What do you use to clean bike clothing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

What do you use to clean bike clothing?

Funny question i know but my jerseys smell rotten even after i wash them with vinegar. Anyone have any tips or tricks?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I think its the regular wicking stuff. Ive noticed that they have a funky smell when you get them wet with sweat or even drinking water. Thats despite loading up on the Right Guard Bleach will kill most anything on them, but as soon as you sweat into it, there you go again. Start buying stuff with some sort of bacterial control. Cotton doesnt have the same problem, but wont wick as well.

mtbr member
    Fire.

Nothing short of that will get the smell out. In fact a few years ago Patagonia ran a great skunkworks campaign. If you (or the people around you) really care about the smell, check out wool stuff (smartwool, etc) as it is a natural fiber and fights stink better. I've got some bamboo stuff too, but I'm only half sold on it.
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

mtbr member
    Maybe try some of that new Tide detergent. Tide sport for getting the stink out of workout clothes.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '16 Heller Bloodhound rigid

mtbr member
    May 2010
    A vinegar presoak works well. (Or just throw some vinegar in with your normal laundry detergent)

mtbr member
    I soak mine in undiluted vinegar before washing.

BBW
    mtbr member
    i just order this http://www.sinkthestink.com/
    As of right now, I'm soaking things overnight but other people's comments are very promising

mtbr member
    Put them outside in the sun for a day or two. That will clear any smell. Works even for these diaper thingys.

mtbr member
    Simple Green has been working for me and I am a sweatin fool.
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

mtbr member

Washing Bike clothes

http://www.windetergent.com/

Smells great and works on all of my bike stuff.

Just drink it
    Get some of the scent killing detergent. Look for the Sport Wash brand. I use it on all my hunting clothes, especially my base-layers that soak up all my sweat. Works great. Comes in a small bottle but you only use a cap full per load....it's super concentrated.

I pee outside as much as possible

Don't worry, be happy!
    Stinky Bike Gear recipe:

Soak in "Biz" overnight, at least 12 hours. this is an enzyme
    based presoak that goes after organic matter, not your regular presoak.
    Then, rinse that out and then run through the wash with a laundry product
    called Oxyclean, which is not an detergent it's an additive. You should be
    able to get that at any supermarket.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjim57
    http://www.windetergent.com/

Smells great and works on all of my bike stuff.

This is regular detergent premixed with Oxyclean, and repackaged at a nice premium price for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    thanks for all the advice ill give these methods a try. I really need it I almost make myself pass out from the stench of my jersey.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    http://www.mcnett.com/MiraZyme-Enzym...nator-P55.aspx

This stuff really works, Mcnett make several cool things.

RLK
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I use Nature's Miracle enzymatic cleaner from the pet store. Dump ~1/2 cup in with the regular detergent.

I looked for Biz everywhere, and never did find it. As a pet owner, I always have some Nature's Miracle around.

mtbr member
    Guy I ride with uses the sanitize funciton on his washer. He says it kills the funk. Of course you have to have the baller washer to have this function...but if you are in the market for a new washer this may be something to consider.

I've had good results with Oxyclean. Vinegar seems to work as well (plus it is much cheaper than oxyclean and you can use it for cleaning your camelbak bladder).
    Signature

mtbr member
    For those who use enzyme based cleaners...Do you have to use it every time you wash your gear or will it get the funk out for a while?

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by William_Cannon
    For those who use enzyme based cleaners...Do you have to use it every time you wash your gear or will it get the funk out for a while?
    not all the time; just when the funk comes back

RLK
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by William_Cannon
    I guess that depends on how funky you get... For me and my husband, about once a month is about right. I'll sometimes spray down the stinkiest parts and let stuff sit for 10 minutes or so before washing, instead of adding it the machine.

I would experiment a little and see what works for you... And, of course, check for colorfastness first!

beater
    2nd on the merino wool. I tend to ride in Icebreaker T-shirts more than anything else. It would be nice to have more wool options in bike-specific clothing- thinking 3/4 sleeve jerseys, etc, but I suppose the synthetic fabrics are a lot cheaper.

I just flat out won't wear synthetic wicking layer when I'm backpacking or similar these days. Compared to the new generation of merino wool, they suck in pretty much every way aside from price. Patagonia's Capilene is the worst. You smell a funk even before you start to sweat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an
    Guy I ride with uses the sanitize funciton on his washer. He says it kills the funk. Of course you have to have the baller washer to have this function...but if you are in the market for a new washer this may be something to consider....
    I used the sanitize feature on my washer last night with a little Oxyclean on some clothes that were so bad they were unusable anymore and I couldn't smell anything on them when I got them out this morning. Success.

Broke college student
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
    Get some of the scent killing detergent. Look for the Sport Wash brand. I use it on all my hunting clothes, especially my base-layers that soak up all my sweat. Works great. Comes in a small bottle but you only use a cap full per load....it's super concentrated.

I second this! It does a really good job of getting blood out of stuff for post-crash wash loads too. It has de-stinkified some of my nastiest clothes!
    I like beer.

Rollin' a fatty
    regular detergent is all we use

Members who have read this thread: 0