner padded short. Royal - four pairs, Jett Gear- eight pairs, Oakley - two pairs , Bontrager - one pair, Yeti - two pairs and a couple other pairs I can't remember right now. I only own MTB shorts. I find them very stylish and very functional for riding, going to the gym, running errands and working in my office. I try to get shorts that have a medium weight material, a mesh liner for sweat control and a pocket that doesn't allow an iPhone 6+ flop around. It's kinda hard to find all those in a pair of shorts. Often, you have to give one up. I find Jett Gear shorts to have the best build quality. Although, they are no longer in business. But, sometimes you can find a pair on e-bay.

mtbr member
    650b = flat shoes (modified turf shoes), compression socks, knee pads, baggie shorts (converted swimmers), compression long sleeved top, synthetic Tee, Wind Breaker (mid Winter here), glove liners + one size to big gloves, helmet, safety glasses (keep mud out my eyes), back pack + 2L bladder...

If I'm riding my 29er, I'll have on my clipless shoes.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Rocking on a Rocky
    On bad days I wear some of the trail and vice versa.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I like wearing good quality mountain bike specific baggies with removable liners. Zoic's are my favorite by far...either Ether or Black Market. They are comfortable, the liners are good, and they are cut to stay out of the way of the saddle and not snag. Any moisture wicking shirt is fine.

mtbr member
    Socks optional.

What do you wear on a trail ride?-fat_cyclist.jpg
    "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
    Mark Twain?

mtbr member
    Club Ride 3 hour liners with a thin baggy short, like Fox brand. Thin nylon T.

Rollin' a fatty
    Moisture wicking t shirt and Endura Humvee Lite shorts.

mtbr member
    Both pairs of my Fox shorts were in the wash, so I tried a pair of boardshorts. Worked great! Shorts are shorts.

mtbr member
    any drifit shirt will do for me - short sleeves on cooler days, and long sleeves on sunny days or when riding out in the open. i prefer a bit longer baggy somewhere below the knee with 'traditional' roadie shorts underneath. shoes are 510 vxi with the red laces. socks are anything i pickup from the closet. met parachute is my default helmet nowadays when out on the trail.

i don't care about the brands of the shirts and shorts as long as the colors aren't painful to the eyes and i'm comfortable with them.
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

9 lives
    Slim fitting designs (I don't like material flapping and rubbing), and synthetic that's moisture wicking. I also starting wearing fabrics that contain anti bacterial/ anti stink which is especially perfect for long sweaty rides, running and crossfit training. Lululemon brand is my current favorite brand. It's versatile (ie not just a yoga brand)

They have men's styles

Men's running clothes + yoga gear | lululemon athletica

Women's: yoga clothes + running gear for women | lululemon athletica
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

since 4/10/2009
    I have several different ones.

Generally, I wear a regular lycra short with a baggy over it. I have a few of the "liner" type lycra shorts that come with some baggies, and they've been hit-or-miss for me. The Pearl Izumi one I had worked well until I wore it out. I have an REI Novara brand one that's not bad. I have a Club Ride one that's absolutely horrendous. The fit of the shorts is awful. Interestingly enough, the Novara baggies don't fit very well, and the Club Ride baggies fit very well. I have a pair of NZO Dobies that are my favorite baggies right now. My preference for baggies is that they're not TOO baggy, that they be somewhat stretchy (I find these two components prevent a LOT of snagging on the saddle), and that the length is just at the knee.

I ride in an extremely variable climate that can be very warm and extremely humid, and I don't want too much extra fabric when it's super sticky.

I generally like synthetic t-shirts, but in the extremely humid weather, I do like jerseys with zippers so I can ventilate better.

As things get cooler, I start adding heavier fabrics and more coverage. My options for cooler weather get much broader depending on specific conditions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Slim fitting designs (I don't like material flapping and rubbing), and synthetic that's moisture wicking. I also starting wearing fabrics that contain anti bacterial/ anti stink which is especially perfect for long sweaty rides, running and crossfit training. Lululemon brand is my current favorite brand. It's versatile (ie not just a yoga brand)

They have men's styles

Men's running clothes + yoga gear | lululemon athletica

Women's: yoga clothes + running gear for women | lululemon athletica
    Lululemon is the best stuff made. I have several of their shirts and tank tops. It's about all I wear now. But, it's so expensive, I can't bring myself to wear it while riding.