What clothing/armor/padding do i need?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

What clothing/armor/padding do i need?

Any who answers this question...and knows what they are talking about...would be greatly apreciated.
    Im planning on doing my first cross country race in new hampshire in just a few weeks. I have a trek fuel 80 ( stock ) and im wondering what gear i should buy. questions that ide like answered include..
    should i buy chest armor?
    full faced helmet?
    special tires?
    shin guards?
    etc etc..
    Thanks a lot to anyone who answers.

DOH!
    The quick answer: none of the above...with the exception of shin guards, which if you're running flat pedals, are invaluable (says the flat pedal guy that put a trio of holes in his shin - to the bone! - last summer by neglecting to wear his shin guards ONCE). If you're clipped in, no need for shin guards.

Long(er) answer: heavy-duty armor is usually worn for more "extreme" riding, freeride, DH, dirt jumping, etc. Protection in a crash is good under any riding circumstance, however, armor tends to be hot, and you'll cook in an XC race if you wear it.

Wear a good XC-type helmet (not full-face), full-fingered gloves, and your favorite and most comfy riding attire (lycra is NOT a prerequisite to race, despite appearances). You'll be fine...and you'll be comfortable (well, at least as comfortable as you can be in an XC race ).

If you start dropping off roofs, hitting 25 foot doubles, or riding down stuff that's too steep and rocky to walk down, then invest in a full-face, arm and knee/shin pads, and perhaps torso armor.

Have fun racing!!

Jan 2003
    For a XC race....just the helmet my friend. A decent, lightweight XC helmet should be fine.

Jan 2003
    oh...and shorts of course. You're @ss will be all torn up if you forget your shorts!

Mar 2004
    I was also wondering what kind of shorts i could get that wont get myself laughed at...cause i gotta say im 17 and i really dont like the tight shorts. ain addition what gloves and seat you may recommend.

mtbr member

Shorts

OK, here's the reason that you really want to wear lycra shorts: if you are serious about getting to the finish line as fast as you are able, you need to have your seat high enough for efficient pedaling. That means that your knee should be *slightly* bent at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

If the seat is set properly, then one of the many times you will be sitting down again after getting out of the saddle (you need to do this to "hammer", or pedal hard while standing), you will catch the crotch of your baggy shorts on the nose of the saddle. If you are lucky, it won't be at a crucial time when you need to get your weight back quickly to avoid going over the bars.

If you're racing for fun, disregard the above and dress however you want. By the way, nobody really cares what yer scrawny ass looks like anyway. Most gay guys don't hang out at mountain bike races, as far as I can tell.

PS: I used to kayak. I laughed at my buddy the first time I saw him standing there with the spray skirt draped fetchingly around his hips. Then he told me that a friend of his had once bailed out of his flipped boat in a rapids, and been sucked underwater through the "hydraulic", or undertow at the bottom of a falls. He swam out to the shore at the opposite side of the river and crawled up the bank, dazed and exhausted. As he stood there, my friend yelled repeatedly at him, but could not be heard over the roar of the rapids. So then he grabbed his spray skirt and pulled it up, repeatedly. The guy who had just saved himself looked confused, but finally started mimicking my friend's motion with the spray skirt. Then he finally realized what my friend, and the woman with him were trying to yell to him. His pants had been sucked off by the the hydraulic! (Totally believeable if you've ever been sucked through such a thing.)

Walt

Apr 2004
    Totally off the subject... I love that picture of your cat with a watermelon on it's head, that sh!t has got me cracken up!

Apr 2004
    "Then he finally realized what my friend, and the woman with him were trying to yell to him. His pants had been sucked off by the the hydraulic! (Totally believeable if you've ever been sucked through such a thing.)"

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaaaa

Man that's too funny, didn't even know he was chillin' on the side line with his dong all shriveled up due to the cold water eh, lol.... too funny!

I still where the baggies, just with lycra underneath to protect my boys and my arse.

Members who have read this thread: 0