what do you consider excellent upper body armor?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

what do you consider excellent upper body armor?

what do you consider excellent upper body armor?

I am not referring to helmet.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Excellent body armor should come on and off easy and provide good ventilation. The materials being used seem quite sufficient but the designs are still clunky.

It seems people want to use body armor to protect shoulders mainly? Elbows and forearms easily protected without full on armor. Are you looking for back / abdominal protection?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I am looking for back, shoulders, chest protection. I have seen armor made of D30 foam. this is the standard in the industry.
    should Evoc has protector jacket. it looks very beefy. this is the URL. what do you guys think? is it better than alpine stare evolution jacket?
    Evolution LS Jacket | Alpinestars

PROTECTOR JACKET - EVOC - PROTECTIVE SPORTS PACKS

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I just bought the Evoc bevause I had a crash with a shoulder injury 3 weeks ago - the back and shoulder protection is really solid - the other protectors (chest) are very thin and won't help much in case of a crash

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rushy41 View Post
    I just bought the Evoc bevause I had a crash with a shoulder injury 3 weeks ago - the back and shoulder protection is really solid - the other protectors (chest) are very thin and won't help much in case of a crash
    I am thinking of getting Evoc protector jacket. is this the one you own? does chest have decent protection?

Ride More - Suffer Less
    I also looked for shoulder protection after 3 surgeries and getting back to riding. It just seemed like it would really only protect against a hard glantz, not a bad thing as separations happen that way.

I felt any hard impact would just transfer through. That coupled with the fact most shoulder injuries come from extension of the arm during crash or forced impact through elbow (according to my surgeon).

I even made what I considered the best solution (still) available but did not have the funds to bring it to market. This is actually what lead to Sweat Buster.

The market gave us old chest protectors from motocross days, which were really roost protectors to keep you from getting peppered when your buddy gets on the pipe in front of you. For MTB I didn't really see the need for chest protection. Collarbone I consider, shoulder. I focused on back should and elbow with a system that is easily removed and re-attached.

I would like to see various weights of armor. Heavy Duty for DH and Parks etc..all the way over to lighter versions for Cross Country / Trail. I think the newer designs are much better like the EVOC but to me that is a-lot of armor for a Trail ride.

When would you wear that setup?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I returned the Alpine star evolution jacket because the arms mesh are too small.

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yes- it's the jacket. As I said - chest protection is poor, nothing serious. Only thin foam, no SAS pads like in the shoulder area

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yes- it's the jacket. As I said - chest protection is poor, nothing serious. Only thin foam, no SAS pads like In the shoulder area....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    What do you think of leatt motocross outer body armor? Would it be suitable for biking?

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    What do you think of leatt motocross outer body armor? Would it be suitable for biking?

For general "biking" I think its too much. For specific usage like bombing shuttle runs it looks great.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i have the leatt chest 5.5 pro and love it. leatt makes great stuff in general. their neck brace integrates into the chest protector also
    2017 yeti sb6c turq x01 eagle

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by useport80 View Post
    i have the leatt chest 5.5 pro and love it. leatt makes great stuff in general. their neck brace integrates into the chest protector also
    does the chest 5.5 pro have good foam padding?
    what about kidney protection on this thing?