What do you look for in clothing?- Mtbr.com
    the target bike basher

What do you look for in clothing?

No flaming aight. Im working on starting a small clothing buisness based around FR DH, DJ/Etc and the riders that continue to make the sport what it is. Tees, Hats, etc.. What do you guys look for in clothing? for riding and just chillen, Id like to hear some insight. Thanks.,
    Quote Originally Posted by mothahucker
    Go hit some more two foot plywood jumps in your culdesack on your toys'r'us magma

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by puttsey
    No flaming aight. Im working on starting a small clothing buisness based around FR DH, DJ/Etc and the riders that continue to make the sport what it is. Tees, Hats, etc.. What do you guys look for in clothing? for riding and just chillen, Id like to hear some insight. Thanks.,
    thats a good idea, for riding darker colors and baggy shorts with the lycra inside, sweaters (black, dark (hides the mud)) or tighter fiting short sleeved shirts...oh and one more thing for riding...hot pink lycra suit, gotta be tight though cause i dont want to get made fun of

Jun 2005
    IMO the clothing thing is for the BMXers

Florida Rider
    zip-up sweatshirts for those cold days

the target bike basher
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastHucker
    IMO the clothing thing is for the BMXers
    Heh, IMHO I dont like the BMX market and way more into DH, Fr, etc, More air, better bikes, way better terrain, pretty mountains, etc.
    Go hit some more two foot plywood jumps in your culdesack on your toys'r'us magma

the target bike basher
    Quote Originally Posted by free rider
    thats a good idea, for riding darker colors and baggy shorts with the lycra inside, sweaters (black, dark (hides the mud)) or tighter fiting short sleeved shirts...oh and one more thing for riding...hot pink lycra suit, gotta be tight though cause i dont want to get made fun of
    Thanks for the feedback... but Idk if the whole lycra would sell...haha

the target bike basher
    Quote Originally Posted by atomrcrkhsbiker
    zip-up sweatshirts for those cold days
    Yeah thats a def. DIdnt come to mind because today is effin 93 with 80% humidity

Jan 2006
    yeah stay away from whites.
    Every one of my whit tees has splatter stains on it!

the target bike basher
    Quote Originally Posted by #1 Hucker
    yeah stay away from whites.
    Every one of my whit tees has splatter stains on it!
    Thanks.. Also, so, sizing? Like, what would all of you want more, MUscle fit, or loose fit for tees?

Florida Rider
    Thanks.. Also, so, sizing? Like, what would all of you want more, MUscle fit, or loose fit for tees?
    Slim fit tee's

mtbr member

If you do make bike shorts/pants make sure they are cut loose enough to look cool but tight enough so that the crotch doesn't get caught when your trying to get back from behind the seat. Everything else is just fashion, screwing up that detail could get someone hurt.
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

the target bike basher
    thanks for all the help guys, now...onto design, oh boy

notabouttoseeyourlight
    he....he...he...
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

the target bike basher
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    he....he...he...
    haha i knew you would come in here sooner or later

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quality, durable fabrics. I ride with a lot of folks who buy Fox - a good example of spendy s**t that snags the first time you wear it.

formica

Pro Crastinator
    i look for the Dickies tag. that shizz is indestructable.....

TNC
    noMAD man

You just made me $5.

Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    i look for the Dickies tag. that shizz is indestructable.....
    I was beginning to think I'd lost the bet, but you came through.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I was beginning to think I'd lost the bet, but you came through.
    this crash put me out for 3 months, but the dickies shorts were ready to do it again.....
    Last edited by .WestCoastHucker.; 01-23-2007 at 10:00 AM.

Jul 2004
    Im a fan of the tighter fitting Ts and stuff, like mediums, bold colores from the 80s are aways sweet, bright greens, baby blues, browns, blacks, are the standard.

cool bike related frazes are a must, like
    "ride or die"
    "flowSTRONG"
    "Where the Lift at?"
    "Ride Free or Die"
    "Down is Better than up"
    "Cranking Sucks"
    "You Know What they say About a Man With Long Travle..."
    "F*ck it and Huck it"
    "If you dont wear pads your not going fast enugh"
    "I like pie"
    "milk"

you got the idea, feel free to use any of thoes

Jul 2005
    as long as it keeps true to the culture it will be a great company for sure...i like more tighter fitting tees, comfortable shorts and pants. baggyish riding shorts, with pads/pockets. comfortable jerseys...etc and everything everyone else has said. and nice hats....

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfreerider510
    as long as it keeps true to the culture it will be a great company for sure...i like more tighter fitting tees, comfortable shorts and pants. baggyish riding shorts, with pads/pockets. comfortable jerseys...etc and everything everyone else has said. and nice hats....
    werd on the hats

Feb 2006
    shoot for individuality... start a trend, you have a better shot at success with that, than by copying the same old.

myspace.com/inspiredclothes

not dealing with mtb but imo good stuff, ive seen 100s of this stuff sold the first week.

Reels & Wheels
    Mike, you look sleepy.

local trails rider
    A lot of the current clothing makes you look like a wannabe sponsored rider. I do not mind distinctive features in clothing but I hate looking like an advertisement.

If a piece of clothing is made for riding, the design and materials have to be up to the task.

Jun 2004
    I'd like to see more riding gear that puts function over fashion. Despite the seemingly large number of companies putting out "DH-Specific" gear, it seems like most of it is re-badged motocross gear. I'm tired of having shorts that chafe the hell out of me, are so stiff and awkward that they catch on everything, and don't let me pedal well. I had a pair of Oakley shorts that worked well. They were made of a thinner synthetic material, and they got torn up somewhat, but I was willing to have torn shorts to be able to ride more comfortably. Jerseys are pretty well developed right now, but I think shorts/lower half still has a long way to come. Current shorts are made out of so many pieces of fabric, have extraneous rubber logos, and just don't look that good. I haven't had good luck with "Lifestyle" clothing either. Chinos and jeans don't cut it for me when I'm riding. I'd prefer something that came in black/grey and other colors you'd want to use while riding. Huge logos are not necessary. No "Sweet new features" please. Stick with things that work like zip flys and button closures. Please do not add bulky, uncomfortable velcro "waist adjustment straps" to the sides. They hurt when you fall on them, get packed up with mud, and almost never work.

Cheesiest
    Straight up normal stuff that isn't tight, but not rediculously baggy. For me, dickies and white t-shirts kill it. Wouldn't mind some better shirts with low key logos that don't cost $50.

I like air!
    Jerseys - Cool - breathable and comfortable. Not too flashy.
    Shorts - Comfortable, pockets with zippers. Again, not to flashy.

Apr 2006
    Small logoís, like a stylish letter or symbol. Iím not a big fan of wording, huge pictures or logoís, just something that small and stylish. Also, speaking for the broad shoulder clubÖa lot of clothing is made for the typical skinny guys. Nothing against skinny guys, but for those of us with big shoulders, itís nice to find shirts that donít just get longer as the size goes up. I didnít read through everyone elses posts as Iím at work, but this is what I look for. Same goes for hats, Iím just a symbol guy. A good for instance is if you ever watch the show ďinkedĒ you can see Hartís hat, he sports the Hurley hat because itís just the letter ďHĒ, but itís stylish, and itís the first letter in his last name. That show isnít a bad show to get good ideas from either, as those artists(tattooists) are talented!

the target bike basher
    Quote Originally Posted by KomodoRider
    Im a fan of the tighter fitting Ts and stuff, like mediums, bold colores from the 80s are aways sweet, bright greens, baby blues, browns, blacks, are the standard.

cool bike related frazes are a must, like
    "ride or die"
    "flowSTRONG"
    "Where the Lift at?"
    "Ride Free or Die"
    "Down is Better than up"
    "Cranking Sucks"
    "You Know What they say About a Man With Long Travle..."
    "F*ck it and Huck it"
    "If you dont wear pads your not going fast enugh"
    "I like pie"
    "milk"

you got the idea, feel free to use any of thoes
    hahah yeah those are so effin gay mang

the target bike basher
    Quote Originally Posted by stgil888
    I'd like to see more riding gear that puts function over fashion. Despite the seemingly large number of companies putting out "DH-Specific" gear, it seems like most of it is re-badged motocross gear. I'm tired of having shorts that chafe the hell out of me, are so stiff and awkward that they catch on everything, and don't let me pedal well. I had a pair of Oakley shorts that worked well. They were made of a thinner synthetic material, and they got torn up somewhat, but I was willing to have torn shorts to be able to ride more comfortably. Jerseys are pretty well developed right now, but I think shorts/lower half still has a long way to come. Current shorts are made out of so many pieces of fabric, have extraneous rubber logos, and just don't look that good. I haven't had good luck with "Lifestyle" clothing either. Chinos and jeans don't cut it for me when I'm riding. I'd prefer something that came in black/grey and other colors you'd want to use while riding. Huge logos are not necessary. No "Sweet new features" please. Stick with things that work like zip flys and button closures. Please do not add bulky, uncomfortable velcro "waist adjustment straps" to the sides. They hurt when you fall on them, get packed up with mud, and almost never work.
    very good post, thanks

the target bike basher
    Quote Originally Posted by Reamer
    Small logoís, like a stylish letter or symbol. Iím not a big fan of wording, huge pictures or logoís, just something that small and stylish. Also, speaking for the broad shoulder clubÖa lot of clothing is made for the typical skinny guys. Nothing against skinny guys, but for those of us with big shoulders, itís nice to find shirts that donít just get longer as the size goes up. I didnít read through everyone elses posts as Iím at work, but this is what I look for. Same goes for hats, Iím just a symbol guy. A good for instance is if you ever watch the show ďinkedĒ you can see Hartís hat, he sports the Hurley hat because itís just the letter ďHĒ, but itís stylish, and itís the first letter in his last name. That show isnít a bad show to get good ideas from either, as those artists(tattooists) are talented!
    yeah im 6 2 and its hard to find shirts that dont make me look like im wearing a toddlers shirt.. i hear ya, thanks

the target bike basher
    also, if any of you have any design ideas, please share ha

mtbr member
    mmmmmm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Signatures are for losers

the target bike basher
    Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider188a
    mmmmmm
    Thanks for not having anything nice to say. And not having any originality by using Ebaumsworld. @$$clown
    Last edited by puttsey; 05-30-2006 at 02:47 PM.

SamIAm
    i say that there needs to be riding shorts that are baggy with the padded ass made outa something durrable like ballistics nylon or something swheet like that with a mesh liner so they are conforatable. and they need small pockets that will hold like a cell or ipod or 420 stash without it all sliding around n shiz. and they need belt loops cuz thats just ezy sqweezy.

and not flashy, subtle designs that are there, but dont just jump out at ya from a mile away.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

the target bike basher
    Quote Originally Posted by SamL3227
    i say that there needs to be riding shorts that are baggy with the padded ass made outa something durrable like ballistics nylon or something swheet like that with a mesh liner so they are conforatable. and they need small pockets that will hold like a cell or ipod or 420 stash without it all sliding around n shiz. and they need belt loops cuz thats just ezy sqweezy.

and not flashy, subtle designs that are there, but dont just jump out at ya from a mile away.
    gotchya, kevlar shorts with padding and small pockets

Glad to Be Alive
    lots of ventilation
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

SamIAm
    oh and some gloves that have strong enuf padding n whatnot that wont rip to shreds with one fall. that would be nice.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

Giant STP 06
    Make sure you have nice pictures of everything, especially with people posing/riding with it on. And make sure theyre not ugly looking

not really a noob
    loose fit on everything, 3/4 sleeve jerseys in black
    longer shorts that are baggy but stay up
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

SamIAm
    baggy shorts that stay up that dont have a baggy crotch so it doesnt get stuck on the seat.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

Oh, So Interesting!
    I wear Pearl Izumi Ultrasensors (BEST ass padding I've ever tried) and Core Rat shorts. They are heavy cordura, and do not breathe well, but they are a good design and are very rugged. Shorts that fall below the knee when your on the bike get in the way of pedaling... I have a Core Rat jacket, its good, but not very breathable... I can't wear it going uphill, and dont bring it on trailrides. Tees are good, not too tight, not too loose My favorite one is a Smartwool tee ($$$), synthetics feel a little clammy, but some are ok.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by SamL3227
    baggy shorts that stay up that dont have a baggy crotch so it doesnt get stuck on the seat.
    yes................
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

not really a noob
    everyone who contributed to this thread gets free merchendise
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcore newbie

just remember I posted 3 times

Feb 2004
    someone should think about making some clothes for females...that are actually wearable...

1. try not making short shorts...just cuz we're girls doesn't mean we don't want to cover our thighs from trail rash

2. preferably clothes that aren't of Easter colors

3. style...it's all about style...screw the comfort....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    make somthing that can be worn in cold weather that is waterproof. cause not everyone has the lugjury of living some were that is sunny and 70 dagree's all year

notabouttoseeyourlight
    apparently not all of us have the luxury of a public education either...
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    apparently not all of us have the luxury of a public education either...
    haha, ya i know my spelling sux. but i dont trust in teh Publics Skool, i go to a privat Chatholic skool

the target bike basher
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcore newbie
    haha maybe discount

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    someone should think about making some clothes for females...that are actually wearable...

2. preferably clothes that aren't of Easter colors

:

easter colors are in for the females...........no black

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    what do i look for in riding clothes? i don't look at the clothes part as much as the gloves, helmet, shoes and armor. Clothing wise I sitck with a pair of dickies plain front pants and a tshirt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.8m/s/s
    If you do make bike shorts/pants make sure they are cut loose enough to look cool but tight enough so that the crotch doesn't get caught when your trying to get back from behind the seat. Everything else is just fashion, screwing up that detail could get someone hurt.

Look at the cannondale shorts from a few years ago. I have a pair that I love, they have these straps to hike up the crotch of the shorts so they clear the seat.

Members who have read this thread: 0